How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Terrible practice today. Just couldn't focus and kept bombing picture lines. Also very distracted by friends there.

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Decent practice today. Endurance wasn't really there, but I was able to get decent quality and movement in my upper body. Samba and cha cha drills to full speed music are coming along as well.

3. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Long practice to the point of exhaustion today, it was great. My feet soaked in epsom salts for half the afternoon :D

chomsky likes this.
  4. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Figured out what was making the base of my left big toe hurt, and how to fix it - I think.

5. Janson

Janson Active Member

Horribly slippery patch of floor made for some very gentle steps during Paso Doble. Everything is pretty much coming together - showcasing new Cha and Samba routines in a week. Very exciting.

6. Well my last practice was a pretty much hard and then I forgot it :(

7. Warren J. Dew

Fix worked.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

What did you change?

9. cornutt

Showcase waltz practice yesterday went pretty well. We're almost all the way though the choreography; there's only about 20 seconds of music to go. We've got enough of it together that we're able to make a list of what needs to be worked on. :p

10. Dancing Irishman

Didn't practice for the first day in over a week and kind of going through withdrawal...you know you've gotten addicted to your practice sessions when...

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ru, cha, and jive...then waltz....found myself taking my shoes off after 5minutes...will try again nother day

12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

A month or a month and a half almost withour a regular practice schedule. Many doctors visits, illness and a lot of overtime, finally a bad mood resulted in this period of non practicing. I guess I should wipe it off, stop looking back and start looking forward. What the heck, it will be spring anytime soon and then it will be summer. Summer in Greece, is there anything better in life? I guess there is. It’s a 20 min practice two days ago and a 40 min practice yesterday. Fingers crossed, this time I will make it. The first week will be the hardest- it’s always only the beginning that is difficult afterall. So, looking forward to my practice today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cornutt and RiseNFall like this.
  13. Warren J. Dew

The problem was that on the second step of the standard foxtrot natural turn, I was initially taking weight onto the ball of the big toe of the left foot. Changing this to initially take weight on the toes, and only touching the ball of the foot down after the turn is completed, fixed the problem.

cornutt likes this.
  14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Among other things, worked on the part of my waltz routine that sometimes causes me some issues, which makes me tense up and hold my breath when it is coming, which makes the problem worse... progress was made. Enough that pro flashed a happy look and a thumbs-up from across the floor, where he was mid-lesson with another student.

Let's hope I remember the fixes this weekend.

15. fascination

not a bad day...worked rumba and cha, jive and samba, then waltz and foxtrot....felt good ...just trying to solidify concepts and retain good practice

cornutt and j_alexandra like this.
  16. chomsky

AFTER THE UNEXPECTED EMOTIONAL ROLLER COSTER THAT HAPPENED ON THE DAY I WROTE THIS, I AM SERIOUSLY RETHINKING OF EVEN QUITTING DF...

17. cornutt

Pro had to go out of town for a while on a personal matter. He left my AP and I a note regarding our showcase choreo: "Go watch these steps on the gold waltz DVD." The WHAT??? :eek: With much trepidation, we broke out the never-before-touched-by-these-particular-human-hands GOLD waltz DVD -- did I mention GOLD? -- to see how far over our heads we were. Answer: pretty far. :rolleyes: But I think I accidentally learned something from them about the telespins: it's like one of those old toys that consisted of two balls attached by a cord. You push one, and it goes until it reaches the end of the cord, and then it stops and the other one goes until it reaches the end of the cord, etc. (Actually, the example I used was "tethered satellites"... that's for you, JM!) Much more slo-mo video watching (and slo-mo dancing) to come in the following weeks.

llamasarefuzzy and chomsky like this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Practices have been short but awesome the past two days (~ 1/2 hour each day). Felt like I made real gains on upping the speed of my cha cha feet/legs and hitting the split weight position for each walk / check rather than going all the way over yesterday. Today I made some serious progress disentangling bounce vs. glide* figures in samba and hitting the straight leg before bending in cruzado walks while keeping my body movement very free. Also starting to get samba rolls and runs in terms of leg and body actions. All in all, a great two days of dance!

*Not sure if glide is the right word or not, but I mean SQQ/QQS etc. timing figures.

chomsky likes this.
  19. fascination

worked some new choreo...is a tricky thing, unlearning muscle memory

cornutt and chomsky like this.
  20. chomsky

First time after 10 days of resenting practice and resenting dance altogether! WoW! Thank God, I am back! I can't stand it, not to practice. Even if it was for half an hour, it was a huge step!I am just happy!