How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh...more breakdown of precisely when the hip shifts from back to front ...more on compression and pendulum and figure 8, and when, and when on the knees and in what direction...andandandand....lol...and relax
  2. QPO

QPO New Member

Working on Waltz, maintaining body contact and brushing of feet, trying to rise and fall in right spots...so much to learn :)
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

worked rumba and cha-cha, concentrating on basic action and ease of movement.
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

trying some right brain idiation...
  5. dansa

dansa New Member

finished yesterday the choreography of our Rumba Competition routine.
    The first time i do open figures and i LOVE IT! It feels so much more like dancing then the basic stuff i did before.. im just very happy.. However i have alot of things to work on, like Spins especially. Well well..
  6. Bella

Bella New Member

Rumba as well. Nikolai says "rumba walks 1 hr everyday".
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Today worked on three of latest steps, #6 in FT, Waltz and mambo. Tried to go through all the steps and apply EVERYTHING technique wise I'd been told, but also identify any places where I still ahve questions, figure out places where I'm still making mistakes (between 2nd and third measure of FT6 don't come down completely into my fall before rising again, etc), and trying to figure out lead to make sure i can be clear about what I want.
  8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:?:

Do you have numbers instead of names for all the steps?
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

practice with DP doing pivots and also fooled around with a few open steps to get the feel. Such fun after all the focus on syllabus. Can't help feeling a bit like guilty pleasures - even though I do them with pro... Nice to have a ligher practise for a change...
  10. QPO

QPO New Member

Last night was Twilight Waltz in New Vouge and quickstep in modern. But now the teachers have gone on a cruise and wont be back for two week! So we will have to find something to do in that time...will go stir crazy!
  11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Have names and numbers ED. Names oftenn won't meann anytning to anyone who isn't an FA dancer. a number at least has some reference to people, as generally 5-15 steps in most american ssyllabi I've seen.
  12. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Had an epiphany and worked out why I am loosing my balance on some turns so things are improving. There is always the possibility that I have corrected to wrong thing :rolleyes: but will find out at next lesson....
  13. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Nothing worse than practicing on an uneven floor. Just came back from the gym in my building. Worked on jive and samba, my current "sucky" dances, primarily new choreographed sections and some basic exercises for each.
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

practiced standard, smooth and latin today. ran through 3 routines for standard, practiced nuances in choreography and more expressive upper torso in smooth, and worked jive in latin.

smooth is feeling good because it's loosening up, standard I am dancing with more ease, and latin? well jive still has some work to go....
  15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I mentioned this to my coach about this - he was under the impression that a numbered step was actually a long sequence of steps that is learned as a unit? Is that what you mean by 5-15 steps?
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Probably so, more of a pattern, rather than step. IE, #6, rumba, consists of half box, side together side, open break, reverse UAT, crossover, grapevine, crossover break, and closed. Err, something like that, it's early. :)

Or it's Turns and Breaks, or it's just #6, advanced bronze syllabus. ;)
  17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

so when you've learned #6 who do you dance it with? I mean, so the follows in the studio learn the same sequence so that you can put it to test? Also, do you learn different sequences with the same steps so that you can get used to making a decision as to what you want to follow, say a reverset UAT with? Or is that always followed by a crossover - so that the step sequence really is like a single step?
  18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Everyone works from same syllabus, yes. But lots of options, and prso encourage you to just use elements too. But even in syllabus, will stick with rumba. 1-3 and 6 all start with same first two measures. 4 I'm still doing a side together side while she's doing a turn, etc. Definitely lots of options, and encouragement to split things into elements. But the patterns also give you some nice things you can string together that all the studnets konw. I like to make up my own patterns out of the various elements both to see if pros and my regular follows are actually paying attention ;) and to test whether I'm really giving a good lead, or if they're just doing the step because they already know it.

most of the patterns in that syllabus have at least 3-4 basic elements in each one. Allows to learn the elements, but also give common patterns that the students can use, at least with other fa students. Whether they can use them with other people depends on how well I lead it. :) Course, since I mostly dance with FA students, that's not a huge help. That's why I make up patterns, or do some of the steps that were in old syllabi here that aren't known much anymore.
  19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Actually, I think thats neat - you get to dance some interesting steps from the outset. While that may not necessarily be the best route for someone who's going the competition route (where less steps and more techniques seem to be favoured) most people don't even know that from the outset and they can social dance an interesting combination without necessarily fully understanding each step.

Come to think of it I started that way myself (in a previous existence!) :)
  20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

oh, I definitely have to learn the technique too. painfully so. :) though if I'm not getting it well enough in the pattern pros are more than happy to make me spend a whole lesson doing basic box, or just doing walks, or whatever they have latched onto as my worst problem that day. :) that was last lesson with buddy teacher. Started out just going aorund floor doing FT, didn't change too much, just making sure everything was travelling more. Started out doing same on Tango, and still wasn't getting all of what she wanted, so just up and down back long side of floor working travelling, standing leg, etc. Then again on Rumba, danced a song with patterns, she picked up something she wasn't happy with, and I was then doing walks forward and backward, looking in mirror as she correct me way she wanted). hrmmm, reminds me, don't think I've practiced those walks since then and I have lesson with her monday. Might be in trouble. :D