How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Or a weird waltz. :p
    Sania likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you people:p
    Sania likes this.
  3. fascination

more practice tonight.... same as last time...but a chance to more deeply ponder how it should be done at it's best...
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Well.....I solved the sticky floor problem at my gym. I steam cleaned it, which helped a little, but the kicker was the flash of a memory from the dance cruise I took a few years ago. Cruise ships have very sticky dance floors, so the ladies put nylon stockings on OVER their shoes. I tried that tonight, and by gum....it worked! I actually got some useful practice in tonight on cha-cha and rumba, without risking my knees. Whew!
    nikkitta likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Good practice yesterday, and the day before. I'm still keeping them a little shorter than normal to baby my ankle a bit, but the restrictions on what I can do are getting better daily... have worked tango, waltz and foxtrot over the last 3 days, with plenty of exercises too. Happily, ankle might be better enough to bring VW and QS back into rotation tomorrow :)

Working on controlling my rise and lower in waltz, and extending it through the entire beat/phrase; on being solid and stable through my base in tango; and on movement and ease in FT. It's coming... here's hoping it comes quickly enough to show up at comp next month!
  6. Cal

Cal Active Member

Head position - I think I'll be settling in for the long haul to work on this issue.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Last practice with am partner before she leaves for two weeks was...interesting. We were both a little off, but I think we soldiered through and got some solid work done, including experiments with design choices.

I am seriously worried she might forget big chunks of choreo while she's on vacation (based on yesterday), but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
  8. fascination

lol...am thinking it isno small coincidence that I have the tango and and the waltz choreo, but the FT is eluding me....going to have to apply myself to that next lesson
  9. Dancing Irishman

Practices have been short, but highly productive. My body seems to be responding nicely to technique fixes from my last pre Blackpool lesson with my coach.
  10. FancyFeet

Following pro's edict to not over practice while he is away... took yesterday off. Wednesday, had maybe the best VW practice I've ever had. I don't think I've ever danced it that well... but sadly, FT was just passable.
  11. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Feeling like we've made some good progress this week! He had to take some figures out of his routines bc we were traveling more :) (I say "his" routines, bc they're what he dances with his pro, not something put together for us, and not what I dance with my pro)
    Sania likes this.
  12. fascination

was sore today so just went through each routine once...and floor was sticky from humidity
  13. Dancing Irishman

Haven't gotten a latin practice in a while, but did ballroom with my partner again for the second time in a while (she took a 3 month break to bring a beautiful baby boy into the world). The honeymoon practices are over and it's back to the grind of figuring out why this or that pattern feels funky (much headscratching was involved, but there were some great "Ah ha!" moments).
    ajiboyet and fascination like this.
  14. fascination

foxtrot, waltz and tango....mostly the corrections for waltz as that is what we were working on in lessons
  15. Dancing Irishman

Practices have been more or less non-existent the past few days...but I have been doing a lot to incorporate posture fixes from this weekend's coaching into my daily sitting posture (makes me stick out like a sore thumb at work though as the only guy not slouching).
  16. Cal

Cal Active Member

My shoulders are finally feeling as though they want to stop living up around my ears. I wish I could SEE a difference though. Since I'm getting so frustrated with my shoulders, neck and head position, I decided that today I'd just focus on movement below the sternum. I experimented with the speed of the moving leg, in particular.
  17. FancyFeet

Cal, that sounds like a plan. I can't get my upper body where it needs to be (and keep it there) unless my feet, legs and hips are doing what they are supposed to. If my base isn't solid, my upper body is all over the place!

My practices this week have been ok - long, and solo though... it's great having the studio to myself for the space, but can be tough to motivate while the pros are away. When classes and lessons aren't running, the other students don't exactly keep working. May have sent an e-mail to pro yesterday asking him to tell me something 'encouraging and motivating' (he did, got a nice long e-mail back)...

Have been working Tango heavily, and W, FT and VW in rotation, as these are the 4 that I will be competing at the end of the month. Yesterday was VW (where my reverse was better than my natural - what's up with that?), tango (improving, but still a ways to go), and FT. I need to spend a bit more time on FT this week before pro comes back home. It was in really good shape, so I'd been neglecting it, and now there are a few small things that I need to work to bring back in.
  18. Cal

Cal Active Member

Worked on power from the working leg. Makes a change from obsessing over a less-than-cooperative neck.
    twothreefourone likes this.
  19. FancyFeet

Disaster yesterday. Utterly and completely terrible. I couldn't settle, felt like I was just not into the floor or over my feet, and couldn't find a comfortable shape to save my life. I went in with the intention of fixing a spot in FT, going over some waltz corrections and running VW for a bit... but I gave up partway through intended agenda item #2.

It has been a really long and intense week, and I'm sore and tired. I was supposed to do a long practice today and rest tomorrow, but I'm thinking I'll invert those activities and take today mostly off. And let's hope the bad is now out of my system and it'll be smooth sailing until comp on Friday.
  20. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Definite progress every time AP and I practice (Standard), which is exciting and very encouraging. For my own part, I need some more solo mirror time to get some new Rhythm stuff squared away. Sigh.