How do you convey emotion in dancing? Facial expressions etc

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by classy1, Nov 3, 2004.

1. classy1

classy1 New Member

This may sound like a strange question, but when I was younger and taking Horton and Ailey technique Modern Dance and even Jazz, my teacher always said that your face should be used to express the dance as well as your body. How do you convey emotion when doing a partner dance like salsa or tango? Is that a skill you have or you don't or can you develop that?
  2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I have three facial expressions when dancing salsa:

1. Beaming from ear to ear because I'm happy to be dancing -- like this :arrow: :D
    2. Laughing with "oops :oops:" written across my face because I've fluffed a move -- like this :arrow: :lol: or this :arrow: :tongue:
    3. Eyes closed when in close embrace.

I don't think I'm very good at expressing the dance using my face...
  3. dTas

dTas New Member

use what you do in real life...

when you see two people kissing passionately, what are they doing with their bodies?

what do people do with their hands when they're in a romantic embrace.

when two individuals see each other, what is in their eyes that is unmistakenly love.

don't leave that at the table... bring that onto the dance floor.

TV commercials and billboard posters have capitalized on this for years. when you see an advertising image it is unmistakenly sexy! or romantic.

too often people get caught up in the steps and patterns of dancing and don't allow their emotions to flow out onto the dance floor.
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

But don't mistake it for the same!! :wink: :)
  5. clave

clave New Member

I make faces. :raisebro:

Then one day I saw a videotape of me dancing and I went :shock:, it looked totally unlike my internal image of myself. Video is ruthless. What you feel is not how others see you.
    Now I'm working on my camera face :artsy:, hand styling :banana: and so forth. 's fun!
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I learnt veils and combs and how to flirt in salsa and now I do it all the time. :lol:
  7. tacad

tacad New Member

I stare at them mercilessly. But I don't recommend this. However it's better than looking at my feet! :roll:
  8. Big10

Big10 Member

Me, too....sometimes I feel like I'm doing too many veils and combs, and that I need to cut back on them. :oops:

Speaking to the topic of the thread more generally, I pick up most of the emotional cues from my partner's smiles and/or laughs and/or occasional eye contact (or a full stare if you want to convey something different). I've even had a couple of partners let out a little yell or "wooo" during some rotational moves. :D Along those lines, actually saying a few brief words of approval to your partner is cool in Salsa -- although I'm not sure if that fits in with the protocol of tango.
  9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I smile a lot or make faces if I enjoy it! If I don't, I have a frozen smile on my face and people can tell I wanna get out of there! :)
    But generally I am trying to have as much fun as possible and show it!
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Me, too Squirrel. People can read me like a book!(Lovin' it, I'm beaming, dreadin' it, I'm grimacing!) When dancing salsa, even though the lead may be a dead beginner, I'm just happy to be on the dance floor so I'm smiling! A goof here & there, everyone chuckles! Even in practice, I'm lovin' it so much that I smile BIG TIME! :D
  11. sunderi

sunderi New Member

That's the truth! I'm still trying to get up the nerve to watch my video from my comp this past weekend. Even though we placed well, I know I'll be disappointed by what I see. Why can't I adjust my mental picture of myself to be closer to real life? :lol:
  12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Just remember that"WE" are our own worst critic, but I agree w/you about seeing a video of a recent comp. I hate watching myself in videos . . . I always say, "God, am I that bad?"
  13. sunderi

sunderi New Member

I don't know, my instructor is a pretty strong critic, too. ;)

At least this time, I get to follow, "Am I THAT bad?" with "Well, at least dancing that bad got me placed pretty well!" ;)
  14. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Re: How do you convey emotion in dancing? Facial expressions

Classy1, wow. That would be really hard to explain for me being as though everyone can see every feeling on my face so I'm not sure about a technique that helps project it on the dance floor. Have you taken a look at the DF Photo Album? SD is awesome at catching the right moment on camera when the expressions on the dancers face just shine through. And Boriken in the Salsa section, oh my goodness......Take a look when you have time. Nice photos there. Not really answering your question but you can see what I'm speaking of. :D
  15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll remember this one . . . thanks . . .
  16. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Re: How do you convey emotion in dancing? Facial expressions

Been thinking about this a little bit. In Salsa, all my expressions come from how the music makes feel and the energy from my partner. For example if a flirtatious vibe is happening then there's all the flirtacious facial expression that comes with it. In Ballroom, The Paso Doble is bursting with it because of the characteristics or character of the dance. Sharp, crisp footwork and turns, with partners passing each other exuding passion and the movements resembling a bullfighter and his cape. Again, I couldn't tell you anything about the technique of this but I hope this helps. Any others? Help!.. :lol: :)
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thoughts, anyone?

There have been some pretty hilarious older threads on ballroom facial expressions. Competitive ballroom is a different world. 8)
  18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

dont know what expressions i have or even if i can attemp to classify them.. i dont think on it and never tried to control it.. i guess they would just follow how i feel.. so, so long as i dont find my partner(s) looking back at my face with something akin to horror, disgust or indifference.. i'll just let it be :D
  19. huey

huey New Member

Facial expression when dancing - how to improve it?

I want to work on my facial expression when dancing with a partner. Does anyone have any tips?
  20. chandra

chandra New Member

Haha, Im in the same boat as you!

Pictures tell all, I make some odd faces _^. Also, according to my teach, I show it on my face when I make a mistake...

:(

;)