How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Starting to iron out the kinks and finish up our routines...three are fully choreographed so far (cha, samba, rumba) and it's looking like we'll spend some quality time getting those nearly comp ready before we finish out our five.
  2. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Low on stamina this week since I skipped practice last week due to stomach flu. The skipped week also seems to have affected the accuracy of my technique. Doing rounds will no doubt help the stamina come back; hopefully the technique will come back too.
  3. Sooo.... 2 things have happened recently. First, I got into a disagreement with my coach about doing rounds. I just changed Latin partners and she has only learned half my cha cha. I had all open routines before I switched and I can teach them to her fairly well, its just she doesn't know a lot of Latin and mainly does standard. However, we've been practicing hard and she has been slowly picking up on things. However, my coach tells me I should not skip rounds and encourages me to do rounds with my new partner, but using 4-5 basic steps each time. A simple bronze syllabus routine for each dance. We tried it a couple of times, but it was only frustrating and it felt like we weren't getting any better by doing this. I really wanted to spend that time just working on technique and teaching my new partner the routines. She is very talented, but she still needs some time to catch up in terms of information and application. In a situation like this, is it better to just do rounds every week even if its only lead and follow or would it be better to go over technique more and properly learn all the routines first?

Second, I was trained with the basis that more rounds is a good thing and should be done at least 2-3 times a week if you have the time. However, one of my friends who also competes at the same level says that doing less rounds is better because it prevents you from repeating bad habits and cementing them into place. I can respect that different mindsets have different justifications and positive outcomes, but what is the general consensus? More is better or less?
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

AP and I practices on our showcase waltz and made real progress. We spent half an hour beating on one particular bit we were both having trouble with -- neither of us really understood our timing. So we walked it and counted it out carefully, and then once we had it worked out we ran through it at least 15 times. Sometimes lots of reps is what we have to do in order to get it committed. But now it's right.

At the end of our practice time we did one full-up, no-kidding, max-effort run through. That's the first time we've turned it up to 10 all the way through. It left us both sucking air, but it was exhilarating. It's going to be an awesome routine when we really get it nailed down. Which we'd better do soon, since we have to dance it in a showcase a week and a half from now. :jawdrop:
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Assuming you have not danced with this new Latin partner much before, I believe it is time well spent to dance together and develop the partnership. For that, basic steps are fine. To me, attempting Open stuff with someone who is minimally trained in Latin will likely create bad habits in her and you since there will undoubtedly be some "faking" involved and dependence on the routine. But I've always been a fan of developing very solid lead-follow skills.

That said, the more time you spend together, the better you will be able to feel each other and communicate as partners. In my experience, this takes time. Occasionally you find someone you instantly connect with, but more often it takes longer. It can be frustrating. You said you "tried it a couple of times" -- keep at it! This will also help you figure out what is most beneficial to her progress right now: learning the new routines, or improving her basic technique. But you need both general practice/technique and structured rounds if you want to grow as a competitive couple. If you can incorporate some advanced technique that will help her transition more strongly to Open moves, do so. But if the foundation ain't there... you're doomed. Don't paint the house before you build the frame.

Short answer is: both, but based on her background and learning style, focusing more on one may give her a bigger push to catch up to you. What does SHE feel most uncomfortable about?
  6. cornutt

More showcase practice today. We did the routine in front of an impromptu audience for the first time -- and we were way ahead of the beat. AP is never ahead of the beat, except when nerves get to her.
  7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

A little off topic...

LOL (excluding Fasc) where do you practice? Studio is an hour drive one way and I have to talk myself into the drive for a solo practice session, (not to mention it frustrates husband that I end up not getting home until after 10 PM most nights).

So now I am going to join a new gym down the street that has a good size floor I can use to practice. This is for sure going to bring me out of my comfort zone to dance outside of a studio.... Thinking this is good for me, anyway, as this is something I have been working on lately...

Anyone else do this? Where do you practice?
  8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I am fortunate in that my wooden floors are terrific and I can create a long enough space by rearranging the furniture just a little. I would have to move A LOT of furniture to create a real rectangular floor, but the "runway" works for a lot of things.
  9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I practice a little in my kitchen, and sometimes in the gym at work. The floor at work is not good for much, but I can manage a few drills. Plus, there are floor to ceiling mirrors, which I don't have at home.
  10. Sania

Sania Active Member

I'm a member at Gold's gym which has multiple locations in my town, and they keep their class schedule online, so you can see when the floor is available. I love it - at $30 per month it hugely beats the cost of floor time, and is most likely to be empty when the studios are full of evening group classes.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Technique practice (to slow music) felt great, rounds (to full speed felt awful). Doesn't help that I'm prepping to compete with routines that aren't mine this weekend...here's hoping they come together by this weekend!! They're only bronze, so learning them can't be thaaaat bad, right?
  12. Dancing Irishman

As far as where I practice, it's some combination of the gym at work and 24 hour fitness...Costco has a special on a two year membership, so I ended up getting the gym membership for under 20 bucks a month for the next two years. Pretty sweet deal from my perspective.

I'll also pay for floor time at a studio occasionally, but I try to avoid it as best I can. If I did standard, I'd probably need to.
  13. cornutt

Worked on the rough spots in the showcase routine. Did pivots until we both had the spins. Worked on a runaround with tricky balance. Lots of little places where rhythm and timing need to be improved. And the lift... my knee is sore now but I think we're finally getting it. And she practiced in a skirt similar to the one she will wear in the performance, and we had no problems with that. Tricky syncopated left hairpins, and that little place with the telemark that ought to be easy but I still blow it about half the time. Performance is Saturday. We're going to stay late after the Friday night social to get in some more time when we'll have the floor to ourselves.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

parctice days will be Friday and Sunday....looking forward to it....looks like I will be able to add time on monday and wednesday soon as well
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Had a really great tango practice today. The fallaway whisks, which NEVER feel good, felt amazing today. After that (which is at the beginning of the routine) everything else just clicked so well.
    fascination likes this.
  16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Blah, wasn't into it today. Got some good work in anyway, but today it was work.
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Got my gym membership today, and had my first full-on Latin practice on their aerobics floor tonight after work. (midnight) Whew! I discovered some interesting things regarding balance, and drilled some new technique...over and over and over. I even worked up a sweat! And, coming home after work both relaxed and energized was a huge bonus. Result....the new practice location is awesome, and I'm thrilled I found a suitable place so close to home and work! I see at least four long practice session a week coming out of this. :D
    Sania and Dancing Irishman like this.
  18. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

I'm grateful to have a yoga room in the building I live where I use it as practice room when they dont have classes, the floor quality is amazing, and if I go later at night, I have the whole floor all to myself lol When I'm not able to use the floor, I move the furniture around in the living room, to make space for practice. I also practice at the gym I go to when it's slow, my coach suggested to do so, because then you dont get too familiar with just one location, after all, each competition is located at a different place, you want to be able to adapt to a new location quickly. Also, when you practice with random people watching you, helps you get over the nerves and even develop showmanship, interacting with 'audiences' lol basically I shamelessly practice wherever I can...

I definitely have moments where I just dont feel like to dance, whether is physical or psychological reason, I dont twist my own arms, instead, I just take a break, if you practice consistently the majority of time, have a day off is not going to hurt you, it actually give your mind and body a chance to recollect and recharge. I like to watch youtube videos. when my feet hurt too much that I just have to have a break, I watch tons of videos to help visualization...

I also found myself 'perform' better when I wore cute practice wear, especially the ones that're similiar to costume (without swarovski),I'm passionate about costume design, dress the part seems like a second nature to me, I'm a believer of that quote:"Practice like you play!”

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that, practice may not always be fun, variety definitely helps me persevere, whether it's on changing location, outfit , music or practice method.

Good luck with figuring out the system that works for you!
  19. raindance

raindance Active Member

Welcome to dance forums CC DanceWear!

(As an aside, please consider posting in the standard font (black, not italic, default size) as most posters do. It makes things much easier to read!)
    ajiboyet, dancelvr and Sania like this.
  20. Dancing Irishman

First practice applying our coach's requirement that we run all of our choreo to date before working anything...hoo boy is that rumba rusty!!

Actually set us up nicely to feel some progress, and I'm sure the dominos will keep falling if we keep this up!