How common is bachata?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by rails, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: :lol: I must not instigate! I must not instigate!

Welcome to DF dr-tourist.tv! I laugh because I had a kind of conversation with SD along the same lines :wink:

To my knowledge, bachata is not very popular in London. My perception is that there seems to be a resistance among salsa dancers to do anything other than salsa. Cha cha cha is trying to break through but it still has a long way to go - two cha cha cha songs in one night, kind of thing. :roll: I was at a venue recently and the DJ played a bachata. The floor cleared. From what I could tell, there were about four couples who were able to dance it, the others who remained on the dancefloor, proceed to dance salsa moves. :(

I first experienced bachata in Milan where the DJ seemed to be following a pattern - four salsa, four bachata :roll: therefore, if you want to dance, you have to dance bachata :lol: I wanted to dance, was curious and my companion very kindly introduced me to the dance. The next evening, I was dancing it when ever I could :shock: :lol:

This weekend, I danced an absolutely amazing bachata. My partner was wonderful (we have danced salsa together several times before so there was a bit of chemistry there already which helped :wink: ) and he knew how to dance it, didn't need much persuasion on my part (!!!) :lol: and it was, wonderful :banana:
  2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

So that's where you were. :D I was starting to get worried. DF hasn't seen you for a few days. Glad you're back. :D
  3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:oops: Actually, not quite to both. Milan was a few weeks ago :D and I am around for a shortwhile tonight but not yet quite back :(

Thanks for missing me :friend:
  4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Resistance? Hmmm, not resistance, it seems to be the plague! lol

The same happens in NY city, the only Salseros that dance bachata when one comes on are the few Latinos, mainly dominicans that frequent the venues.
  5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I assume you are still recovering from the Cuban weekend -- looking forward to your report! :D
  6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: I wish! :lol: I was actually very "well behaved" :lol: I didn't have today off from work therefore I came back to London yesterday :( but it was fun, met some really love people. Will submit my report later :wink: :D
  7. gypsylatina

gypsylatina New Member

I'm not sure how much this will help... Monchy & Alexandra released a CD titled "The Mix" last year which contains remixes of some of their most popular songs. Most of the songs have been "morphed" into something other than bachata but it would be a place to start. Tower records has 30 sec. samples of the songs on the CD.

On a different note: Spitfire, have you had a chance to try Bachata yet?

I have noticed Bachata is not very popular on the West coast. My family (in NY and Dominican Rep) loves Bachata. I like it better than merengue because it can be listening music as well. It has really evolved... I prefer to dance Salsa but Bachata is fun. You can do so much with it or so little if you prefer :lol:

These are my favorite Bachata artist:
    Alex Bueno
    Anthony Santos (I love his version of "Pegame Tu Vicio" what a great song)
    Los Toros Band
    Yoskar Sarante
    Joe Veras
  8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

What about cha cha cha?
  9. gypsylatina

gypsylatina New Member

The clubs I've been to on the West Coast have played 2 or 3 Cha Cha Cha songs per evening and they've never ever played a Bachata song.
  10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Bachata.. :p

Hold me close .. so close
    Give me a smile .. a little love dose
    Look at me .. looking at you
    With a hand over my heart .. i see you true
    Face to face.. body to body.. soul to soul
    i see, feel, hear, smell.. sense only you

so 123 hip... 123 hip
    oooh how i could use a tub o'chocolate dip :bouncy:
  11. Preko

Preko New Member

In France one or two bachata are played each nigth in the different club. Almost all salsa dancer knows how to dance it. There is on professor in Paris but most of the dancer learn alone.

But in all the party and in all the club there is one kind of dance in addition of salsa that we love in france, it's ZOUK.
  12. Big10

Big10 Member

Sounds like you could use a really cold shower, too!!! :p :lol:
  13. tis me tania

tis me tania New Member

wow! so as a big (veryyy big!) Bachata dancer...it's amazing to see how much people here dance it and know how to!

(feel free to ignore that, i'm just amazed since so many of my friends can't even pronounce "bachata"!)
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome. There actually aren't that many people who can do bachata but this is THE DANCE FORUMS after all. :wink: :) Glad to have you and look forward to seeing you around. :D
  15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Dance Forums tis me tania! :D

Funny bachata story from the other week... Bachatas almost never get played at my regular salsa club but, the other weekend, my girlfriend asked the DJ to play one and grabbed me for it. After it finished I turned to her and asked how she knew I could even dance a bachata... she gave me one of these looks :shock: and said that she'd just figured I could... :lol:
  16. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hey...when did you get a girlfriend? Man...take a month off of DF and you miss everything! :eyebrow: :doh:
  17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hate to break it to you SG, but we actually started seeing each other six months ago... :wink:
  18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Hmm, I NEVER seem to be able to look at my partner when I dance bachata -- too close for eye contact. I usually end up dancing the entire song with eyes closed.
  19. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Guess I'm always the last to know...then again I've kind of been in a fog for the past few months. What year is it again? :lol:

Well its very belated, but congrats! :cheers:

Darn...there goes my ending to the DF Fairyland game then...ack...I don't have the time to finish it anyway! :nope:
  20. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Yes, but that way you can't see the chocolate dip! :lol: