How do Girls Dance Latin with their Hair Down?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, Apr 11, 2013.

1. caw

caw Active Member

Whenever my partner's hair is down, she whips me in the face, but I see comps where girls dance with their hair down all the time. I think it's much prettier than a bun.
  2. I'm not a fan of hair down either. It does look pretty standing still but it can be so distracting and messy by the time you finish dancing.

I think a carefully styled bun can be very pretty and much neater throughout a competition
    IndyLady likes this.
  3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Unless her hair is very long, she is probably just dancing closer to you than those girls you see at the comps are to their partners.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me it all depends...if I am dancing latin or rhythm as a first or last style, I tend (out of care for my hair) to leave the back down...unless it is a major comp and/or one in which I am dancing a zillion heats and it would get too wet....I also have some outfits that look better with an elegant hair-do and others that lend themselves to a more youthful and bold sort of vibe...
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

GMTA!! yulia never hits riccardo coz they dance in separate states on the floor LOL
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I dance latin with my hair down.. but my hairstyle is a short chin length bob.
    ajiboyet and Mr 4 styles like this.
  7. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

As I think was talked about on that thread, there's a difference between all the way down and half up (down in back, but pulled away from the face). I was just watching this video of Embassy and specifically noticed how great Yulia's hair looks (as always): .
    Being contained in front makes it neat, and it's not so long that it's hitting Riccardo. I would bet that in general, ponytails and braids are more dangerous as far as hitting the partner than hair down in back -- that's when I see people fastening them down to their costumes.
    theAnnelis and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I like the hair jewelry in it too. It shows that this was a well thought out, put together look, not just, oh I ran out of time, I'll just pull my hair back in a half pony.
  10. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

Hey, at least she is not wearing a braid... *shudders*
  11. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Personally, I've always liked having my hair down when I dance socially or I'm performing - I feel it gives me more attitude and flair (plus, in everyday life, being such a girl, I've always believed my hair is my crowning glory). But if I'm in a lesson, I'll pull it back. Though I do agree it should be pulled away from the face, otherwise your hair kind of latches on to your eyebrows and you end up with obstructed views and it looks like you have one eyebrow. Not the best look.
  12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It can look very wild, socially, and certainly inexcusably sloppy when competing.

When my hair was very long, I would wear it down socially only when persuaded by an SO at the time who liked that look. On my part, I always felt that after one set of dances I looked like a wildebeest had landed on my head. :)
    llamasarefuzzy and theAnnelis like this.
  13. fascination

I don't care how I look...and I would rather wear it down...however, after half an hour, there is drippage, and I think it is courtesy to put it up in order to limit the amount of it that is shared
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. regis

regis Active Member

I absolutely LOVE it when I lead a lady in a turn and she whips around so fast that her hair swings around her face to have these eyes looking out at me. And when it is a little sweaty it looks totally hot stringing across her face!
  15. fascination

maybe...but I am guessing that if that sweat also spattered all over your face, you might find it less so...and even if you didn't...I will wager that most men would not enjoy that
    ajiboyet and Bailamosdance like this.
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

My sarcasm meter is blowing up!
  17. fascination

heh .... maybe
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

unless it tastes like strawberries............:eek::D

yep mine pegged like a Geiger counter at Cherynobl
    theAnnelis likes this.