How old are the dancers in your local community?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by KevinL, May 26, 2004.

1. KevinL

KevinL New Member

This topic has come up before (several times, I'm sure), but I'll ask again.

How old are you? How old were you when you started dancing?

How old are the competitive dancers in your area?

How old are the social dancers?

I feel that the best thing for ballroom dance, and partner dancing as a whole, would be if _everyone_ were dancing (but I'm biased). What specific age demographic is not present in your local community? What could be done to increase the interest in dance of that age group?

Kevin

2. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm 39. I was 32 when I started dancing. The competitive dancers in my area range from pre-teens (probably as young as 7) to Senior II's (over 50...I know some who are in their 60's). Social dancers seem to range from college age to their 60's.

3. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

i'm seventeen right now and i've been dancing for like ever. all the dancers in my community range from all ages. dancing is gradually becoming more and more popular and more parents are pushing their little kids into studios. i know my studio has dancers from the ages of three to eighteen right now. the other places around me have adult dance studios as well as little kid and teen studios.

4. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I'm 31 (started dancing when i was 27) and have been told that i am very brave to dance at some of the socials, because i am a child (age wise) compared to the other dancers. I don't discriminate age wise, if i need my dance fix for the evening, i need to dance.
    I am bad at judging age, but i think the majority of people in our studios are 40's and older. ( Picture : can hardly walk any more but they are there to dance ). Then, we have the college studios and their dances. The only dance that seem to attract all age groups are USABDA dances. Most probably because the dance is held at one of the biggest dance studios.

5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

41; started about 3-1/2 years ago, although didn't dance regularly for about 8 months of that time.

Average competitive age in my studio is probably 35-40. We have some really good competitive dancers that are around 50, too. Gives me inspiration, for sure.

As for the social scene; depends on where you go. The place I was at last weekend was mostly 40+, with a lot being 60+. I was at once place where I was ALWAYS the youngest. Most of those dancers would stop and shoot the breeze with their pals on the floor, so we stopped going. My partner called them asteroids and we agreed that it taught us good floorcraft. I think some of the other Boston-area social enviornments tend to be a bit younger than this particular place!

6. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

:p :p :p :p

I'll have to remember this one for reminding our breeze-pals to get off the floor (if they are not dancing) this weekend .

7. mamboqueen

The sad fact is I'll be an asteroid some day! Hee hee! Right now, I'm just a lowly piece of moonrock!

The other funny thing these couples would do is dance side-by-side together. Maybe that's how it was done in the good 'ol days??

I would never want to discriminate; like I said, I'll be their age one day, too!

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm in my late 20s and my first dance lesson/dancing early 2003, but did not really do anything until the Fall. So I think that Fall 2003 should be my starting date. Competitive is mostly college kids in my area, and for social their is a good mixture with attendee demographics varying depending on locale and who is hosting the dancing. The age demographic poorly represented are the pre-college kids.

9. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

why do i suddenly feel so young.... lol

10. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Great topic idea, KevinL! :D

I'm 15. I started dance about a month before I turned 15 (It'll be one year of dancing mid-September! :banana:).

I don't know the competitive scene/social scene very well; considering my age and lack of drivers license, my outing life is very, *very* small!!!! :wink: 8)

However, the Salsa workshop I just went to was run by the Indiana REBELS, a WCS group, (social dancing, I believe) and most of them were probably in their 40s and above, with maybe a few in their 30s. But it was still fun. =^_^=

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

11. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

yay! i don't feel so young anymore, haha :p

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I was 26 when I started dancing.

The competitive dancers here are mixed in age. As for social dancers the ones at the ballroom dances are mixed; lately there are more teenagers. The lindy hoppers are mainly college age and the westies I'd say are mainly in the 35-50 range.

The least represented age group are elementary school age children.

13. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:wink: Glad I could help! 16 this October, Junior year begins after Summer Vacation (started today!) ends! :D

14. mamboqueen

Eeek! Now I have the sudden pressure to watch my language :)

Nice to see you younger ones taking this up at an early age; it's something you'll be so thankful for later on. I wish I had started that early!

Okay. back to your homework!! :lol:

15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:shock: Hey! No special treatment! :evil: I'm no different from you all just 'cause I'm younger! :wink: 'Sides, I'm the daughter of a Navy Officer + Pilot, and the granddaughter of a WWII bomber! =^__^= Oh, and well, I'm in Band {'specially during the Summer Band!}; so I know my way around the Dark Side of the English Language! :twisted: :twisted: But I know *when* and when *not* to use it, which is what many people never learn, so I'm *veeeeery* careful with it!

I wish I'd started earlier, quite honestly! :D :D I can't believe I've missed out, all these years!

NEVER!!! "School's out for the summer!!!!" Whoo-hoo!!!!! :wink: :twisted:

16. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I'm 31 and I started dancing when I was 9. Age range at our studio is huge, from late teens to one guy who is well into his 80's. Our studio generally doesn't teach kids, but there have been a couple of exceptions with children of existing students.

17. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Why don't they normally teach kids, d_f? Are there just none around to teach?

18. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

haha, sakura :wink: i'll be eighteen this september so yay for me... and yay for you turning sixteen soon :p

19. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Whoo-hoo!!!! Tax-time cometh!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: But seriously, congratulations to you!

20. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

hahaha... i'm looking forward to the whole "i'm on my own... i'm legal" part of being eighteen, lol. congratulations to you too... sixteen's a big year too :p