How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

...question from waltzguy and answering posts regarding footwear for practicing at home move to a new thread in Ballroom.

2. latingal

practice today went quite well...worked on better alignment in swing dances and new choreography in samba. did a bit of jive also to try to keep corrections on track.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

at social studio with DP - danced all out, DP is getting better at mixing up the steps from the routines - makes dancing a whole lot more fun. I'm beginning to set limits for the social dancing with him - for example, if I can't bring my feet together when i should then the dance stops. Noticed that foot action and rise and fall are strongly related. Once your feet are together the only move you can make is to lower ;)

Great practise for frame and shape - as its way more difficult to maintain after 2 hrs dancing ;)

4. latingal

worked grounding in rumba and timing in jive. didn't feel that there was too much progress today, but hoping the body is smarter than I am. *grin*

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thinking about my spirals....examining them thoroughly...and now that I have made significant progress in forward poise and leg lines, it's time to remember to look up again...never used to have that problem when I was backweighted;)...always something...now off to suffer though straight leg with a heel lead in paso (I find that to be maddening)...then, after I am good an exhausted, I will switch to smooth and standard...lessons resume on monday thank the merciful heavens...two weeks is too long

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

backweighting is another one of Those Things that just keeps poping up - usually where you feel the most comfortable too :|

slip pivots by myself

7. fascination

mercifully it really isn't the issue anymore, but now I am facing new problems as a result...but it's okay...I will fix them

8. latingal

Worked on speed and dynamics in cha-cha, it went pretty well. Continued to work timing in jive and dynamics in samba. Worked on alignment in paso.

It feels like it's coming together!?!?!

9. fascination

trying to make sure the rotation is from the hips in FT and proportionate to the degree of turn in the shoulders, and done more gradually...sigh...feels better ...but...not sure

10. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

rumba walks, hip actions in walks and the basic...grrr...latin and I are not friends right now

11. latingal

been there, done that, have the t-shirt, don't want the shorts. *grin*

(but keep it up, I'm sure it'll come!)

12. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I have 2 weeks until I go back to school...while everyone I know is at work, I'm practicing. My goals: notice-ably improve posture and hip actions in latin, get more stretch in poise for standard and work on brushing the feet.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Just drilling rhythm basics, mostly rumba. rotating hip back more, shifting weight at proper time, etc etc etc. Also helped out with one lesson, one of pros called me over to spot one of his students while he was teaching her new lifts/flip thing for her showcase.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

weighth transfer in oversways and left whisks... good one for solo

15. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Hmm, latin and I have not been friends for a while now!!!
    Trying to work on jive/rumba basics.

16. latingal

Amazing standard practice today, very much enjoyed the dancing. I'm quite happy with improvements in frame and ease of movement. Partner was helpful and fun to dance with - lot's of lead and follow!

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

hi LG, or should we call you SG now :p

18. latingal

hiya ed! naw....latin is still my first love - and they say you never get over your first love! *grin* Though I could really get used to this standard stuff!

19. QPO

QPO New Member

Learning all the bronze level syllabus, so we have it perfect for our first comp. We can dance higher but will go back to make sure all the technique is correct.

20. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

go girl. ;)