How do you convey emotion in dancing? Facial expressions etc

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by classy1, Nov 3, 2004.

1. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Entrepreneur idea : So who is going to start acting classes for dancers ? ;)

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I make all sorts of faces. That's me and that's all there is to be said about it. ;-) :) I have no idea how to improve on this as I think that one should just go with the flow, and let what comes out...come out.

3. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I was out of town over the holidays and seemed to catch a lot of Ballroom Bootcamp. They send the dancers to all kinds of coaches: belly dancing, pole dancing and fencing. So I suppose an acting coach makes sense.

4. lolita

lolita New Member

well swing, there's this korean salsera here that is a very very very good follower, and every lead i know says she is pretty good, but after all; they would only ask her to dance once and then no more during the night.

just because her face is frozen..she never gives expressions.. i dunno if shes scared of smiling ..maybe she thinks if she smiled , she would never be able to get back to the non-smiling face or what.!!.
    so yes..its all about enjoying,, if she is enjoying am sure that she would've smiled, laughed,cried, anything..
    and now that she doesnt..why does she dance ?

5. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I find it hard not to use my facial expressions when I dance -- I enjoy music and interacting with my partner. I have to say I've danced with a couple of men who keep up a very deadpan expression (but with good eye contact) when they dance and it's quite spooky. It feels like dancing with a stage hypnotist!

If I had to say anything, I'd say relax. We all use our facial expressions more than we realise in everyday communication, it's something that evolution and life experience makes human beings very good at. Everyone already has all the cards, they just need to let themselves bring them to the table.

6. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Right on, Ms Sunlight. And if I had to continue your analogy, I'd say that everyone has been dealt a different hand.

And since we're dancing, not playing poker, I'd say there's no need to keep a poker face! :cool:

Rosa :)

7. huey

huey New Member

In my case (it's social dancing, not performance or competition), it's not a poker face, more a mad joker face that I'm trying to get rid of. This sort of thing - :eek: :eek: :shock:

8. Rosa

Rosa New Member

:lol:

Rosa

9. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I've always commented that the local swing teacher have a left-handed snap class. He teaches moves with snaps every once in awhile to accentuate a move, yet despite how hard I try, I can't seem to make a loud snap with the fingers of my left hand! My right hand works just fine. What the heck!? :confused:

10. juliasanto

juliasanto New Member

Does your face dance too while you are dancing?

Have you noticed how funny (or worse!!!:rolleyes:) our faces often look while we are dancing? :eek:
    Do you ever connect your dance moves with your expressions? How? :mad:
    I was curious to discover that, in classical Indian dances, they do!
    Have a look:

11. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

just a white square

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome to Df...we have thread just like this started probably only last week so I may merge the two..thanks

13. fascination

picture might not have gone through due to new-ness of the member

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Threads merged :)

15. fascination

bless your useful heart...I forgot

16. QPO

QPO New Member

If you dance from the Heart .........:)..now if tht could only apply in a compeition :)

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I generally convey my emotion by making faces of disgust at what I jsut did. :)

18. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

:cheers:
    This is me in latin....working on changing that, but right now, that's the only emotion you're going to read from me...until I figure out how to fix it. :cool:

19. Dawn DeMendonca

Dawn DeMendonca New Member

practise in the mirror ! bring the emotion from your mind into your eyes whether its the aggressive or sexy look etc and the rest of your features on your face will express naturally.

Then when you perform exaggerate them CONFIDENTLY !

20. polishbloo

polishbloo New Member

Dancing with emotion...

Two months ago, I became partners with someone who is much better than me. (I had just started out in silver and he was already in the champ level). Before, I never thought about the "emotion" of the dance, just the technique and footwork. Now, everyone is telling me "relax, dance with emotion..." Whenever I try to, I just end up looking tense angry, which doesn't really work in cha cha or samba, or I go into autopilot, which is an unattractive biting of the lip. How do I fix this and make the emotions believable? Any tips/tricks that you've learned?