How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Practice today was counter productive. Making correction in rumba that seemed to throw the timing of everything else off. I was probably over correcting. Resulted in less grounding and more upper body tension...it felt horrible. Will have to experiment with it again tomorrow. *sigh*

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

DP decided to practise waltz to a tango. Not actually sure why but it was a good opportunity to 'make him my music ;)' Also worked on tango (no to tango :rolleyes:) just running through routine (but I was sorking on frame, staying left and energizing my sides). Then had solo private with pro - working on speeding up the tango so we can do it to music (now there's a great idea) but some moves are very hard to activate (posted on how are you're lessons going).

3. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Actually got through an entire paso today, at speed -- a good thing, since we're doing it this Saturday at the MAC!

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good luck tomorrow, LG! today's frustration is tomorrow's epiphany. :)

5. latingal

Hope you're right sam...hate giving up a Sunday afternoon and not feeling like I got anything from it. I coulda' been eating ice cream. *grin*

6. latingal

good luck sambagirl!

7. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Thanks! Hoping we won't have to fake the entire second half like we did last year!

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Definitely good luck to you this weekend!

I don't know if you read the thread I posted it on, but my first time on the floor with open paso....suffice it to say that he decided to change the choreography a bit and it took me a good 15 seconds to finally recognize where we were. I think my back was to the judges, which was a good thing, because I am sure the horror I felt was completely on my face! The look I gave him probably suited the dance *lol*.

We also made the mistake of *always* dancing it to espana cani in lessons/practice and we got a different song, which threw me off a bit.

9. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Everyday in every way, our practices are getting better and better.

10. mamboqueen

You must have that same zen book I have *lol*

11. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Well, we've danced to different versions, thank goodness, even Blackpool versions. As for changing choreography, yes, isn't it interesting when that happens, especially on the Blackpool floor? I just considered it good practice for keeping my game face on and my focus on my partner so we could figure out how we'd get out of the mess....

12. mamboqueen

eeee...you had it happen to you on the floor at Blackpool? :twisted:

You know, it doesn't really matter in *any* other dance but paso....nothing worse than the fear of not hitting your crash at the right time.

13. latingal

I also find practices a good time to be mindful of the positive. It's either that or your partner has set you to a chalkboard writing punishment. *grin*

14. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

It actually happened in the samba, so it was a matter of shaking our booties til we got back together...needless to say, we did not make it to the next round. :(

The paso wasn't bad, but to make the crash at the end of the nonstandard song, we did have to improvise!

15. mamboqueen

Reminds me of when I was dancing silver syllabus at a comp and did lead/follow in all dances except samba (90% routine) and of course, paso. Well, the one last thing I said before we got on the floor was "whatever you do, don't change the samba routine", and what's the *first* thing he did?? It was so right smack in front of the judges that I don't think they saw it (they were looking beyond us), but he looked at me when we got off the floor and smirkily acknowledged his little goof. It was probably my mistake though...you know, when you tell your 8-year old son "whatever you do, don't strike out..." ...and then he proceeds to strike out. Anyway, it has just made me learn to have to deal with changes in choreography a little better, so not such a bad thing. Just a little :shock: at the time.

16. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Worked on those darn hip actions in latin again today...discovered that I need to relax a lot more....which is easier said than done

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Working on waltz. Just going through steps and tryinig to tweak heel and toe leads, exaaclty where and how rise and fall happens, etc.

18. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Slow motion run-throughs of all five dances (latin), due to partner's sore shoulder...

19. latingal

Practice got back on track after a bad practice the other day. Worked on alignment, the correct muscular tension and using the upper torso more effectively in rumba. Also became aware of a few spots where my pushing leg was not driving my center forward (or back) in one piece efficiently.

So glad to get back on track!

20. QPO

QPO New Member

Nothing, can't practice in the living room no room on slate, kills the feet. School on Holidays, I will see if we can practice somewhere else I am getting anxious now. Hear there is a first comp in March and we wont be ready :-(