How many square feet is your apartment or house?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

We were thinking of going down on the square footage of our apartment so we can be in a really nice area, yet not pay too much for rent. I was hoping to hear from some people about how they have done well with a smaller apartment.
  2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

As a single person I lived happily in a studio (abroad, right after college, so I had virtually no stuff) and in quite small 2 bed - 1 bath apartments with a roommate. I think the keys for small-space living are being disciplined about how much stuff comes in and making sure that some of the space is separated to allow whatever alone time you each need. I also think that the amount of storage space is at least as important as the amount of living space. As a rule, I would tend to choose the nicer area over the larger apartment. That said, we're now in quite a big house, and I think we'd find it much harder to go down in size than it was to live in small spaces on the way up.
  3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Two of us live in 820sf. It's not spacious, and we have to pay for a storage unit to house a bunch of our stuff.
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Allegedly 1162 SF, according to the state dept of taxation. But I think that only measures one level of the house. I have way too much stuff. Being a bit of a pack rat doesn't help.
    bordertangoman likes this.
  5. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Single person, living in around 600sf and that's plenty for me. I have a cat and a large fishtank as well
  6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

1300 sq feet... House! A tiny bungalow with a 12x18 foot lawn. As a single person, more than I need...
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

4200....and we barely leave one small room in the front...I think much of whether or not you can feel comfortable in a small space was to do with how often you are able to get out and about...and the presence of children....I've lived in a studio apt before kids and I never found it unpleasant
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Our son went from a two-bed/large kitchen apt near the beach (south bay Calif) to a tiny older style one bedroom apt to be with girlfriend. Literally, when you stood in the tiny apt kitchen, you were IN the kitchen. He hated it. Couldn't wait to get the money together to purchase a home and although it was a "nicer" area, living space, the ability to at least have a sideboard to dry the dishes was a much wished for thing. We have a 1,500 sq ft 4/bed ranch home and it's perfect for everything we do and need (I would rather have yard/outdoor space which we have lots of). Our area is ever-changing with an influx currently of young adults just starting out so the downtown is changing to accommodate the "urban" living - walk to everything - mode with newer 3 story condos/apts which sold out fast.
  9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

1100 sq ft bungalow.. me, cat and sprog at weekends
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

which house??:D:D:D:D
  11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

1400 sq. ft. townhouse, decent size except for TINY kitchen.
    We were in a 700 sq. ft. one bedroom apt. for a little while - horrible!
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My condo has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms; I think it's around 1400 sq. ft. I also have an enclosed sunroom not counted in the sq. footage. My condo is spacious enough, except the kitchen is not big enough for 2 people to be working in it at the same time. My comment is always "it's a one butt kitchen".
    chachachacat likes this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

2400 sq ft townhouse...too much space for one person. There are rooms I rarely use. My next home I will downsize...1400-sq ft is great. I think a lot of it depends on the layout of the home.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we had a family of 4 in 1560 for@ 11 years...was fine...would only need half that for 2
  15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

1600 sq ft here, and it's too much house for me. I'm gradually filling up all the extra space with junk, too. Must correct that. However, when I bought my house, I was also giving a thought to resale when the time comes.
  16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have 2800 sq ft, but I don't think it includes basement. When I was shopping for a new home, I realized that if I try to downsize too much, I will compromise the quality of the neighborhood.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

house number one 2875:D
    house number two 3650:cool:

house number three ...pending:eek: might just be a cute little condo in cali
  18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

3600 square feet in Missouri. 2 acre lot.
    700 square feet in Boston.

The house in Missouri has 2 adults, 2 teens, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. We could live in a lot less. But I am tired of cramped city living and hotel rooms. I want some space.
  19. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

What you've described is why I love America's Heartland! A quaint little family of 4, wonderful people, a very comfortable ranch-style home on a couple of acres. Heaven on earth if you ask me.
  20. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Our starter house was less than 1000-sq-feet...then we moved to a 2400-sq-foot rental house with a 900-sq-foot garage...and finally to house number three we just bought at 1800 sq-feet (plus garage). I love our new house with hard wood floors throughout. Not so good for dancing on since there isn't any spring to it, but great for pirouette practice. :)