How do you count Paso Doble?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity (I do American, so no Paso for me). How do you count it? All songs sound the like the same song, sound like they have prearranged hits etc. I am trying to count it but it's very unusual. Not any quicks or slows...

T_E

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

In 8's.

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I have seen American Paso Doble. I'm not kidding. I have the syllabus videos. It's pretty scary :shock:

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, even in International, I find bronze and silver to be completely lacking excitement. I'm hoping gold is a little more interesting.

5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi TE, I assume you are talking about the phrasing of the most popular song for Paso Doble, Espana Cani. It is an interesting combination of counts and highlights. I took a quick look around and found the counts from another website (and it looks right according to the counts used in my paso routine to the second highlight), it is counted as follows:

8 8 8 8 4
    8 8 8 8 8 8 4 (1st highlight)
    8 10 8 6 8 8 8 8 6 (2nd highlight)
    8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 5 8 (3rd highlight)

If anybody else can verify that's great....hope that helps!

6. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

I just pulled up my 8 versions of Espana Cani, and that is an exactly correct count. In general, the syllabus steps are done in 8, and the 6/10 patterns can be done by stretching certain steps.

I've heard that cymbal crashes (the highlights, as you put them) are only played at Gold level and above. They will occasionally sneak them in for Silver, but does anyone know if this is a official standard?

7. latingal

:shock: waaay out does my paltry two versions.....

Thank you for checking Keelzorz! Much appreciated!

8. contracheck

contracheck New Member

It looks a meaure of 8 beats is missing between 1st Hi light and 2nd Hi light

9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

What do you mean? This is a coorect count! There should be 70 beats between the first Hi Light and the end of the 2nd Hi Light; there are correct number of beats in the original post. Ther second Hi Light ends at 158th beat from the beginning. You embarassed yourself.

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:lol: (nice one contracheck)

11. latingal

Thanks contracheck...was starting to think I needed to get my eyes examined (kept counting all those darn little eights in those rows - totally got crossed eyed)! *grin*

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

So it's counted in 8's. I really wouldn't have guessed. :D
    Um. Syllabus Paso sounds scary. The fact that I want to start International and should/have to do Paso is even scarier. :shock:

T_E

13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Primarilly in 8s, but not always; it's usually done in the count of latingal's list; sometimes in 4s, sometimes in 10s (I think you do this only once), sometimes in 6s or 12. You hit the first Hi Lite exactly at 87th beat from the beginning, followed by holding one beat (the 88th); You hit the second Hi Lite exactly at 157th beat, then hold one beat (the 158th). Hi Lites are not only legal in all competition levels, they are required. Paso is murderous because if you miss one step, you do the Hi Lite at wrong time (before or after the symbal), embarassing yourself once again. In regular competitions, they don't play music long enough to get to the 2nd Hi Lite, which, at 120 beats/min, you usually reach at 1 minute 20 seconds from the start. You practice hard and once the muscle memory sets in these steps come out instinctively. I wish there are schools (like Falmenco schools) where they teach only Paso because I want to be a good Paso dancer, but this is a hopeless proposition because women around the world are not crazy about Paso because it portrays women as a cape.

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Pasos area also written in 3/4 time or 6/8 time. These are not played for syllabus but often reserved for high level pros doing showdance numbers.

15. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Like the Paso in Strictly Ballroom... I always wondered about that.... and how many beginner dancers buy that soundtrack to practice and wonder why their steps don't fit....

16. saludas

saludas New Member

1. No, 'hi lites' are not required. Our champions Eugene and Maria make it a point to dance thru the highlights.... and they seem to win every comp.

2. No, the second hilite is ALWAYS hit in competition. However, many times the Paso is cut off at that point (in syllabus) but is ALWAYS played till the very end in all championship rounds.

17. contracheck

contracheck New Member

In rare occasions, Eugene and Maria, and many others, forget to do Hi Lites (after all, they are human being just like you and I) but in great majority of cases they do Hi Lites when one is due. Otherwise, why do we call it a Hi Lite step? Did you see a group of pros doing Paso with dramatic Hi Lites in the past Dancing with the Stars? To me a Hi Lite in Paso is the victorious climax, a moment everybody is waiting for, and a Paso without a Hi Lite is like a wedding without a ring presentation. It's true that in championship rounds they play the full length of music(1.5 min?), but in early rounds when they need to process many heats they play music only for 60 - 75 seconds.

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sorry contracheck but, as saludas has pointed out, Eugene and Maria's choreography deliberately dances through the hilight; and I assure you, it is *not* because they "forget." That being said, this catches attention precisely because it is in contrast to everyone eles who is hitting them.

the point I think you really should make is that couples should not miss their highlights, as I agree that hitting late (or early) demonstrates a poor relationship between your dancing and the music. Making deliberate use of the music (as Eugene and Maria do) does not require a "hit."

19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The outrageous "forget" part in my post was meant to be a satire. I have several tapes in which Eugene/Maria perfom. In majority of cases, they do rather spectacular hilights. Those rare cases where they did not include highlites may be considered as exceptions than rules. As far as I understand, we are discussing basic Paso rahter than advanced and sophiscated Paso. In such a case, we should focuss on general rules than on exceptions. I hope that you agree with me.

20. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

Paso is a transltion of a musical bullfight. The music and so the bullfight only ends at the end of the song and thus with the 3rd hi lite. There is a tendency in the danceworld nowadays to return to the fundamentals of dancing. This means for Paso the bull is not dead on the 1st or 2d hi lite. It's killed at the 3rd and final hi lite. Many dancers work that into their coreography and only dance a stopping hi lite in the end. The other two hi lites are indeed hi lites in the dance but are not as "concluding" as the last. These arethe ends of diferent phases in the bullfight story. This is translated by not dancing a line or so on the 1st and 2nd hi lite, only on the 3rd.