How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

??

in check position your weight is in the middle, not on one leg. (so that you can have smooth hip action).

don't think that much about your tights, close your knees and use your center. ;)

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Samba walks fasc? stationary or cruzados? Technique wise, after rumba walks, cruzados walks probably have the biggest tally of lesson time and money on my ticket. Why? 'cuz I'm a dork and just can't figure those dang things out. *grin*

today's practice was good, worked leg action mostly. More work on controlling/grounding the weight transfer.

3. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

with what particulary you have problem in samba?? maybe i can help.

4. latingal

Hi malakawa! Thanks - I really appreciate the generous offer and I may take you up on it one of these days - I'm sure samba will continue to give me fits. *grin*

But I did finally figure out cruzados walks, it just took a lot more time and money than I would have hoped (*grin* what'd you mean I'm not bouncing - I'm bouncing!, I'm bouncing!).

Now if you could just fix my jive, I'd be dandy! *grin*

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Rising up through the body in shapes - right now in particular with the left whisk. I tend to drag down - and I think I've back trained DP to do the same. Now reaching for the distant tree tops... :)

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

cruzados:rolleyes:

7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Also working on samba.

Botofogos--Working on not committing too much weight to the front foot too soon, but instead rotating off the supporting leg as much as possible and then hitting the 1 in a split weight position.

I have a tendency to plonk all my weight (okay, maybe not all, but 90%) onto the front foot right away.

I also need to work on the "relax" thing. I tend to carry a lot of tension in my upper body even when I am not dancing, and needless to say, this carries over into dance. (I have TMJ, which means I tense my jaw and grind my teeth and often carry tension through my neck as well. Hopefully my sabbatical in spring 2009 will help me be a less tense person!)

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Aren't those Gold? :shock: Thought you were doing Bronze/Silver Latin.

9. fascination

I have drills...that are for the sole purpose of working on technique...I find it cruel ;)

10. fascination

but I am hoping that IF I live long enough to see gold latin, I may well be grateful for this agony

11. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

ah yes.... "that which does not kill us...." :p

12. fascination

only makes us bitter;)

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

or makes you say "Thank you sir! May I have another!" :cool:

14. fascination

yea...actually I am very grateful for his wisdom and his deliberateness

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

bitter pills may yet be good for you....

16. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

don't be confuse with bounce in samba. bounce is actually in your knees, but head need to be on one level. (it is not up and down).

and what is the problem with a JIVE?

17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I'd like to put another plug for Toni Redpath solo exercises dvds. I've been using them for a few weeks now, and they're really handy for smooth/standard. I feel like I'm getting ready to add the next dvd in the series to my practice routine.

Too bad, christmas tree is taking up some of my practice space.

18. Rugby

Rugby Member

Ah, almost there, just a little higher and you will be able to reach your DP's butt.

19. latingal

*grin* no confusion here, just weight too far forward too early.

I think the more apt question is, what isn't wrong with the jive? *grin* Am having coaching tomorrow and tues to address the issues.

20. latingal

practiced more precise timing of feet and body action to produce better dynamics in samba. it's coming along!