How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Did lead follow rounds with team member whose partner wasn't there. Yet again to a great height match... O the joys of being 5'1. But it still amazes me some times out well I've learned to move and adjust to leaders. I surprised myself how far I can move sometimes. Feels like I'm flying. Feels good :)
  2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Practicing Latin again for the first time in ages. It's fun to do something different, and even better than my partner finds himself enjoying it again after a year and a half of not doing it.
    chomsky and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

okay 10 min practice today! better than nothing.
    stash likes this.
  4. bluslu

bluslu Member

So broken. Last practice before comp. Did a run through. Bronze went okay. My newcomer leading was a bit lacking. Silver was a bomb. We rotated partners. I've come to realize that I've settled into a comfortable rhythm with my silver partner and my bronze partner, who are strong(er) leads and when I dance with weaker leads, my silver is falling apart. Boo. I know I picked them as leaders because of their leading ability but I need to remember how to support myself. Blergh...
    latingal likes this.
  5. chomsky

SAME TODAY...AT LEAST I'M GOING TO A SOCIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  6. Janson

Janson Active Member

The last practice before a competition...and it went well! Such a nice feeling that all 9 are performable, if not remarkable (at least not for the right reasons). Doing Cha Cha, Samba and Jive in a row is rather exhausting however, need to work on stamina rounds.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice yesterday, good work on basics and applying improvements to routines. Had a chance to get some partnered practice in. Getting to practice with no pressure regarding "getting it right" while partnering (as in pro-am) was just a whole lot of fun!
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Light on the number of practice hours this week, but the ones I did get in were effective. Worked on:
    - precision of foot placement (angles, edges, etc.)
    - posture and more posture
    - weight changes, concentrating on the recovery in between steps
    - engaging and using my hips

I still need to spend some time figuring out how to put all of these things together at the same time, and to find the balance of pushing but being in control with the inclusion of these pieces, but it's coming.
  9. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Can't. Move. My legs. That break was a little too long... But finished Cha and Rumba in time for Sunday. See you at Leicester, Janson ;)
  10. latingal

Body was a bit tired, especially the feet today. Still managed to get some good work in, but not as much as I wanted to. Thought I might be meeting up with another pro-am student to practice together, but in the end she couldn't make it. Tomorrow is another day....
    chomsky likes this.
  11. latingal

Partnered practice today....opportunity to not worry about technique and dance. Worked some new choreography and on the connection. Nice!
  12. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Tonight's dancing sucked, because I just couldn't get warmed up and limber enough to move. I guess I'm going to start wearing leggings or something, even when I go out social dancing, to help out. A friend of mine told me her body decided to quit when she was thirty-seven. I'm thirty-five, and it's been markedly this year that I can't drink sodas after 9 pm, I have to actually do stretches/warmups before dancing in earnest, arthritis and sore muscles affect me longer than usual, and I gained back all the weight I'd lost with absolutely NO changes to my (joke of a) diet. Now, I'm actually going to have to start taking myself seriously and start doing the right things for myself, so that I can keep taking my dancing seriously. Now, I know that if I don't, I'll pay for it, and I'm trying to stay off the whining thread.
    chomsky and latingal like this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

from a creaky 48 year old; water is your friend...in the Fall people don't drink enough of it b/c they don't percieve thirst as often...older folk do get sore more often in the colder months but water can help...other things that I will not be without for this same reason are; aspercreme (for no smell)or bengay (preferred) if I can get away with using it without offending any one...basically, I use the stuff in every legal location...obviously advil, because no other pain reliever works for the stuff I get...and yes, I try to stretch or do yoga as often as possible as well as running the heater in my car as hot as possible on my way to dancing..... plus rotating all joints and pointing and flexing before I even step on the floor....and you are right; weight makes a difference
    Hedwaite and latingal like this.
  14. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I do the car heater thing too, on my way to lessons. Also, as water is not my beverage of choice normally, I bought a home soda machine, and carbonate my water. This doubles my fluid intake. I do love the bubbles. :)
    latingal likes this.
  15. fascination

yep...pretty much as long as it isn't caffienated or alcoholic (both of which dehydrate), you're good...if you happen to do lots of that, well, you have to drink even more stuff without it
  16. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Serious workout at practice today. My feet and calves are sore already; usually they don't get sore until the next day, if that.
  17. fascination

I envy you ...I wish I had a practice partner...and, as it is, I couldn't even manage to practice alone this week...not a good thing given the state of the union
    chomsky likes this.
  18. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

This was actually solo practice. I don't get much dancing together any more as usually one of us has to be looking after the kids. It's my only real exercise, though; if I skip it more than one week in a row, my body starts going all lethargic and wonky.
    chomsky likes this.
  19. latingal

It feels like I'm getting to the last of repetitions for the technique modifications in the basics; which probably means I've got at least another couple of weeks to go. Probably another 4 weeks before the changes make it solidly in to my routines. After all this, you hope that it's going to make a difference....
    chomsky and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  20. chomsky

6MIN PRACTICE! WOW. AMAZED AT MYSELF. IT TAKES GUTS, I'M PROUD OF MYSELF, I'M NOT JOKING. ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, IT'S A MIRACLE MY 6 MIN.