How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh...finding that these longer gaps between lessons are making it harder to me to remember corrections and integrate them ...grumble pout

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have to make sure I do at least a little practice within a day or two of lessons, or I don't retain very well.

3. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Had a really nice practice today. Pro grabbed AP for ten minutes of my lesson to give him some tips, and it really helped. Yay for progress!

4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Ah-mazing practice yesterday!!!! Latin partner and I are both going through some rough sailing in our non-dance lives, but we got into the practice room and just *werked*. Felt like we made big strides in all four dances (no paso til October) and had an awesome warm up samba where we just cranked the music and let it fly. One of those moments that reminds you why you're so willing to put in the hard work!!! :D:D:D:D

5. fascination

paso...wow...i used to dance that...good for you irishman...:)

6. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I had more power in my feet, legs and ankles practicing latin today than I've had in months and months and months. Don't know if it was because my neck is just maybe starting to free up a bit, or if it was because I was wearing my lyrical shoes and could really feel my feet, or if it was something else. But I'll take it.

dancelvr likes this.
  7. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Did a full two hour practice today instead of my usually hour or so, and now my legs are so. sore. It didn't seem like I was working harder when I was doing it!

8. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Full two hours with my latin partner today...ran our routines to music, and it was quite the ego bruising. Samba might be the only one we can actually do full speed without flubbing. Gonna be a tough couple months prepping for this comp end of September.

9. SwayWithMe

Really great practice w AP today. Waltz is feeling nice this week after a lesson on it on Monday. Hoping next Monday's look at Quickstep will yield similar progress! :)

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Had a good practice going last night, working on waltz (running pieces of the new routine, figuring out the little pieces like where to breathe, which steps need something taken off, where I really need to swing through with my hips, etc.) and QS (memorizing new routine and umpteen scatter chasses and step hops to get the technical corrections from this week's lesson in muscle memory) before hunger and a mass of group classes forced me off the floor.

Today, had the place to myself and it was less than inspired. Lots of exercises which were fine, but FT felt stiff and careful, and QS seemed to be lacking power - not an issue I usually struggle with! I gave up after a couple hours, bailed on my plan to work Tango too, and got ready to head out... only to receive a text from pro giving me a few things to work on that he saw last night and wishing me a good practice. His ESP must be slightly out of tune today - usually I get these messages while mid-practice or as I'm warming up (though not every day/weekend, just seemingly on days when I'm struggling to get motivated).

11. SwayWithMe

Great practice w AP today, feeling like everything we've been working on is sticking. We compete together for the first time on Sunday...

Solo practice is plugging along. I have a couple of things I'd really like to get solidified by comp.

12. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Finally getting into a good practice rhythm and structure. 40 mins of technique exercises followed by digging into nitty gritty for routines. Starting to see results from it--great for motivation :)

13. cornutt

The show foxtrot is finally coming together. We had a middle six bars where we have had a hole in the choreo; we finally worked out something last night. Now we can dance the whole thing to music and the length is working out right. It's always nice when you're doing a show routine when you get to the point that the music and the choreo are done and matched up, and you can actually start dancing the thing.

14. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Anyone ever have problems during practise wondering if you are doing it right? My pro is not standing there right next to me to correct me, so hopefully I am doing it right, but I always wonder

dancelvr likes this.
  15. cornutt

Oh yeah. It was a problem when I was less experienced; many times I managed to learn some bad habit while practicing that I had to un-learn later. I've gotten better at picking up on that sort of thing, but I still manage to mis-teach myself something every once in a while. Just today I had to correct a problem with an outside spin that I picked up while practicing it by myself.

16. sbrnsmith

So...is it better to practise with the possibility that you may be doing it wrong? I am more aware of some steps and patterns, but not all of them, so I always wonder....can't seem to talk about it with my pro, cos he just tells me to do it...

17. fascination

it depends on what you are referring to...wrong choreo isn't such a big deal...it can be easily coorrected...bad technique is a different matter IF you practice a long time between lessons...if your lessons are frequent, it can easily be corrected by a good pro...I would say that I wouldn't take kindly to a pro not answering my questions if that is what you mean...if you know enough to practice with intention and know what you are trying to get into your body, practice is always worth it...particularly if you have frequent lessons and a pro to whom you can take your questions

18. sbrnsmith

I guess I am referring to wrong technique....and I should clarify....pro is very open about questions and concerns, but he doesn't think it's a big deal like I do, if I may be practising wrong technique. The good news is I do have frequent lessons where that can be corrected

19. fascination

that is why it isn't a big deal...if he sees you that often, what you are doing wrong won't get ingrained

20. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

I also used to worry about practicing wrong, but my pro was never concerned about it. I see my pro fairly often though and can ask questions. I have discovered though, that even if I am practicing wrong, it develops a foundation, muscle memory and starting place for my pro to make corrections/adjustments. I find it useful to learn from 'mistakes'--to be able to feel what is different between what is right and what is wrong, so right can become a good habit. If I didn't practice wrong now and then, I am not sure I would ever learn how to do things right :)

SwayWithMe, RiseNFall and fascination like this.