How does a tryout work?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latin-ballroom, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

You state that you have more experience in this than her. Take charge. Make a plan and if she has no feedback, she'll follow along with it. I recommend working on really basic actions like box steps, reverse and natural turns, etc. You can learn and improve alot just by working on those figures.
  2. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

Thanks guys for all the encouragement and feedback! :)
  3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Yeah. Right.
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ok Here's a question.

I've been without a latin partner for a long time. And a friend of mine might be looking for a long term latin partner. The catch is that I've danced with him quite a bit, and I'm not the biggest fan of his dancing.

I'm going into this tryout with an open mind, and I feel we would communicate well (which would be a step up from the rest of my previous latin partners). However, I don't think our styles will mesh well. Depending on how the tryout period goes, would it be alright for me to ask him if it would be ok if we were just practice partners?
  5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Yeah, go for it. There isn't a strict definition of partnership. It's a continuum of varying levels of commitment, just like relationships.
    -just practicing
    -together
    -open partnership
    -friends with dance benefits
    -dancing exclusively
    etc.

Anything's fine as long as you communicate it.
    tequila and frotes like this.
  6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Alright, thank you. :)
  7. frotes

frotes Member

LOL :D
    cabbagefairy and ajiboyet like this.
  8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

It's quite nice having my FWDB. We can call each other at any time for some NSA dancing.
    frotes and twnkltoz like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

code for dancing umm err undercover(s)??