How many centers are there?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, May 4, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

You hear a lot about the center in dancing. There is the "common center" which is a center the couple shares. Then there is the "moving center" somewhere below the belly button. And there is the "shaping center" located somewhere around the solar plexus. And of course we have "diagonal center" to help describe a way to move down the line of dance but also going closer to the center of the room. Then we have the center of the foot. All kinds of centers!

What centers are you thinking about when you are dancing?
  2. flexi

flexi Member

mostly weight center, .. and weight center on standing foot
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think of the balance over my standing leg while maintaining the connection between my left hand and my spine....that centers me...it may not answer your question but it centers me...in other dance styles and position, I still think of the hand connection and the relationship of that to my spine and my balance over my standing leg
  4. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

I think of my body as having 2 centers. The center of gravity in my pelvis and center of levitation in my ribcage/sternum area both of which act in opposition to each other
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Currently in latin, I think of only three centers; center of gravity, center of levity, and the third center in the partnership.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  6. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

This. I would also add, center of attention... as a lead, it's my job.
  7. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

In standard, I am the center of the world, everything revolves me. My lady is the center of attention.:)
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL....you guys are great. :)
  9. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Poor boys, never getting their time in the sun. :( All I want is to be the one doing the standing spin in Smooth, is that too much to ask?!
    latingal likes this.
  10. bookish

bookish Active Member

See 6:00, briefly. Equality! ;)
    mindputtee and Titoxd like this.
  11. Sania

Sania Active Member

What about in Standard?:)
  12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Arunas has one in his and Katusha's Waltz, but it's just more fun to play with all the shapes you can get into in Smooth. ^_^

Hahahaha, yes!!! Funnily enough, my partner and I played around with a figure like this (I'm the center of rotation, she runs around, though without my leg in attitude and upper body pitched forward). Our coach appreciated the sentiment but quite literally said something to the effect of "That's not really my style, though -- definitely Mazen's, but not mine." FWIW, we do have a runaround where I'm the center, but we're just in airplane hold and I'm very upright.