How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

There's no feeling quite as exquisite as nailing an epic throwaway oversway on THAT exact beat in tango.
    latingal, ajiboyet and chomsky like this.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very well done! You just reminded me of a friend of mine who had the same effect on me when we danced!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Couple of last minute practices before MAC went pretty well - less feeling like I'm going to die. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, when we might dance something like 5 full rounds within an hour and a half?
    Warren J. Dew and stash like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

saturday; worked on turning my foot enough on the turning lock,also on lifting at the right time on quick open reverse...and on hover corte ....all in gold standard waltz...then working a few pesky lines in smooth waltz...also, some foot placement in twist turn and hover cross in intl FT...and a small bit of tango....more tomorrow
    latingal likes this.
  5. fascination

sunday...round one; all latin dances... looking at use of feet in cha and samba....other stuff...waltz; turning foot enough, using floor
    latingal likes this.
  6. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Second practice with partner this week wasn't as phenomenal, but still felt like we got better in our lead/follow from start to finish. She expressed a desire for me to dance with more "swag", which is going to be an interesting development journey to say the least.
    latingal and ajiboyet like this.
  7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Practice in the empty studio yesterday... loved having the space (and the control of the sound system!), but was v. hard to get and stay motivated. Shorter practice than I had planned, but a good one.

Worked on the wall and a half in waltz where I have a tendancy to hold my breath, playing with it to figure out the best spots to breathe. Also did some foot position review, and worked styling for a bit (same walls). Finished up by running through my new walls in foxtrot, trying to feel the weight transfer and timing to get rid of that "I'm counting" look. It's getting there.
    latingal likes this.
  8. fascination

determined to make tuesdays paractice day since they are no longer lesson days...amazing how losing somethhing makes you realize how much it meant to you all over again...

1st round today: spirals in ru....trouble spots in my cha, corrections to intl waltz, intl ft, and smooth waltz as well as a bit of vw just for kicks
    latingal likes this.
  9. OreganO

OreganO Member

My partner and I have really found some great torsion in smooth and standard these past few weeks back and it feels fantastic! Plus, our movement is feeling much more finished.

Additionally, I've discovered when very tired, I walk around campus practicing cuban motion... fortunately exhausted=late at night :)
    cornutt and latingal like this.
  10. fascination

round two of practice today; tango, both styles also american open FT...and QS...also some jive and paso
    latingal likes this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think you mentioned giving up a style? Which one? Sounds like it might be rhythm? :(
  12. fascination

yes...I don't see it as giving up...I see it as putting it aside for now...and I am fine with that
    debmc likes this.
  13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It's been awhile since I've posted on the forum....life has a way of making like a sno globe every once in awhile. Practices though have been awesome. New practice partner is great! Dedicated, disciplined, talented and with drive/motivation. Finally someone who matches up well with me in the desire and discipline to practice together.

Dancing has been going great. Feeling like the floor and I are finally finding ourselves on pretty good speaking terms at times. Now if I could only maintain that in lessons and on the comp floor life would be good. Day off today....back to it tomorrow!
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I imagine words can't do justice to that feeling. It's just best for it to be felt by everyone.

Everyone has a different definition for that word...LOL.
  15. Dancing Irishman

True, though she meant it more in the sense of what they talk about when contestants try hip hop on sytycd.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Practice today was solid. Did maintenance work on rumba then some work on incorporating pointers from group class into my cha cha and paso and finished with a full blown technique and choreo session in samba.

I *will* master promenade run timing in samba. Just not today. Or this week, barring a minor miracle.
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

And here I was thinking you were going to dance clad exclusively in corporate giveaways with logos :p
    ajiboyet and Dancing Irishman like this.
  18. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Life does play tricks to us, to all of us, at different times if not at the same time. New practice partner!!!!Wow!!!!!My party partner, if you can call him that, came back from the see only yesterday, so we are back on the horse, yupee!!!I can become a woman once again! Hooray!!!!
    latingal likes this.
  19. Dancing Irishman

Forgot about that meaning. Among ultimate (frisbee) players, it usually refers to ridiculous neon colored apparel worn by some of the better players (and/or people who just enjoy looking goofy).
  20. fascination

some cha (cuban rocks) and waltz trouble spots