How to apply castor oil properly

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Peterium, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Peterium

Peterium New Member

Hi, I've been experimenting with castor oil, here's somethings I've tried.
    1. Soak the castor oil on a piece of paper towel and stepping on it.
    2. Applying some castor oil on a piece of paper towel and wipe it over the surface of the shoe.
    3. Soak the shoe with castor oil. and letting it dry.

In cases:
    1. Seems that I have to brush vigorously before it can be of use, lasts about 20-30 mins.
    2. Immediately useable, lasts about 2-3 songs.
    3. Must wait for the shoe to dry in a day or two, but the shoe remains kinda nice and sticky for a couple of days.

How do REAL competitors usually apply their castor oil?
  2. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Hello Peterium..

I do #2 and apply as needed.. never heard of anyone soaking the shoe in castor oil.
  3. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I apply a small amount directly to the sole and rub it in with the sole of the other shoe in a circular motion spreading it evenly.
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Whats this for? Are your shoes Vitamin E deficient? :p

I suppose this is to make your shoes more slippery? BUt doesn't the castor oil has to go somewhere - do you get slippery spots on the floor?
  5. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Exactly the opposite. Use it on latin shoes to make them less slipery on ultra slippery floors.
  6. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

It turns your shoes into superglue.
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ah. And a benefit I guess is that the oil is good for the wood... :)
  8. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

apparently not. It's banned from use at quite a few comps here.
  9. mummsie

mummsie Member

I have used it in an emergency but WaltzElf is correct - most places here you aren't allowed to use it. I have it in an old roll on deodorant bottle which fits into my comp bag. I just roll it on if the need arises. - mummsie
  10. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Of course, what they don't know can't hurt them.

The comp organisers, I mean.

Most floors are fine without castor oiling the shoes, but some.... I didn't sign up for ice skating.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and then the reverse wouldbe baby powder to make it more slippery...frankly glad that I am not in the habit of doing either
  12. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

[FONT=&quot]Most top dancers I know carry three pairs of shoes to comps – a castor oiled pair, a regular pair and a baby powdered pair, and then pick the appropriate pair of shoes for the floor on the day. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The last thing you want to be worried about on a comp day is whether you’d slip on or stick to the dance floor. [/FONT]
  13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yep, would rather depend on my own foot strength and balance than on things that could ruin a floor or hurt another dancer.

Only time I've had a real floor problem, stepped in a spot that got misted with water. Got led into a spin, did the most beautiful spin with every part of my body except the foot that I was on. That foot didn't move at all. Luckily my husband caught me, or I'd have been on the floor.
  14. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Sometimes easier said than done. I've got great balance on 90% of floors, but I did a comp once on a highly polished floor that had only been repolished the morning of the competition.

When the seniors competitiors refuse to take to the floor unless the organisers lay wax down you're glad you put a bit of castor oil on the base of the shoe the night before.
  15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

How to apply castor oil properly?

Simple!

1) You will need a spoon

2) Fill spoon with oil

3) Swallow. Be very careful not to aspirate it - people have died that way

4) Within a few hours, that feeling of desperation to alter the floor will... no longer be in you.
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Lol...I thought the thread was for an Edgar Cayce fan who wanted to make castor oil packs for health reasons.
  17. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

Only last month discovered something WAY more convenient and works great. The couple in front of us in line were applying a 'powder' to their shoes (we all knew the floor was an 'ice rink'). She turned to us and asked "would you like some, it's very slippery out there"? We were like "huh"... powder and a slippery floor? Turned out it was an anti-glide powder available on danceshopper. The stuff was amazing, and no messing around with oils (liquids), spoons, hiding it, or even the do I eat it or apply it dilemma.
  18. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Why can't we do the same and refuse to take the floor unless they lay down some wax. Level 2 is the largest field out there besides adult open (which is really a combination of level 3, 4 & 5).:rolleyes:
  19. cshorte

cshorte Member

are the materials/contents of the bottle listed anywhere? :)
  20. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

I used to use it a lot, but now I hardly use it now, as my technique has improved. Less friction makes it easier to turn, but it is harder to control. Now I clean my shoes over night and apply the oil. it makes the shoe soft but not sticky as if you just applied it. people ban oil, b/c if you use too much it can create an uneven and potentially dangerous surface.