How to Cook an Egg

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 10, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Silly topic, I know, but with Easter celebrations out there, believe it or not, all the newspapers I've seen lately have run at least one article on how to cook the perfect hard boiled egg.

Bottom line, most non-professional cooks, make them however Mommy made them. And the pros out there appear to all have their own unique methods.

So now I'm curious. If you eat them, um, how do YOU cook an egg? :wink: 8)
  2. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Well, this will completely contradict what I wrote in the "What Kind of Chef are You" thread.

How I cook eggs depends on how I want them. Don't know about the perfect hard boiled egg--I just dump em in the boiling water and leave em there for about 8 or 10 minutes or so.

Scrambled--the problem with scrambled eggs you get out is that they're cooked on way too high heat. So they turn out rubbery. You need to cook your scrambled eggs on medium low heat. I always add a little milk to get them to fluff.

Omelette--here is where you want relatively high heat. You want the omelette to cook pretty quickly so you can throw in the stuffing--onions, cheese, crumbled bacon, chopped broccoli, peppers, whatever--and then flip the other side over it.

With both scrambled and omelette style eggs, it's important to remember that the eggs are still cooking when they leave the pan, so I try to get them out of the pan just before they get to the optimum consistency.

I take my fried eggs over easy--and there's nothing that's worse to me than an overcooked fried egg, where the yoke is hard. I like the warm, runny yoke that you can clean up with a piece of toast.

Unless the fried egg is going on a bagel--at which point I want it over medium. The yoke is not runny, but it isn't hard and dry either--that's the most difficult egg to cook, I think.

Interesting fact about Easter, bunnies, and eggs--which we tend to think of as a kid's game. The Anglo-Saxons, before their conversion to Christianity in 6th century, had a goddess called Eostre. She was a fertility figure, her animal was the hare, and her symbol was the egg. Like the Yule log and the Christmas tree--a popularized echo of a pagan past.

Cheers,

Genesius
  3. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I suppose scaring everyone into knowing undercooking eggs is not the most healthy thing you can do.

I prefer mine scrambled or hard-fried. I also like a good omelette, with tomato, mushroom, italian sausage, and cheese.

No wait, that's how I like my pizza.
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I might have all that on an omelette, but I stay away from pizzas.
  5. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Since I usually eat eggs with the yolk, a lot of times I don't need the extra fat from frying in oil. So, to make poached eggs, I set a small pot of water to boil. Once its just starting to boil, I put in about a tablespoon of good quality vinegar and a dash of salt.

Once its got a good rolling boil, I crack each egg into a small teacup and submerge the cup and gently pour out the eggs. I let them sit for just a bit, then cover the pot and turn off the burner.

The vinegar will help the eggs stay together, and in just a few minutes (more or less time for a softer or firmer yolk), you will get wonderfully poached eggs that are very healthy. Put a few spices on them...or on toast...its quite delicious. :)

SG
  6. pygmalion

Right now, I'm experimenting, so I'm not sure abut the hard-boiled egg recipe. (Those darned articles gave me lots of ideas, sorry to say.)

For scrambled, make sure you add about a half a Tablespoon (will look for metric conversion) of milk per egg. Then whisk the eggs and milk together before frying/scrambling. Milk makes the eggs really fluffy. 8)
  7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Metric conversions now? What's wrong with approximations? Cooking eggs isn't an analytical science!! :wink: :)
  8. pygmalion

True. But if you live anywhere other than the US, non-metric hasn't been done in the past thirty years. Only the US is stuck with the old "English" system.
  9. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I prefer my way of cooking eggs..its SO simple.....Dont!! :lol: :lol:

I hate eggs, cant even stand to look at the non chocolate variety! :lol: :lol:
  10. pygmalion

So how do you deal with the fact that there's egg in everything, such as pre-made cake, ice cream, even fried rice?
  11. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Tablespoon -is- the metric conversion. You really only have to convert weights or liquid volumes.

Heres a useful URL
    http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Cheers
    Sarah
  12. pygmalion

Thanks, Sarah. I wonder why I've seen recipes that had everything in mL's, etc? Maybe someone was getting over zealous. *shrug* Hmm.
  13. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

For my deviled eggs, I add real bacon bits. A good smokey flavor addition. :D
  14. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Oh I will eat it if I dont know its there ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually pick it out if I can see it, but otherwise unless whatever Im eating really smells like egg, I dont have a problem eating it.

Im a strange person :lol:
  15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the protein in eggs coagulates at around 170 degrees fahrenheit. as it is possible to overcook a protein, which can happen to eggs if you allow the water to boil and sustain a temperature of 212 degrees fahrenheit, i have adopted the following method which produces hard boiled eggs with a tender white, no cracks (especially relevant at easter), & a firm and still yellow yolk (no green around the edges, etc.) and peels easily:

-place eggs in pan in an amount of cold water sufficient to immerse the eggs;
    - heat until the water just begins to simmer;
    - remove from heat, cover, and let sit for about 30 minutes or until water is cool enough to touch;

the purpose to the technique is to allow a gentle transfer of heat to the eggs from the water while never letting the temperature rise above 190 degrees fahrenheit or so.

the same technique works especially well for poaching seafood (overcooked fish = YUCK!), btw, & is a fairly common practice in france, which is where i learned about it. the only differences are that you bring the poaching liquid to a simmer (again in a sufficient quantity so as to completely immerse the fish by at least 3/4") before adding the fish, and that it's usually necessary to continue heat to sustain the simmer for a few minutes before removing from heat and covering, and factors such as the density of the fish and the ratio of cooking liquid to seafood will influence the cooking time - one scallop in 5 quarts of liquid will be done in seconds, but something like swordfish will be barely cooked through regardless of how long you let it sit if you don't continue to simmer for a bit. and if you choose, you can reduce the poaching liquid (sorry, reducing means simmering away from of the liquid so as to concentrate the flavor) as a base for an accompanying sauce (add some butter).
  16. pygmalion

The method I'm beginning to like is similar.

Place eggs in cold water. Set timer for 15 minutes(large eggs) 18 minutes (extra large eggs). Bring eggs to a boil in an uncovered pot. Boil about a minute, then remove from heat and cover. When the timer goes off, drain the hot water and submerge the eggs in very cold water to stop the cooking process, then serve as usual.
  17. pygmalion

Anybody have suggestions about adding stuff to the water? I've heard about vinegar or salt. Anything else?
  18. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Actually, I found this to work much better too. Eggs dont get over cooked and are still soft, not dried out. :D
  19. pygmalion

Okay. So here's a totally off-the-wall question. How do you peel a hard-boiled egg? Meaning the dang shells keep sticking to mine. What am I doing wrong? :? :(

And, while we're at it, do you know of any way to keep them from cracking while they're cooking?
  20. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, never liked hard boiled egg - had too many of those when i was little.... i think one method is to soak the egg in water right after it's cooked. i guess the reasoning is the egg will shrink and hopefully make it easier to peel?? never tried it b4 though....