How many hours of practice is needed?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by soulfire12, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I agree I meant total practice time not on ones own the increased complexity of movement esp in smooth a rhythm coupled with a greater emotive component must be rehearsed with ones partner its hard to emote to the mirror sometimes

2. Mr 4 styles

most champions ive worked with dance a bit more

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...I have always be content to practice alone..I have always felt that it was essential to my owning my own dancing, but I am in a space now where it is very frustrating not to have an available partner at this level

4. LordBallroom

LordBallroom Member

hehehe...maybe that's why the people I know aren't champions. They're still legit pros whose scores demonstrate that they know their stuff and 99% of students would consider it a dream to be able to dance like them.

5. Mr 4 styles

your awesomeness would triple:eek: if that's even possible...:p

im a 1%er... in many ways............:cool:

6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I think practice time really depends on your goals and how long you have to achieve them, etc. Also, you need to take a day off every so often if not once a week. Doing it everyday for several hours a day will burn you out very quickly. Competitions burn you out even more. If you have a competition coming up, yes practice everyday leading up to the competition starting maybe a week or two before. Then take the next day after the comp off to rest (and that doesn't include a day of traveling because travel wears you out as well). Sometimes more practice will just make you worse because you are so worn out. I usually do 2 hours everyday, with every few weeks a day off to recover. And if we have a lesson then an hour before and an hour or 2 after the lesson.

Practice varies by level and by set goals.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

In short: a whole lot.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Hahahhahaaaaaaaa

you win the ballroom thread understatement of the year award LOL

ViviDancer likes this.
  9. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Why thank you, thank you very much. I've been working towards this for the longest. I would like to thank my dance partner, my cat, and most of all these wonderful people of DF. *cue dramatic tearing* lol

10. Mr 4 styles

NIICCEE!!!!!!!!

bwwaahhahhaaaaa