How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes just getting out there is an accomplishment..... :)
    stash, chomsky and FancyFeet like this.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Latingal, how right you are. How true this was. Thanks for hugging me from the other side of the earth.:inlove: it's so nice to be here. it's just like dancing...it's like a dance family no matter how virtual still and always a family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    latingal and stash like this.
  3. latingal

Practice today was short. Long weekend ahead so I wanted to save my feet, but still get a bit of work done on the current subjects. Thought it went pretty well; will be continuing the work for the next month in repetitions. Checked in on the posture work I did 3 months ago and found that it was slipping in samba, so I took a bit of time to refresh the work. Will have to check the other dances to see if it's slipped there too.

For the past year I have noticed that the precision of weight placement and path of my left foot is not good, and it drives me insane every time I see it in the mirror. I'd better get that resolved now while I have a bit of time.....more repetitions, oh goody.

It's never ending.
    chomsky likes this.
  4. chomsky

on the other hand, that's the nice thing about it. dancing and learning is a neverending process!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are dancers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. chomsky

10min practice today! wow, it's been a week and a day. I'm happy I'm back at my feet. Hopefully will keep at it!
    latingal likes this.
  6. latingal

Practices this last week have been about repetitions and more repetitions.....I just hope the muscle memory kicks in soon.... ugh.
    chomsky likes this.
  7. latingal

Interesting practice today. Was exploring some new work from recent coachings. I am not convinced that I should take 100% of the info in to my dancing as of yet.

Exploration today was resulting in some questions regarding trade offs between grounding and body/hip action. I think I need to save this one until my next lessons with my pro when I can clarify some things.
    chomsky likes this.
  8. latingal

Good solo and partnered practice today. Need to get back to doing some work on the rumba routine.....
    chomsky and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  9. chomsky

45min! It's been some time! What a nice feeling it is...you get to enjoy yourself!!!!!!!!!!!
    latingal likes this.
  10. latingal

Samba, you are so mine now......
  11. latingal

...or not....
    LT likes this.
  12. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

In addition to an hour of solo practice, managed to get two dances in with partner today. There were a few bars when she had an amazing top. When I asked her if she was working on it, she said, no, she was just trying to soften her legs and follow. I guess all those years when she didn't have such a good top, it was because I wasn't leading it!

Now to figure out how to keep leading it after the first half bar.

I also got one dance with my 5 year old. Afterwards, she said, "daddy, I love dancing with you." Wow, that's what ballroom is all about!
    latingal and chomsky like this.
  13. chomsky

so so true!
  14. chomsky

After two weeks of problems in multiple levels, I am so happy I practiced again. So, I’m out of the plateau, hiatus, break, quitting call it whatever it is! I practice all in all 5 times yesterday. I just wouldn’t stop it! I’m so so happy with myself!!!
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  15. chomsky

Lucky me! another practice session today. okay not a full hour only half an hour, but what the heck! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    latingal likes this.
  16. latingal

Unfortunately I'm off the floor for a week. I am getting positively itchy to get back to work.
    chomsky likes this.
  17. chomsky

it's good getting itchy!!!!I was planning on giving up on my party with all that is going on...But I got itchy too. It's so nice, this feeling, isn't it?
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Had an *amazing* practice with my amateur partner yesterday. Our lead/follow is definitely the weakest part of our dancing as a couple, and our coach gave us a drill that's kind of a "game" to force us to be aware of each other and the roles each of us had in the connection. She came in looking ragged (it's a rough time of year at work for both of us) but it was far and away the most focused practice time we've ever had - the "game" really sharpened our focus and the time flew by!
  19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Right now, its not. But starting tomorrow after finals, I'm really excited to get back!
  20. bluslu

bluslu Member

Had a lesson with Ed last night. Ed lessons are always so very educational but also exhausting. So many things to work on. Including an exercise he's been giving to his pros lately. No big deal, Ed, no big deal. Looking forward to putting everything into practice, as hard as it's going to be.