How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I got those little gems from some group seminars he gave up this way a couple of years ago. It was all about the music/timing. Very good stuff. I wish he was up this way more often.

Lessons in NY were wonderful, although not sure I'll be able to use what I got with my pro...somewhat conflicting sytlistically. The studio was much smaller than I thought it would be. Got to see Natalka as she was right ahead of me.

And yes, I realized I wasn't going to have much time beforehand...we got to the city around noon...just a PITA with the buses (we stood the whole way over). Then I kind of blanked on what Rockefeller Center was going to be like. yeeeee! So, sorry we didn't get together this time around. Definitely in Boston!
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Also, I'm not a fan of jive. I'm too getting old for that particular dance.
  3. mamboqueen

Well, I didn't think so when I first started either, Purr. But, they purposefully don't have you using number counts - *I think* primarly because of the beat values. It's so funny, because I'm sure everyone here has heard a different "song" from all the various teachers out there. I always crack up when I hear the various renditions.
  4. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Me neither...and feel the same about getting too old for jive. Or maybe I just dance it "old"...either way, not a fan!
  5. mamboqueen

Let's not even go there! I look at the video of my last jive performance and it looks like a freakin' car race that I just can't get to the finish line on. I came back and barked that he needs to change the choreography because I notice that all of the other couples have "down time" except for us. It's tiring for me just to watch it. Not to mention that being tall doesn't lend itself for that kind of speed (and anyone here can argue otherwise to me, but I'll NEVER concede the point!).
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The word to describe my jive is "mediocre" at best.
  7. mamboqueen

It used to be a good dance for me...until I started open work. Jeez...I am back to working on basic timing. It's not pretty. I just smile a lot and hope they're not paying much attention to the rest of what's going on. Really makes me long for rythym....
  8. njdancegirl

Funny, I did jive with pro right before he left on vacation...first dance of the lesson so energy was highest and I got an email from another student and her husband the next day or so in which she commented on how light and graceful I looked. I thought she must have gotten me (or the dance) confused with someone else!
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It depends on the dance with me. Interestingly, I've heard my int'l cha cha is better than my american cha cha - can't figure that one out at all. And for no good reason, I like paso doble.
  10. njdancegirl

Have thought about this many times...particularly in the swing/jive sense...but love Latin too much to go back...
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Why can't you dance both?
  12. mamboqueen

Well, don't tell anyone, but I do my cha the same way in both styles :) I just did different steps.
  13. mamboqueen

Actually, I miss...what's that dance??? errr...uhhh...oh yeah, MAMBO! ;) And actually, I kinda like bolero a bit, too. Really wouldn't mind doing some. In fact, I may take it up a bit with the fellow I danced with in NY. Will have to see.
  14. njdancegirl

Have in the past, but with limited resources (time, money, etc) feel I am best if I stick to one or two styles...two right now so rhythm would make three.

And I am a complete dork when it comes to mambo...so stiff!
  15. njdancegirl

Liked that fellow that much, huh? Maybe we'll be seeing you in the big apple more often?!?
  16. mamboqueen

Probably when the weather gets a little better. Although there's always the bus system, I suppose. That might work.

So, BOT. Have been really incorporating more pilates, yoga and stretching into my workouts. My hips and hamstrings are so ridiculously tight...it causes me some limitation in mobility in the pelvic area and tends to put a strain on the lower back. The gyro-teacher has been a blessing on that front, too. And I'm reading Dance Kinesiology (a textbook for the U of Utah DK program) and it has shed some light on some of my body issues. So, trying to fix some of the limiting factors that my body is blessed with...to help the dancing ...and the relaxation.
  17. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

here weather is always great. :banana:
  18. mamboqueen

yeah, well, snowballs right at you!
  19. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOL
  20. elisedance