How not to ask someone to dance

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by kieronneedscake, Oct 1, 2007.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Sound like more than an invitation but actually the beginning of the dance itself. Reminds me of the greater crested Ibis or some such performing its courtship ritual on a national geographic special :)
  2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

How about the Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry approach

"go ahead woman, make my day!""
  3. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Hmm.. Can't say that I'd respond too nicely to being called 'woman'. :tongue:
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeth, don't forget the Cathtillian lithp!
  5. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Yeah, never heard anyone pronounce it like that.

Argentinian Spanish is so much nicer than Spanish in Spain!
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why, because they have jamas and not yamas?
  7. jfm

jfm Active Member

They don't lisp in a lot of places in South America. Certainly not in Veracruz, Mexico. Do they lisp in Argentina? just curious, not saying they don't, but it doesn't sound like it in tango songs.
  8. Twirly

Twirly New Member

NO, definitely no lisp in Buenos Aires!

That is one of the things that make it nice to me, but also the way they pronounce "ll" and "y" as "sh", and the whole melody when they speak. To me it sounds much softer than European Spanish.

But all this has been discussed elsewhere here.
  9. The Bear

The Bear New Member

I prepared to be corrected on this, but I always thought Portugese was the language of Argentina. :???:
  10. The Bear

The Bear New Member

I thank you. :D
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not particularly, although I wouldn't be surprised to find it spoken in some areas. Spanish predominates.

(Perhaps you're thinking of Brazil? Portuguese is, as I understand it from what my Brazilian AT teacher has said, the language of Brazil.)
  12. The Bear

The Bear New Member

Actually - now you mention it - I was probably thinking of Brazil. Now I feel like a fool, don't I? :oops:
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. I feel that way on a pretty regular basis. Join the club.