How common is bachata?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by rails, Feb 16, 2004.

1. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

:( :( :(

Chocolate dips are for tasting, not for visual gratification :nope:
  2. Dancer150

Dancer150 New Member

can you send me a copy of the Bachata Syllabus and any steps description. I went to Bogota recently and a chica showed me the Bachata dance, so I want to check out your steps.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

WElcome dancer150. If a chica showed you to dance then I wouldn't bother with a dance syllabus.
  4. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

:shock: Is there such a thing as a "bachata syllabus"? I thought bachata was a street dance, even more so than salsa. If there are ballroom studios that are offering bachata syllabuses (like ballroom merengue syllabuses :eyebrow:), I don't think I would want to know anyway... :roll:

Welcome to DF, Stephen. :D
  5. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

If you are doing the basic bachata moves (which is all I really know), there is no need to keep your eyes open, in fact, I think bachata danced with eyes closed (as long as you dont run into other people) is a great way to do it, let the other senses fill in....oh, I want to dance bachata now!! :)
  6. Papichulo

Papichulo New Member

Hmm

I love bachata, love to dance it, i'm dominican of course its in my blood! if anyone interested in artist names let me know i can tell you the most popular bachata artists and songs out now :)
    anything else ya'll wanna know about bachata feel free to ask.
  7. Sagitta

Re: Hmm

Cool. So what are they? And welcome to df. :)
  8. Dancer150

Dancer150 New Member

Bachata lessons

I am interested if anyone has bachata dance steps because even though it started as a street dance like many other ballroom dances, having some of the basic steps allows you teach others and that is how the dance will grow in popularity in America. I went to Bogota and the DJ's girlfriend danced bachata with me so it was fun and but I also added latin hip motion and cucharachas into that I learned from international ballroom rumba to give it style. Maybe she learned something new also. Then recently at a Fred Astaire studio, they showed everyone a basic bachata dance step and it was different than the Bogota style, so that is my point, with an organized basic dance syllabus, at least everyone can learn the correct basic bachata Latin style. From there you can add improvisational steps to personalize it. For example, would you agree that the basic steps could be described as: man- leading with hips in closed position, side steps to left, L1, R2, L3 ending with left hip raised on "+" ("and), then side steps right in same motion. Just when you thought this was a street dance, Joe Baker is offering a dvd course on bachata. Here is a web link to see the video sample - http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/learning-center/bachata.htmTell me if you agree with the basic step movement because his video is the way I was taught in Bogota. Can someone here write out a description of the basic bachata steps because I am curious if they compare to what I learned in Bogota, Colombia or maybe they are different between eacjh person? I agree even with learning basic steps, Bachata must convey the emotions.
  9. Dancer150

Dancer150 New Member

10. Sagitta

I guess that is fine. I have been taught that there isn't as much movement, side-to side as is shown. One can move in many different ways.
  11. Gentemer

Gentemer New Member

I just took a look at the clip, but ... eh... don't know how to put this politely.
    Yes, technically, it is a bachata. More specific, it is a technical bachata. The sensuality is completely taken out of it.

My definition of Bachata is a bit closer to what is shown on the clips on Freya's website: http://www.pasionlatina.co.il/videos/Advanced - BACHATA - corso.mpg
    You should at least have a look at those as well :)
  12. Pebbles

Pebbles New Member

Hmm my first reaction would be to run away from any place that tries to teach bachata from a syllabus. It sounds like you want to fit the dance into the ballroom mode, but why? If you dance bachata with ballroom hip motions and the works, it becomes a new ballroom dance, and I’m afraid you’ll lose the essence of bachata. It's not about syllabus figures or ballroom hip motions. You might find it helpful to take a lesson with a teacher who grew up with the dance, I think you’ll find even the “basic step” as you defined is different.
  13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I know an absolutely wonderful dancer, her one problem is that she can't break out of the technical world, she has come a long way in 3 months of which now finally understands that Salsa is from the heart and soul, but when we dance bachata, she forgets it and goes back to technical. Boy one of the best dancers I've seen goes right into one of the worst in a simple one, two, three, hip of bachata. There is just no sensuality, no emotion, no listening to the music, there is just 1,2,3,4 toe out, weight shifting and starting a move only on the 1, God, if I find her instructor imma choke him!

I can't stand it when the technical side of a dance is taught leaving unexplained philosophical ideals buried within every rule that kills the dancer before ever taking a step. :cry:
  14. Kindra

Kindra New Member

Coming from the technical ballroom world....You just put into words the feelings I've always had about the restrictions I've put on my own dancing...which is why that world doesn't suite my needs anymore.

Dancing is the best way I know how to express myself and celebrate life...I'm learning how to take those rules (which help me adapt to many different forms of dance) and twist and bend them in all different ways.

The more I get out and "social" dance...the more I discover about myself as a dancer. Which leads me to say this...please have patience with us "recovering ballroomers". :D :lol:
  15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

its the dancer not the dance.. ballroom is fine.. technicality is fine.. its how u use it that makes or breaks the picture to a viewer.. so taste/perception goes into the equation as well.. and USING the technique ..it depends on how much of a natural artist u are.. talent / technique mix needs adjustment to arrive at equilibrium.. the less talent u start with the more work needs to be done and the longer the time.. and vice versa..
    +
    alot of people dance .. but few are dancers .. always was so.. and always will be.. but that dont mean u cant try.. cause all u can do is gain..relatively ofcourse.. so why not.
  16. tj

tj New Member

:notworth: :notworth: :applause: :applause:
  17. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

sensuality of bachata

I think the basic step of bachata leans itself to a sensual feeling. However, Alot of poeple I talk to are amazed that there are actually more steps in bachata than the basic...Its hard to find an intstructor, at least here, who will show(maybe even know) more than the basic step and maybe the woman's inside turn, and then back out with the inside turn the other direction, and maybe the same for the man....Most salsa dance classes focus on salsa, merengue, cha cha, and for some reason a little rumba, which is NEVER played at any salsa clubs I go to....maybe at a ballroom..but not salsa club...perhaps they should take out the little rumba they do and put in Bachata, if they are trying to emulate the dance scene and not the comptetition scene.... It is easy (me included!!) to really enjoy that sensual connection that the basic provides on a good dance, and there is nothing wrong with that! Yet, I am constantly asking the few (one) instructor who knows more moves than the basic and asking him to show me one at a time...its amazing how many women after I dance bachata with them tell me that it was the first time they did anything more than the basics for the entire dance....and my step list is still small.... :wink:
  18. tj

tj New Member

Re: sensuality of bachata

All right, here's one thing you can do... you know all of your salsa repertoire can be changed into bachata steps simply by replacing the "tap step on 4 and 8" with the bachata hip thingy, right?
  19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

LOL... indeed, I am more "disillusioned" with the instructors than I am of the students, which then become instructors, which probably means I'm "annoyed" at everyone... hehe... Just kidding!!

I think we all take different approaches to life, one isn't any better than the other, the key is to realize what is happening, and changing it before we truly believe we are driving when we are merely stirring in the direction we are told. Kind of like Karma, if we aren't aware that we can change the underlying principles of the what, when, where, why, and how of our thought process, then we must go through despair and learn the hard way. However, if we catch the problem at its source then we can kick karma to the side...

The issue arises in finding out what unconscious/subconscious/conscious ethos control every thought we have, likely stating that we will all, until otherwise learned, deem a driver’s license proof of ability to drive/think, just as a young man deems himself educated from a college degree. We fail to realize that all we consciously are is that which we are taught to be, hence, a passenger of society taught to think of that driver’s license as the key to individuality and realms of all that is, never searching past that where there are no roads for what has been taught doesn’t enable a search where there aren’t any roads, as a driver’s license states: there are rules to follow, otherwise, you will no longer be a driver… all of it pointing to a follower with the deemed ability to freely think because he is a good follower. The great individual, he who follows! ironic...

Go figure… to me that is the issue with dancing, we are taught to be individuals as long as we follow, following never creates a leader! To be an individual we must break out of what we are taught and create our own road, even in face of ridicule, for to be the self, we can’t follow what our master’s search is. If we follow our teacher all we’ll ever be is, at best, a copy of our teacher… When I speak of follow it is philosophical ideas creating thought that I speak of not bodies in motion, for to make a left we must all stir left...

Good for you, go out there and shake it like only you can!
  20. Kindra

Kindra New Member

Overwhelmingly true....Yet one who IS consciuos, has the ability to see that which they are taught..and when couragious enough, capable of changing that reality.

For some...that is their best. Some are only meant to follow.

I intend to do just that! :wink:

p.s. You do have a great way with words...I've enjoyed reading your posts.