how do latinos move their hips like that?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by hedczech, Jun 21, 2008.

1. hedczech

hedczech New Member

I have been traveling in latin america for a while and the locals are really good with their hips. I see it a lot with reggeton and the faster carribbean rhythms (who's names i don't really know... punta, soca, samba??). I´m a decent dancer myself, but i can't move my hips they way they do. When i do, it seems like way much more effort than it should be. Does anyone know of any good excercizes or videos online that might be helpful? I once took an isolations workshop in the states but they don´t seem to have much of that down here.
  2. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

What you want is called "Cuban motion." Chris Morris has a good video explaining the technique, but your best bet are private lessons.
  3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Practice practice practice

And bend your knees.
  4. QPO

QPO New Member

They start very young, have you ever seen videos of young latino children dancing in the street? Natural Ability and as above practice practice practice...I Love practice :)
  5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Be careful. It is largely not a hip movement, but a feet/weight placement that causes these actions. Also, know that the movements are different for differing dances. You named several. Some use what Suburb called Cuban Motion (though this is relatively a BR term), others use gua pa cha motion or na ni go motion. I agree with Suburb...the best thing to do is find a good teacher for a few, or more :), privates, and then like ETP said...practice...practice, and practice.