How do judges call back correct # of couples from more than one heat

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 5678dance, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That works in later rounds when there is time to actually look and write extra numbers and think prioritize them in ones head. Or when the couples are already sifted though enough that you basically know that couple 123 is a bubble couple who may or may not make it the next round/final... and you want to remember them just in case.

When there are 60 couples this does not work. In the earlier rounds a judge is simply lucky to have enough time to simple get the correct number of recalls at all.
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

what is a 'bubble couple"?
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's a couple who will receive that mark if you don't notice someone else more deserving by the end of the music.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

on the bubble.... 6th place in a final or 7th of the semi.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. bluslu

bluslu Member

At Wisconsin this last year, the judges didn't get the right number of call backs because of a mix up between people making heats and what the announcer was told so they missed a chunk of dancers. Instead of rerunning all 3 heats, they had ALL of the bronze Standard Foxtrot dancers on the floor doing their thing and the judges were just instructed to call back 24. Longest standard foxtrot ever- I think it ended up going for about 4-5 minutes. No one died but I bet a few were scarred.
    nikkitta likes this.