How do you count Paso Doble?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Apr 13, 2006.

1. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Of course, the bull is not dead on the 1st or 2nd Hi Lite. If it is, we don't need the 3rd Hi Lite, the Grand Finale. No Grand Finale, however, occurs suddenly in one lump sum; if it does, there is no thrill, no suspense and no expectation. A bull fight is not a slaughterhouse operation. There are minor Hi Lites like the 1st and the 2nd that lead into the 3rd Hi Lite.
    The 1st and 2nd Hi Lites may signify Picadores and Banderillos successfuly launching their picks or lances into the Bull to weaken or infuriate the beast. After these minor Hi Lites the matador finally pierce the bull with his sword in the 3rd Hi Lite. There can be more than three Hi Lites in Paso. Dance is a creative art. We can have many variations and exceptions in all dances. As far as I understand, discussion of these special variations and exceptions is well beyond the scope of this thread.
  2. Nik

Nik Member

the paso is a marching dance so the count would be 1 2 1 2
  3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

From an accomplished Paso dancer, I learned yesterday that some dancers play a trick to continue to dance in Paso without Hi Lite freeze to draw judges' attention. Judges wonder what is going on while all others stopped moving at a Hi Lite. This is a risky trick, however, and no one gamble with it in top competitions, the renowned paso dancer said. We learn little by little everyday.
  4. Nik

Nik Member

you can only dance this on the 2nd highlight because if you listen to it the music actually continues right away unlike the other highlights where it actually stops.
  5. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Great, we learn a little bit everyday in an orderly manner.
  6. chachachikka

chachachikka New Member

counting Paso Doble

Is it just me, or is there a 12 beat "bar" or "set" in the middle-ish of all Paso Dobles, roughly a little before the first "crash" that isn't really a crash but an explosion in the music, but the beats keep going through it? And then after it, it feels a little funny, cuz I can count 16's straight through it, but then it gets a little messed up again, is that where that weird 12 count comes back in again? I tried counting through a few songs, and that's where I get a little confused, and then after that first "crash" I get very confused.

See, I was trying to choreograph a Paso Doble, and I was told that it's in all 16 beat counts continuing throughout the song, but at one spot, there's only 12 beats, and then you hear a strong "1" again and then it's 16 again for a bit til the first "crash". I checked this count against a few songs, and that 12-beat part is common throughout. Is this normal? If we account for this, will this mess us up in competition? Also, how far do they typically play the songs in comps? It appears the 2nd crash, as in the real first "real crash", is around 1min20secs. Do they normally end it right there? I think I've seen them end it at the first "crash" when they are cutting it very short, when it's just a final, and it's clear the judges were done placing within the first few seconds.
  7. DanceSomatics

DanceSomatics New Member

Paso Doble Gypsy, or Espana Cana

8 8 8 8 4(mini crash) 8 8 8 8 8 8 4 (crash)
    8 10 8 6 Flamenco Section 8 8 8 8 4 or 5 (crash)

Third part 8th thru out.
  8. etale

etale Member

Paso Routine

I am trying to prepare a complete PD routine observing the limitation in the syllabus figures and I would very much appreciate your help.

Syllabus figures allowed:

BASIC MOVEMENT
    SUR PLACE
    CHASSES
    HUIT
    SIXTEEN
    SEPARATION
    ATTACK
    TWIST TURN
    BANDERILLAS
    GRAND CIRCLE
    PROMENADE
    PROMENADE CLOSE
    PROMENADE TO COUNTER PROMENADE

Here is my routine:

Introduction: 8 beats

Sur Place – 4
    Chasses to the left – 4
    Huit – 8
    PP to CPP – 8
    Promenade Close – 4
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Promenade – 8
    Banderillas – 16
    Twist Turn - 8
    Sixteen – 16
    Attack – 4
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Separation – 8
    Sur place turning to the left– 4
    Chasses to the left – 6
    Huit – 8
    PP to CPP – 8
    Promenade Close – 4
    Chasses to the right – 4
    Promenade – 8
    Banderillas – 16
    Promenade link – 4
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Sur place turning to the right – 4
    Chasses to the left– 4
    Huit – 8
    PP to CPP – 8
    Promedande close – 4
    Chasses to the right – 4
    Promenade – 8
    Banderillas – 16
    Twist Turn – 8
    Sixteen – 16
    Attack – 4+1

What is your verdict?
  9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Personally, I count paso as a waste of time... ;)
  10. etale, are you looking for input on whether the counts are right or if the routine looks good?
  11. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

So many couples dance through 1st highlight. Is this what you mean? I believe I've seen many couples actually don't stop for the 1st highlight like 2nd highlight.
  12. Benjy

Benjy Member

I see this reaction a lot. I don't know if you're joking, but a lot of people I know genuinly think this way. In my mind, Paso is a litmus test. You can be good at Paso while sucking at every other dance, but not be bad at paso and be more than superficially good at the other dances. Let me explain.

Paso contains everything that you need to be good at the other dances. Partnering, posture, shape, speed, and grounding. The other dances have lots of things specific to each of them, knee and hip action. So you can't really be good at any of them without having all the components of a good paso. People are bad at Paso because it receives so little emphasis.
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Oh, I'm just joking. With limited amount of lesson time I get in, only so many dances I can do, and Paso just hasn't yet made the cut is all (mainly because I haven't changed my main 7 dances since I started).
  14. contracheck

contracheck New Member

My verdict is that this count is guilty of incorrectness. See laingal's post (#5) in this thread.
  15. etale

etale Member

Both things.

I read all the posts before posting myself.
    The problem resides in the very few syllabus figures that can be used. How would you coreograph the 8 10 8 6 8 8 8 8 6 (2nd highlight) for example?
    This is why I asked for your advice.
  16. contracheck

contracheck New Member

It's hard for me to describe these steps in writing, but I'll try to describe my competition syllabus routine. This routine contains steps in Bronze to Gold.

Traveling Spin 8
    Grand Circle 10
    Huit 8
    First 4 steps of 16 followed by 2 steps of Spanish Line 6
    Flamenco Tap followed by a Spainsh Line 8
    Make 1/2 turn followed by a Spanish Line 8
    Flamenco Tap 8
    Promeande Link (4 steps) plus 4 steps of beat-filling Chasse 8
    Drag Chasse into the 2nd Hi Lite

This routine works because my male coach and I have perfected it, and I practice it all day everyday. If anyone finds errors in it I'll hang myself on the highest beam in the studio.
  17. emkey

emkey New Member

im confused cause I'm not exactly sure which part of the espana canni you consider the hilite...

I counted through espana canni from casaphon's cafe paradiso (what they used in the 2005 grandslam) up to what is usually heard in competition and their are three hilites unless you don't count the first hilite I counted as a hilite. if there are three hilites in this normal play then there are atleast 4 or 5 total hilites in espana canni which they Rarely but on certain occasions Ive seen on youtube play and dance through in competition (but Ive only seen pro competitions do that).

If we're talking about the part where Eugene and Maria do a set of spot turns disconnected accross the floor I counted that to be their third hilite (which is somewhere at 1:22 with the crescendo having trumpets blown) though true it isn't exactly a hilite still entertaining and they win each time anyways... lol
  18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

My count, which is, incidently, much like latingal's, is based on Spanish Gypsy Dance, which I like better than Espana cani. Your count may be correct for Espana cani, I don't know. If this is the case, I apologize. I need help from better angels like Nik or pasopaul to clarify this confusion. Can someone help us?

Btw, in my Spanish Gypsy Dance, the first Hi Lite is at about 42 sec from the beginning and the second one is at about 1 min 17 sec from the beginning.
  19. emkey

emkey New Member

uhm isnt espana cani and spanish gypsy the same? (check wiki). I know their the same composition and always though that spanish gypsy is just the english translation
    if its the same then we're talking about, then it should be the same count as its the same song
  20. I just did a quick count and it looks about right to me. I'm assuming you're dancing through the first two highlights on only holding on the third (last highlight)