How much do Dance Teachers really get paid?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by precious12, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You probably also get less than 40 hours a week at that rate, so it all evens out.
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Q-- how many bubkas are there to the £ ?--/ $ ? ;)
  3. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

-.01b at today's exchange rate
  4. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

authur murray wanted me too teach at there studio, when found out how much they pay and there system i laughed(not in there face) and never worked there.(im already a pro teacher) but if your not and you want too learn there system,get paid really low money, work a lot, and make them a lot of money on privates etc, go for it, it works for some people so they can gain the experiance(but be forwarned in there or other systems)you WILL be underpaid, used like a robot to sell sell sell lessons etc. i personally no 3 people who worked there and hated working there, (but again some people gain, from this, in the long run, so its your choice. some dances in the east coast will pay a teacher 100:00 for a hour class(most teachers do this part time(other places like dance studios on the east coast will give you 25 too 45 hr for a class depending on how many sign up, as tangotime said it depends on where you live etc.. but to work for a dance studio generally speaking, you wont make that much(independent seems to me the best) but it takes time to get a name, i only do it part time...
  5. Me

Me New Member

We'll see where the wind takes me but I'm not a kid anymore and just can't start teaching at a school where they want to pay me $15 an hour. I'm all for people making money but that's a hard pill to swallow.

I'm still exploring options. Haven't gone pro yet... don't have the qualifications to even think about going pro. I was considering a teacher training situation but haven't found one yet that pays well enough for me to support myself on.
  6. tangotime

Dn.dj-- I take just a little exception to your analysis of chain schools .

Being a former owner of many schools over the yrs, it invariably brings people to the conclusion, that because studios charge x amount of $ / £ , they put all of that in their pockets and leave the studio every nite in their limo-- yeah-- right !! . Fact is, the overheads of running any business, is far beyond your conception, that is if you have never been in that position.
    I,m not crying poor mouth-- but it is never easy to make those weekly payrolls, rent, --oh that rent -- and all the other miriad expenses that are hidden from view .

When employing someone who is new, you have to factor in the cost of training that person (s ) .

No legitimate chain or independant, is going to employ someone, just to have them standing around. the chances are that you will develop your craft, learn business practices , and possibly get to compete ( at no expense to you ) in due course, if you so desire .

Lastly, unless the min. wage has risen dramatically, $ 10 per hr plus comissions plus activity pay , can quickly escalate into a decent weekly wage.--
    If the reason you are coming into my profession is money-- then I suggest you look elsewhere for your career . Have NEVER in all my yrs come across a long serving member, who could honestly say-- " If it were not for the money, would have left this yrs ago ".
  7. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

tangotime well to each his own, we all know owner"s have bills etc etc. and should make more money, thats a given, but the people i mentioned felt used, lied too, and pressured to sell every day, i (did say) its a sort of trade off and you can learn if your young, its not all bad , but really a lot of ballroom"s around here have(and not just ballrooms, they have reputations" for being shark"s the story are enddless not just from the aurtur murray crowd,you"ve been in dance longer than me true , but like i"ve said in another tread elsewhere i"ve been in music dance and dj for 30 years, well dj for 7 , so i gotzzzzzz some stuff to say too i know all the tricks ands games from all corners, again if someone wants to learn dance for low pay, work and and be used, in a gentile nice way(maybe) to sell sell sell, i dont think thats wrong if a person agrees to that and comes out of it with dance experiance...
  8. tangotime

There are bad apples in all barrells , and I will concede, that selling is part of the operation-- but isnt that what you, I and anyone does, when promoting ourselves- we are selling !; its all a matter of degrees.

I worked in Philly and Germantown , on 3 separate occasions , so i know the area pretty well, admitted, that was many yrs ago .

Philly was noted for its excellence in producing quality students at all levels ,( maybe still is ? ). Point-- the same practices were in vogue then -- but people kept on coming. Why ?--I believe they got value for money . Having said that, it also gave a very good living to the staff .

Like anything else , you have to work to advance, and in so doing, your value is commensurate with your ability ( in most cases ) in the dance industry .

Of course i would prefer to work independantly, as i currently do , but the chains gave me an excellent opportunity to increase my dance knowledge thru the Amer. system ( I was primarily Intern , style ) .

One thing you should realise---- many of todays champions, were originally chain school products . I had the good fortune, to do the initial training ( in a chain school) for 2 teachers , who both became U.S. champions .
  9. Me

Me New Member

But real studio owners drive caddies. :cool:
  10. tangotime

You saw me leaving one time ??
  11. Me

Me New Member

Fool you picked me off the corner after leaving your studio. You don't remember? Too much gin and juice after the party I reckon!

How else am I supposed to pay for my dance lessons and my baby daddy's new grill? (Don't judge!)
  12. tangotime

So thats where I lost my watch !!! :car:
  13. kittydanzer

kittydanzer New Member

Well, I've done everything but work for a franchise. The horror stories I heard from teachers there kept me away.

I've worked independently, as staff at an independent studio and I've owned my own studio. You get paid nothing at a franchise, and you have to fight for fair pay as staff at an independent studio. I recommend working as an independent instructor and take no less than 50% of what comes in.

I paid my instructors 50% at my studio, because it's our advertising and location that gets them the business. But if they're good enough to keep the student coming, then they are worth 50% for their work.

Now, as to skill level. After 15 years in ballroom, salsa, swing, and west coast swing, there are two main factors that will get you the students: Charisma/Personality/Looks and Awards.

Most students are brand new and have no clue what a good teacher is like--- they assume that if they aren't getting it, it's "them." I had one instructor who was young and beautiful, and the guys fell over themselves to take with her (even experienced guys!), even though her instruction level/ experience was way below others in the studio...

Good luck!
  14. Me

Me New Member

When Fence said, "This ain't a Movado... did tangotime give you this?" I knew I had been had. :(
  15. DanceScientist

DanceScientist New Member

Oh yes, I know there is a lot of overhead. And, many staff teachers don't appreciate that fact. At our school, the rent by itself is $25,000 per month. So, almost a $1,000 per day just to keep the place on the map! On top of teacher salaries, there are the salaries of two full-time managers and two receptionists (close to full-time), benefits for full-time staff, and bills for electricity, gas, supplies, etc. All of these need to paid through the fees from private lessons, group classes, parties, and floor rents.
  16. HardLuckDance

HardLuckDance New Member

and thats the crux of it. my husband usually helps bail me out on a bad month. but it is nice because i have flexible hours and leaves me a little time to try and build my own company up. the goal is not to go back to waitressing as well.
  17. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

YMMV, but a training situation that pays well probably doesn't exist. Brand new teachers (who are experienced dancers, but without major dance titles) won't get paid much more than $15/hour (except maybe in cities with 200% of the COL). Brand new teachers without much dance experience will make significantly less. As long as FA/AM can grab a young person off the street to train into a teacher, this won't change.
  18. tangotime

The rent is 25 grand a month ??-- what-- are you in Times Sq. ??? ( even if its canadian--( wow ! )
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

Silicon Valley. Tres' expensive.
  20. tangotime

Again-- $ 15 an hour ?-- how many unskilled workers do you know ( not government:rolleyes: ) that start at that rate ? . As my post stated, most chains give a guarantee . $ 15 also twice the min. wage .

The last chain in which I coached, paid all their teachers a base salary of $ 300 per week minimum ( 35 hr week ), ( not one was above a silver level ) and could earn more based on production.Most chains and some large indies, will provide some sort of guarantee structure .

I also need to re empathise , that ladies invariably do not get booked as quickly, as do men .

You also have to factor in , the training, that seldom if ever ( I actually, in my schools always did ) is given free in Indies.