How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

practiced the weave in waltz with DP (again for the millionths time) and had another breakthrough - just by taking my step diag centre rather than along line of dance I can create a big shaping opportunity. now I have to see if its legit or not...
  2. Rugby

Rugby Member

Go for it, they never said I could not. Well let me change that. The head of the Pro / Judges organization came up to us and said we had been a hot topic at some of the meetings over our unorthodox, shall we say, way of doing some of the moves. We had learned to tweak some of the moves and timing from a guy that had learned it while in Europe. Like you noticed, tweaking some of the moves allows for greater shaping potential, hang time and musical interpretation etc. They went through the books and decided that we fell into a gray area and thus left us alone. One of the judges mentioned that since they knew we were going to be moved into open soon and thus experimenting, they looked the other way. Now that we are in open we are again experimenting with some of the moves but now at least don't have to worry about the tap on the shoulder.
    Like I said, go for it and develop a style that will separate you from the others. Since you are tall manipulating some of the moves in this manner will show you off much better.
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

hi there R! I'm starting to review all our steps for more interest. Lets face it, Gold is rather boring. We are debating about trying out in prechamp just for the hell of it - even if we only do gold steps. Did you ever dabble before deciding to move up?
  4. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

in samba (hm, in all latin dances) use more inside edge of the foot. it will force you to make small steps which will than improve your balance. ;)

it is hard to tell like this because i have never seen you dancing. but if you have a video just send me.
  5. Josh

Josh Active Member

Which weave e? Methinks the direction in which you take your step might have more to do with where you begin and where you want to end...?
  6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Good thought. weve from PP diag centre. I just looked it up and I think I 'discovered' the way its written in the book. Isn't that amazing? Apparently it works... :oops:
    [I seem to be doing rather a lot of :oops:s of late...
  7. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Got some good work done on tango today. Both my regular bronze stuff, and my showcase. One of pros from studio saw me practicing and pointed out a couple issues he had seen. Both were things I'd already written down (just this week actually), as needing fixing, but he gave me some good tips towards fixing them.
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I am very excited to get to practice tomorrow to apply some of the things from my coaching sessions the last couple of days. So much good work to focus on!!
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

?
    IFTM*

* I've forgottten this one :)
  11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

solo practise of slip pivots. They've gotten sloppy and I had not realized how many there are - all over the place.... Also fall-away oversway - there are all sorts of intricaciesd but hard to practise by yourself ;)
  12. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

As I continue to learn, I come more to the realization that practicing by self is quite a different feeling altogether. Even as the man, which theoretically is more upright and less shaped (in ballroom). Ladies, you probably feel more so, given that a lot of the shaping is led by the man. I must wonder how you can practice by self without feeling yet-more different than us men practicing by self.

Can't defeat the laws of physics. :)

Time to get one of them dance partner robots that Japan invented. :)
  13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I used to think the same thing - obviously one can practise a leg action or a swivel etc - but I though it not possible to do larger segements of routine. However, what I discovered is that I was relying too much on the lead for ballance and basically downloading my own responsibilities to him. The more I get into dancing the more I learn how much has to be done on my own two feet - if I can not dance it by myself then there is no way a lead is going to get me to do it well. Sure, I can do bigger shapes by contrasting ballance but I still have to be able to get in to that figure and out by myself. As I understand it (and I am by no means an expert) its really the secret to the ultra-light follow - being on your own feet and moving in your own ballance zone...
  14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Here's what I worked on today.

Yah-tee-taketa, yah-tee-taketa, yahkety yahkety, yah-tee-taketa

anyone want to guess?
  15. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Something in Samba?!?
  16. mamboqueen

No...that would be.

daaa da da ;)
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Cha Cha, perhaps?
  18. mamboqueen

noo!!!!

Okay; do a jive basic to what I typed....the "yah-tee-taketa" being the triple step.

Hey...I was instructed to "sing" it when I dance. The song is by Allan Tornsberg.... (he had cha cha as "1, 2, 3 ding ding" - lol)
  19. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Never would have gotten that one...

Was this one of your coachings? How are they going? How were NY lessons...sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up while you were here. Boston...I promise!
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That sort of thing doesn't work for me; only number counts of the beat works with jive, or east coast swing.