How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

practices are mostly smooth these days as that is the focus now that there is less lesson time...but I also added some standard and latin from a former life to keep those technical skills alive...for what, I am not sure... but I worked too hard to lose them

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

If I had any ego/arrogance about being good at latin, tonight's session of full speed rumba and cha drills plus rumba routine (all solo) definitely dashed them.

Oh, and ballet class confirmed my suspicion that my core strength and flexibility have gone down the crapper. Fighting to get those back ain't gonna be fun...

3. Sania

Sania Active Member

I have found yoga to be supremely helpful for core strength and flexibility as they apply to dance. It also helps with grounding / centering.

4. Dancing Irishman

Funnily enough....I just got out of yoga class!

5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Active Member

Working on a silly showcase next week my studio is hosting.

Practicing regularly for a pro/am competition in early September which is now closer than I probably realize. I just can't get too lazy when I go on vacation later in the month.

6. fascination

practiced smooth routines...annoyed that I have forgotten some of the corrections that I had intended to get into my body earlier this week...grateful tht I will have an opportunnity to pay for them again next week...grumble

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Comedy foxtrot routine for the showcase is finally coming together. Instructor says we need to ham it up more. :cool: Going to add the sound effects to the music tonight.

8. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Waiting patiently for class and practicing my Rhythm... Happy I remember most of the corrections.

9. architeuthis

architeuthis Member

My partner has been away at a study abroad program for a month, and will be back in 3 weeks... I'm losing my mind! I know that I could be getting more than I am out of solo practicing, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

10. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

First practice with AP since the comp. We've been very focused on getting Waltz and Quickstep ready for comp, and now need to get our Standard, Smooth, and Rhythm ready for freestyles at the studio showcase in September. Worked on Standard Tango and Foxtrot today. Interesting that we needed to specifically make some of the changes there that we'd already put into WQ, but it was good to see some real progress!

11. s2k

s2k Active Member

My AP and I started with a new instructor last night, one who only coaches partners (pro and am) and who judges around the country. AP and left the lesson with a sense of "What the heck have we been doing for years?!?" because he just nailed everything we knew wasn't working and fixed it in the smallest of ways - it was like magic. And he's twice as expensive as the last instructor, so please go check the want ads for all the things I am selling to pay for him. ;)

Sania and dancelvr like this.
  12. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Knees felt really soft and supple in waltz tonight.

13. fascination

been so busy with the rest of my life that practice has taken a hit...mixed feelings about that

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Second practice back after a week or so completely off - no dance or fitness activities at all. Seriously needed the break, but now it's back to work. Felt like the rust is now gone, and despite a tiring day and not feeling 100%, it was a pretty solid practice. Posture and frame seem to have benefited from the break. Balance was bang on, and FT is actually starting to look... well, good, and has personality. Now if I could only learn that darn last short wall...

QS however, may be the death of me. I know the routine, but executing it flawlessly is a whole other matter. It's hard, and I can't seem to do the "wall o' step hops" (yet)... And I only have 5 weeks left... but if (when) I can get it, it's gonna be awesome.

Oh, and the floor today was occupied by me, pro and his partner, and another pro and his partner. If I can tune that company out to focus on a practice, that's got to be good, right?

15. Sania

Sania Active Member

But you will probably be getting more than twice as much out of each lesson!

(I've had similar experiences in the past)

16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Gads, finally back to practicing....it's been a long year, with some really tough stretches, but I'm finally back on the floor to practice.

Getting ready for a comp so am concentrating on performance. What I've been trying to practice up until now is pretty much a blur - LOL! But the practice are going well and I'm looking forward to being more concentrated going forward!

Warren J. Dew and raindance like this.
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Turns out dieting and craptacular personal weeks make for lousy practice. God, have things been unproductive for me.

j_alexandra likes this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Amen to that (well, the craptacular weeks part...the dieting isn't exactly happening on this end). But, coach and I will be emailing back and forth while he's out of town the next three weeks to add some structure back to my practice regimen, which it has been sorely lacking.

19. fascination

first practice in a while...been busy and also somewhat depressed by the slow path I am currently on....but it felt good today to dust the shoes off and see that I haven't forgotten everything

latingal and j_alexandra like this.
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

self deleted.