How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Back to practicing after being off for a week. Feeling unfocused trying to get back on track with the subjects I worked on before the time off. Ugh. Still not back on track. Rough solo practice. Not over my own feet yesterday.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

excited to have time today to get in a practice...planning on a long one and planning on enjoying it

chomsky and latingal like this.
  3. fascination

thus far; open smooth waltz and closed gold standard waltz and foxtrot focusing on form, alignment use of feet and hips, balance and control over the standing leg, also foot placement, used of head, sides, etc...specific attention to spin turn/turning lock, and twist turn....

4. fascination

round 2; tango (Am. and intl) also smooth open vw and then some work on ru, cha, samba and jive

latingal likes this.
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm jealous you have the time for a long practice! I'm in week two of two weeks off of practice, but I'm finding time to fit in some good conditioning and injury prevention workouts.

6. fascination

my workouts are actually the biggest impediment to my practice, but they are also how I pay for a portion of my lessons, so...double edged sword

7. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I have managed to practice the last ten days. Next target:p? persuade myself to practice all day long no matter whether I' sitting in a chair or cooking in the kitchen...find my old optimist friend in me...

twothreefourone likes this.
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Just had my first practice since Ohio. I feel much more refreshed and ready to tackle some newly made goals. Dancing didn't go as poorly as expected (nothing special though.. it was still a freakin long break). Feel much more able to tackle quickstep, etc after I've been working on my conditioning. During practice, got to try out my new standard skirt I got for xmas and heart rate monitor- pretty cool!

9. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The problem with practicing in really cold weather is that after you cool off in the cold air on the way home, your sweat continues to evaporate and you freeze.

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Mine is that it takes almost the entire practice time to warm-up completely... and I don't have enough free time to add an hour to each practice through the winter months!

(But thank goodness for heated seats. This car feature has likely saved me from countless pulled hamstrings.)

11. Dancing Irishman

Really short (~ half hour) first practice back. That being said, it was a quality one. Rumba technique warmup felt better than ever, and I have my open rumba routine more or less back in muscle memory. Cha cha technique was another story, unfortunately...

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

First practice after about a month off over the holidays...oy I have to get back into shape quickly! So exhausted.

13. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Short ones this week. I'm a little sick, and am trying really hard to keep it from turning into a full-blown, incapacitating head cold.

This means lots of sleep, no gym work-outs, and short (no more than 90 min) visits to the studio. Lot's of technique repetitions, as the energy just isn't up to doing full run throughs... can get a little boring, but useful and necessary!

15. fascination

worked only international today; cha, ru, and jive, waltz, foxtrot and QS...all closed gold....worked at control and turning my own body and a host of technical things that I am too lazy to share....but it's nice to know that I haven't forgotten it over what will have been a month by the time my lessons occur on monday....and heaven help us if they are delayed another week

16. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Second day of jive practice, shall we place bets on how many more 3h jive practices I'll survive? :p

Begone Christmas paunch. Begone already.

latingal and chomsky like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Active Member

I was very listless at practice today; it doesn't happen very often - I think I may have been pre-occupied by knowing that after practice I'd have to drive home through yet another round of blowing snow. Then, my knee got some kind of kink in it, so I fixed that by taking off my shoes and drilling/dancing barefoot. So, all in all, I lasted only an hour.

chomsky likes this.
  18. chomsky

barefoot? I almost did that the other day, I had no other resort. Eventually, I didn't, but what the heck, it's the only thing I haven't done yet,why not my next dance target when the floor isn't helping!

19. chomsky

practice is going rather smooth. I'm almost back on my practice schedule. unbelievable! still, trying to persuade myself to think dance while sitting or typing...but we'll get there!!!!!!!!!!

latingal likes this.
  20. Dancing Irishman

Short solo practice today...went very well! Starting to get back in the swing of using my body like a dancer instead of being a bit of a couch potato over the holidays.

Then...practiced with my partner for the first time since the holidays. We were both fighting cold-like symptoms, but it went phenomenally! Really starting to synch up and two practices in arow have ended with us jumping up and down high fiving (only metaphorically today).

latingal and chomsky like this.