How many zeros?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

How many zeros do you think/know to be in a billion :D

This is not a trick question :wink:

PS. If you should Google for alternative answers, please declare :evil: :lol: and be kind and hold off until a few people have answered/attempted to answer, please :D
  2. tj

tj New Member

Hmm, one way to look at it differently - what order of precision?

(i.e. How many digits to the right of the decimal point?)
  3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I knew there had to be a reason why I like you :wink: :lol:
  4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In the US, 9.

Traditionally in Europe, 12.

Though my understanding is that the US billion is becoming more common. One German I had asked said they didn't use "billion" much, explaining that their national budgets are much smaller than the US' and so they don't have much need to use that number.

Ironically, both definitions of "billion" come from the French: http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/large.html

-------------------
    EDIT:
    BTW, I already knew everything I said above except for the URL for the link, which is the only thing that I had to Google for.
  5. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Nine zeros... When written out as above... If one is counting from 1 --> 1.000.000.000, then there would be A LOT more...
  6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: DancingMommy. I said this was not a trick question :lol:
  7. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Lets see...

There are 11 0s from 1--> 100
    There are 20 0s from 101 --> 200

And there is no WAY I'm going to go the rest of the way in my head....
  8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

9. danceguy

danceguy New Member

That's way too easy of a question my dear. Back when I was in college they used to have his quiz board at one of our on-campus snack stores to win free items. The questions were usually about sports and other chotchkey that I never found interesting.

One day though, the following question came up:

"How many groups of zeros are there in quattuordecillion?"

I had to sit down to go through it in my head, no calculator nor pencil/pens/paper used. The answer, was 15 groups or 45 zeros, and I was the only person that got it right to win a free soda! :D

So, to sum up, if y'all ever need to know this stuff, here's the break down:

Million - 6 zeros
    Billion - 9 zeros
    Trillion - 12
    Quadrillion - 15
    Quintillion - 18
    Sextillion - 21
    Septillion - 24
    Octillion - 27
    Nonillion - 30
    Decillion - 33
    Undecillion - 36
    Duodecillion - 39
    Tredecillion - 42
    Quattuordecillion - 45
    Quindecillion - 48
    Sexdecillion - 51
    Septendecillon - 54
    Octodecillion - 57
    Novemdecilion - 60
    Vigintillion - 63

I had to check the spelling on a few of these, but all of them were from memory. Gosh I love being a geek. :wink: :lol: :p

SG
  10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: All of that brain power just for a soda :shock: :lol:
  11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:lol: ..what is the world coming to? :lol:
  12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

But in the British system, you step by six powers of 10 instead of by 3 as in the American system. So one vigintillion in the British system would be 10^120.

For n = number indicated by the name:

American system -- power-of-ten = 3*(n+1)

British (AKA "European") system -- power-of-ten = 6*n

So while a nonillion has 30 zeros in the US [3*(9+1) = 30], in the UK it would have 54 zeros [6*9 = 54].

Make mine a Dr. Pepper, please.
  13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: just looking at these zeros makes me very please I never had to think in Italian Lira :?

And seeing as everyone in busy drinking either soda or Dr. Pepper, just make mine a trillion :lol:
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

And you will fortunately never have to, since they've switched to the Euro!
  15. danceguy

danceguy New Member

And the funny irony is, I just kept the cup since I don't drink soda...used it to hold extra pens as I recall. It was a trophy of sorts. :D

DWise - While I don't know the British system I do understand that it is different, what gives with the Brits? Driving on the wrong side of the road is bad enough, but such a wacky number system as well? :lol: :wink:

SG
  16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

An open letter to SG:

I am going to pretend I did not see the above :tongue:

Yes, DWise one is on the right track of what I was getting at re the number of zeros. Just for the record (SG!) it seems that France also has/had the same number of zeros as the British/UK system so it isn't just 'British system'. :tongue: Maybe someone from France can confirm or deny?

Remember that the US is a baby compared to the length of time Britain/the UK has been in existence. A 'fresh', 'mature' baby, but still a baby :twisted:

Incidentally, I believe commercially the UK has been adopting the American number of zeros. :wink: