How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice yesterday was slow. Did not have the focus and will I needed to get a bunch done, so I worked on some basics and enjoyed a bit of exploration.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

seemed better today...hoping ofr lessons wednesday...so we shall find out

latingal likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Good long practice today...shockingly, jive to slow music was not a stuffshow (it's still not safe from the chopping block, but we've for another 2-3 weeks to make that choice).

And the other dances actually are flowing and feeling more competition ready (except samba rolls, those are still brutal).

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

alas, I always wanted to learn a samba roll, but it doesn't look like it is in the cards....sigh....

5. latingal

Practice today with am partner was great. Concentrating on last performance improvements for upcoming comp. Meanwhile, am partner is looking great. I'm really enjoying dancing with him.

Routines are all coming together and am finally getting enough repetitions to be confident with the quality of the dancing!

Sania likes this.
  6. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Using lots of video during practice has been working well for us lately. We were really frustrated after our last comp that we couldn't tell when we were using our new improved technique (our first round) and when we weren't (all subsequent rounds) -- those old bad habits felt so comfortably familiar. So we're letting the video tell the tale as we go. Eventually, it is to be hoped that we learn to feel it (or at least get the better stuff ingrained), since it does mean that we spend half of our practice time watching what we just did instead of dancing. For now, though, it's a good tool.

latingal likes this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Smooth choreo is starting to sink into memory and isn't as much of a hot mess as I was afraid it would be. Still not to full speed music, but less alarming than when I went into today.

Still gotta do latin practice, will update afterward.

8. latingal

I missed the "button" on the page to take me directly to the last page and saw some of my posts from back in 2008, I was much more amusing when I was younger....now I'm just cranky and waaaay too serious. LOL!

Practice after rounds, two sections in cha cha and samba that need to be corrected before upcoming comp. Spent an hour as mindlessly as possible doing repetitions.

9. latingal

Practice yesterday was good. Decided to work on one correction across all dances which did two things for me; reinforced the correction, and gave me many repetitions of sections I had put corrections in the last week.

Was quite happy with how the dancing was looking. :)

Sania and debmc like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Active Member

My spiral actions were working much better yesterday - it felt as though my head/neck were "allowing" me to complete the body action. So, I'm hoping that the spirals can get a lot more consistency as my range of head movement improves - and that I can continue to trust that my head won't fall off.

11. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Over and over again... a million times....Fallaway whisk in tango, hinge in waltz, step hop pepperpot in QS.
    Right now my practice is concentrated only on new steps that I feel will be a issue at comp in a few weeks...

I think my practice is equally developing the technique I need but probably more so a mental state of mind that I can do this. Bringing new routines on a dance floor is so emotionally painful!

FancyFeet likes this.
  12. Dancing Irishman

Awesome amateur partner practice today! 3 hours of latin...really starting to feel good with our routines...almost like we're actually dancing when the music comes on.

13. novellsk8

novellsk8 New Member

Hello, how long does it usuallytake you and your partner to get accustomed to a routine? I.e. from time of learning to be very comfortable with it. I know it's subjective, but would be great to know. thanks!

14. Dancing Irishman

First time working quality of motion in smooth / standard in practice....hoo boy, do I have a lot of opportunity there!!! Strangely motivating rather than demoralizing to discover too.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF! Your first routine is always the hardest. The first routine DW and I learned was a showcase cha-cha, and it took us months of three-a-week lessons. But the funny thing is, once you've mastered your first routine, learning subsequent ones gets a lot easier. I don't know how to explain it, but there's a "learn how to learn" process that happens. My alternate-alternate partner and I have only been dancing seriously together for a few weeks, but we've already put together six closed silver comp routines.

Sania likes this.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Haha there's no good answer to that...we're tweaking the routine and making design/timing/dynamics choices as we learn it (and then revising those choices as we get it worked up), but it takes us between 5 and 10 hours of dedicated practice / lesson time devoted to it to have the first blush of the routine. And then probably another 5 to 10 to get it worked up to flow to music. There are open latin routines, so it'd obviously be different for a different difficulty level or dance style (for example, I can execute near perfectly the first time in a group class that sticks to syllabus rumba patterns, because I'm so familiar with the basics of the dance; by contrast, when we start paso it will take longer for me to learn since I have no prior paso doble experience to draw from). Similarly, I was able to do my silver waltz routine with my pro to music right after learning it and was comfortable after about an hour of practice, but viennese waltz has had way more time dedicated to it but lower familiarity with the style is making the learning process take longer.

novellsk8 likes this.
  17. Dancing Irishman

Really, really good practice today. Made a lot of design choices in rumba and cha cha, focusing hard on what I will do now that my partner is all "sorted" (please read in a British accent...we do it to poke fun at our coach, who has picked up many Britishisms from his coaches despite coming from small town Arkansas). Also troubleshot a couple problem sections in both of those dances, and were able to do cha, rumba, and jive to music at the end with really good flow and an awesome ability to cover our flubs (arguably more important than avoiding flubs, since they're inevitable in a comp setting). Feeling pretty good about having a showcase in three weeks and a comp in four!

Sania and novellsk8 like this.
  18. latingal

Too many ideas needing to be worked before upcoming comp. It just ain't gonna happen. At this point it's cross your fingers and "for gedda bout it". LOL!

dancelvr, novellsk8 and FancyFeet like this.
  19. latingal

Practiced corrections from last lesson then got the he** out of dodge. This close to a comp I spend less time in practice....

debmc likes this.
  20. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Reasonable practice today. Unfortunately the practice times keep changing to be less and less convenient to me, and it looks like the window is going to close completely in a couple of weeks. Not sure how I'm going to get my exercise then.