How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Still dealing with post-comp syndrome.

Took most of last week off, and got back to my regular schedule on Monday. Feeling a little bummed and suffering from a little lack of motivation, but managed to put in a good 90 minutes last night. Felt like progress was made on a couple of spots in waltz that tend to be not as in control as they should be, and found a bit of freedom in some rougher spots in FT.

Post-practice, was invited to stay to do a strength and conditioning work-out with some of the pros... rather intense 30+ minutes where I mostly kept up, and I'm not nearly as sore this morning as I expected to be. Apparently I'm stronger and in better shape than I thought! And got told I can join the work-out anytime I like :)

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Hmm, gold waltz. Hmm.

3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Rather quickly pounding out the open cha cha routine...about 7/9 of the way there, just need one more lesson with the coach to sort out logistics and transitions...oh, and like a ton of practice to actually get it up to speed and clean.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

reviewing new choreo....tomorrow will be more of the same and going over technical drills

5. cornutt

AP and I actually made it all the way through our waltz showcase routine, in one go, for the first time last night. And after a few more tries, we even got it to end on time. :D Did a bit of work on some of the trouble spots, and worked a bit on fine-tuning the choreo to the music's phrasing. Instructor who is doing the choreo with us will be back on Monday.

6. fascination

something old...something new...something borrowed....something blue

7. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Hit a wall on the last 32 counts of tango choreo. Hate this. Two weeks to go, and snow-days screwing up practice. Partner is REALLY lucky in that he has drawn a partner that can adapt/move very gamely.

Afterwards, we'll be looking for "dance vacation", but have found no spring workshops, showcases, or anything dance fun to crash.

8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My last few practice sessions have been happy and productive ones. That's a very good sign given just how short tempered by partner and I were getting towards each other early last week.

cornutt likes this.
  9. fascination

intl ru, waltz and foxtrot...because I want to keep those skills....new smooth choreo....nice to be working on something new

10. Dancing Irishman

Did a refresher on rumba and cha cha technique with an emphasis on the differences between the two. Also focused a ton on getting out of the mirror as a visual check and using checks by feeling instead. It's gonna be a process, but I will break that nasty habit!

Also practiced smooth/standard technique for the first time in a long time. Worked contra body motion and appropriate body shaping in the ribs and hips into the waltz basics (change steps, closed natural and closed reverse). Still jot even close to full speed yet, but I will fix my total lack of smooth technique one step at a time!

11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Fantastic (long) practice yesterday, on technique, using waltz - though it will translate across.

Spent some time concentrating on really working through my feet, using the inside edge, and leaving a bit more space. Then some time on quieting the upper body, making it stable and still with strong OP and PP positions.

Then a little work on step hops and scatter chasses in QS. Not as much as I had planned, but needed to stop and head in search of food :)

12. Dancing Irishman

Power hour with the amateur partner today. Came up with a clever finish to our open cha cha and put the whole thing to music...we were both shocked that we actually hit a good chunk of it without a problem (granted, it was a 15 percent slowdown,
    but any progress is good progress on that front!).

Now I just need to spend some quality time tomorrow with my latin and standard technique so that I don't stink come lesson time this week.

13. Dancing Irishman

Practice this morning confirmed my suspicion: I am non functional as a dancer before 8 am or minimum one cup of coffee / shot of adrenaline (COMP DAY!).

debmc and RiseNFall like this.
  14. fascination

if I have to dance before 8a or after 8p...there will be caffiene and bengay

15. Hedwaite

Fallaway slip-pivot to double reverse, contracheck. Hate this.

16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

sounds nice. Why, is it a train wreck for you?

17. Hedwaite

The slip-pivot is part of the problem, maybe the biggest. I don't know why it's so difficult for me to roll forward over my heel and rotate there, but I just can't get the rotation I need. I think maybe I'm trying to over-rotate it? I don't know, but it depends on who I'm dancing it with. It's not great with either partner, but I feel like my coach "gets out of the way" better (so that I break down on the contra-check because my weight isn't solid enough on my standing foot when I finish the double reverse spin) than my regular partner. I also feel like I'm not getting a chance to rotate into the slip-pivot part properly with my regular partner, because I can't hit that heel to save my life sometimes. Also, for nine years, the "simple" contra-check has been hell for me. It somehow never occurred to me to clamp my butt-cheeks together and twist, but on the other hand, I was also being chested over, and then I was pulling him over.

18. cornutt

Don't know if this helps your situation any, but... In doing any kind of slip pivot I've found it necessary that the partners be in close contact prior to the slip. I used to have a problems with getting separated whenever I led a chair and slip, and eventually I figured out that that was causing my partner problems with executing the pivot.

19. Hedwaite

I do think we're losing the center contact sometimes. Going to fiddle with it some today after Event Thing Rehearsal.

20. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Morning dancing, uggg!
    I am certain of it at this point that if I have 8 am comp sessions things do not go as well as later sessions, regardless of the amount of caffine... I am quite happy my first heat next week is afternoon!