How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Interesting - mine has the opposite edict: work, then run-throughs at the end of practice. Something about doing the focussed technique repair and repetition while I'm fresh and likely doing it correctly to get the "good" in muscle memory, then run-throughs when I'm tired, 'cause there will be times when I'll have to dance it tired at a comp.

I'm generally encouraged to run through whatever dances I have not worked during the practice session, no need to run them all. Since I tend to rotate the dances that are getting seriously worked on, ensuring that none goes longer than about a week and a half without love, this approach is working well so far.
  2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

practices are great. had a hilariously disastrous studio performance with the mambo in which I was off time for the first half, we missed a musical cue, and pro blanked on the second half of the routine... we end up doing an open box and I'm like, "what are you going to do now?" and he just says, "I'm going to turn you out." He's learned all 5 of my rhythm routines in a month and it's been going SWIMMINGLY. so i think we were due for a mulligan. it was not terribly bad and there was more laughing than anything else. at least we did it now and not comp!. OMG, i am still giggling on the whole, "i'm going to turn you out" line.
  3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

No practice tonight, as we had torrential rains, and some roads in town were closed due to flooding! Argh. I came home all tense and wound up. Never again. It's practice after work if I have to SWIM there!
  4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Might finally be nailing the 2x3-step into 4-step turn combo for my cha cha routine!! (it's 3 full turns in a single bar of music in case the written description isn't clear...so exciting for newbie like me to finally be getting it!)

....at half speed. But yesterday's practice generated some new insight into how to make the turns easier (smaller steps).
  5. Cal

Cal Active Member

Head position. (Sad.)
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I think my tango may actually be getting worse...

(Pro assures me that from what he's seen as he's spied on my practices, it's improved over the last couple of days.)
  7. Loki

Loki Active Member

Suckingly.
    FancyFeet likes this.
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Slowly getting back into dancing. Ophm I'm out of shape... grumble grumble...
    chomsky likes this.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

managed to get some waltzin at the gym
  10. Loki

Loki Active Member

Wish I could. Rooms get occupied by floor exercisers and free weight pumpers as soon as zumba clears out.
  11. fascination

well...I work there...so that helps :)
    twothreefourone likes this.
  12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I' m with you. I'm recuparating. It's like I am starting from scratch...
  13. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

In this respect, I'm lucky. My gym is open 24 hours (unmanned), so I can drop in after work (midnight) and have the entire place to myself.

That being said, I don't know if I will continue there or not. The floor there is HORRIBLE. It's an older laminate of some sort, and it's so sticky that I can't even complete a spot turn without excessive effort. I've tried cleaning spots on it with a dry swiffer, but it gets only marginally better. It's like they mop it with Coke or something. The floor is only used twice a week for a senior's exercise class, and yet you can always see shoe tread prints and smears where a "mop" has been. Do they really need the floor to have so much grip, when all the patrons are in rubber soled athletic shoes??

This place is so convenient, close to work, and inexpensive that I hate to give up. Eh.....time will tell. There is another 24HR place about 15 minutes further away, and it's brand new. I may check it out.
  14. OreganO

OreganO Member

Last night the new dp and I had a great practice! He was extremely focused (I think me being blindfolded helped with that). Private lessons this weekend got me in a very intensely focused mindset and it was nice that he picked up on it. He made a lot of major breakthroughs too. Again, super nice. I'm hoping to get him up to a similar level to me by comp-time next spring and, with a bunch of practices like last night, it could actually happen.
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Finally got a chance to apply some posture tweaks from my last lesson...holy crap they made a difference!!!! I've never felt so balanced and in control before during latin. Now I just need to drill that fix a ton so that I'm drawn to the feeling of it instead of my old memory from 4 years of working latin turnout incorrectly.
    Sania, nikkitta and FancyFeet like this.
  16. fascination

got in a good practice on waltz today ...feel like I have that full routine beginning to soak in and am able to run it on my own to proper timing and beginning to be certain that the technical execution and the art is showing up...tango and foxtrot are a bit foggier but getting there...will get clarifications at lessons this weekend
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Sania likes this.
  17. Loki

Loki Active Member

Better a foggy foxtrot than a vapid Viennese...
  18. fascination

I adore viennese...hopefully we will get to that this weekend :)
  19. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Scoured the city for gyms with a studio with mirrors this week. Testing one of my top two this weekend, am excited :D Studio, pool, sauna, yoga and pilates for £25 per month - if it works out ok, this might be the dance-dream.
  20. Sania

Sania Active Member

Or a tacky tango :cool: