How much is too much to pay for a lesson?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caityrosey, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I agree with people that say it depends with whom and for whom... I would love to be able to have taken only from the top teachers from the beginning like Larinda said. Although I do appreciate my first teacher who was great, and affordable..

I constantly kill my budget because of lessons and visiting teachers, but it is really worth it.

2. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

So do most people here concur, then, that there is no such thing as charging too much for a one hour lesson?

3. Katarzyna

If people are willing to pay and take the lesson, than it's not too much. If teacher start loosing all the students, than perhaps he doesn't teach well, ore charges way too much..

4. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Here's a slightly different question.

Should coaches refrain from charging more than a certain amount per hour from their students? Now of course this will vary in the ways we have discussed on this thread previously. However, what I'm getting at is: do coaches have the responsibility, on some level, to try to ensure that the knowledge they have to teach is accessible to almost anyone who wants to learn, or only to those who are fortunate enough to have the wherewithall to be able to pay for it? Once again, not trying to be over-critical of the coaches who work hard for their fees, I know. I'm just wondering about the ethics of this and whether anyone on the forum has given thought to it.

5. saludas

saludas New Member

WHO you take from has zero bearing on how pros teach you - they know for instance that anyone who comes up with the money can get a lesson - it's not like YOUR ability is judged before you give them your money, after all - you didn't audition for the lesson, did you? Lots of proammers take lots of lessons from top coaches, who (if they are truly professional) treat them like they would a dedicated amateur or a pro. And usually the proammers are the bulk of the $$s spent in a studio... so you expect Mary Proam to say "I take from (inseert famed coach name here)" since it is part of their political edge to go with well known coaches. I'm only impressed with the results (how well the student dances).

I totally disagree that the price depends on your 'level'. Actually, better dancers need DIFFERENT information than beginners, but all students need GOOD information, and the price of that information is not scaled to the 'difficulty' of the information, or the quality of the information.

A beginner getting real solid information from a great teacher at a high cost gets much more value than mediocre information at low cost. In fact, it is ultimately damaging in the long run - you'll just have to redo and rethink in a few years, anyway, once you begin to understand more and you see the limitations of 'that great teacher who only charged xxx'...

A common problem? beginners who think they do NOT need to understand basic actions. Or beginners who think a lesson is 'good' when they are happy at the end. Or beginners who think that quantity of lessons is value, rather than the quality.

Remember, advanced dancers work on very basic actions in their lessons. The common thread is: "I just took a lesson with xxxx. It was awesome!." "Really? What did you work on?" "A natural turn. For an hour".

6. Katarzyna

Well they have to recover their investment somehow. They spent thousands and thousands of dollars to arrive at a certain level of expertise. They took hours of expensive lessons...

7. Katarzyna

or moving from foot to foot.. or moving forward and back :)

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

First off I have never had lessons with those people. Secondly who said I could afford it? I said I wish. Lets not assume that pros are rolling in the dough, I drive a hand-me down Cavalier after all... :nope:

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

...or doing a cha cha basic the entire lesson...

10. Medira

Medira New Member

Or walking... or cuban motion...

11. Katarzyna

walking is a big one :):cool:

12. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I totally agree...no reason why they shouldn't make a decent living

13. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh definitely. I've had about a handful of lessons now that have just been walking. That's it. They've been great!

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Walking. Oh my. My teacher told me "One day, I'll teach you how to walk". And she actually meant walking, not rumba walks or anything. :shock: :lol: She says that the way I think of moving is so weird.

Twilight Elena

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes. I've had those too. And I've heard "posture, posture, posture" and "get on that foot, you're not on that foot" and "if you're really on that foot, pick up the other foot" and "oh, so you shifted, so you really weren't on that foot" and "get on that leg faster" and "where's the body rhythm, I don't see any body rhythm" and "keep pressure on the back foot" and "the movement is not clear" and "you can't do body rhythm and move at the same time" and my personal favorite "you cheater!!!"

16. Medira

Medira New Member

That's a big one for me because I have no support in my spine from my shoulder blades to my tailbone, so if I'm not really aware of it, my spine literally slips out of place.

17. dTas

dTas New Member

you can also look at it this way...

would you go to a college professor to learn how to add? or would you go to an elementary school teacher?

i think it depends on the information that you want to learn and what level dancer you are. as you move up in experience and knowledge then you will require higher levels of coaching.

sure a college professor can teach you how to add but also a college education is much more expensive than elementary school (even a private school).

but of course you do have to be sure that the beginning instructor (elementary teacher) that you go to gives you good information that will build the proper foundations for more advanced dancing. and so forth as you grow in your dance "education".

note: i don't want to start a debate on how expensive some private schools are. usually if a child goes to an expensive private school they will go to a proportionally expensive college or university.

18. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Are you saying that advanced teaching ought to be more expensive and more expert than beginner teaching? As a beginner you do need different things from your teacher than you need as a more advanced dancer, but that shouldn't mean that a beginner should be taught with any less care or expertise should it? So does it follow, then, that the "value" of the teaching/learning is same if the care and expertise are the same?

Also, most college professors I know bemoan the fact that their PHDs haven't really gotten them jobs that earn more than their fellow educators in the elementary schools. :) Most professors who earn the big bucks are in research, and the value and prestige of the of the reserach is what they get paid for, maybe not neccessarily what they have to offer as a teacher....although they DO teach grad students, and I suppose their research experience might give them more to talk about in the classroom...thats complicated.

19. saludas

saludas New Member

The quality of the teaching is the issue here, not the amount of degrees or attainments of the coach. I pay good money for good coaching.

And, in your analogy - I'm an adult, not a 6 year old. 6 year olds need someone trained to deal with... 6 year olds. For an adult, it's not about learning how to add. That is way too small... it's about learning mathematics. Adding is but one small part.

For an ADULT, I would always prefer the coach that had a better grasp on the 'big picture'.

I also don't think a beginner has the ability to tellwhat is good coaching, or what coaching is good for a beginner.

20. saludas

saludas New Member

I have heard WAY too many stories of people discussing YEARS wasted because they went to the local 'pro' and discovered that the 'pro' was a 6 week wonder or had no idea what technique was or some such nonsense.

I actually know of a couple that was told they were learning International Standard for 2 years - and were actually learning silver American.