How to Cook an Egg

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Cracking while cooking? :? Never happened to me...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You've never had an eye crack while you were boiling it? :shock: Really? Then tell me how you boil eggs, when you get some time, please. I bet you don't bring them to a rolling boil... 8)

3. lynn

lynn New Member

i thought you bring them to boil and then turn down the heat - this way, the egg is less likely to crack during the process.

4. diputs

diputs New Member

Since we are talking eggs.

How long can they stay in your fridge before they go bad?

I have had some eggs in the fridge for an unknown amount of time. They say they expire on August 11th. Does this mean they should go in the garbage? Or should I be saving them for mischeif night.

5. lynn

lynn New Member

here's something interesting:

Older eggs are great to use when hard-cooking (boiled) as they will peel easier. They will keep for about a week in the shell, 2-3 weeks if peeled and placed in a freezer bag.

When frying an older egg, it will spread out further in the pan, as the white (albumen) gets thinner. When fresh, the yolk will stand high and the white will stay close to the yolk in your pan. Nothing wrong with cooking the older egg, it just doesn't look as nice.

The term "rotten egg" seldom occurs today, thanks to refrigeration. The interior of the egg will probably evaporate before it becomes "rotten". We have seen eggs several months old still very usable, but could not recommend you that you do this!

6. lynn

lynn New Member

Don't quote me on it, but this is what :google: says

Eggs will normally stay fresh for two weeks after they are purchased if refrigerated properly. Most refrigerators have egg holders, if you use these it may be worth it to write the expiration date on the eggs with a pencil. Here are some ways to tell if your eggs are fresh:

Take your eggs and place them in a bowl of water. If the egg is fresh, it will sink to the bottom and lie on its side. An older egg will stand up on one end and if the eggs are REALLY old, they may even float.

An egg white that appears cloudy is a sign of a fresh egg and egg whites that are thick are also very fresh. Egg whites thin out as they age.

If you happen to drop one of your eggs while determining its freshness, an easy way to clean up is to pour a lot of salt on it and wait about ten minutes, it will clean up easily!

So....good luck!

7. lynn

lynn New Member

now that this topic's getting me to think about eggs, i have a silly question: what's the difference between over & easy and sunnyside up?? The cooking methods seem similar, but i'm sure they turn out differently, any ideas??

8. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I was always told that the egg holders in the door of the fridge are useless. Unless you keep your fridge closed (and who does?) the release of cold air every time you open the fridge door does not allow the eggs to keep properly. I usually keep eggs in their carton on a shelf in the fridge. They keep for a lot longer than 2 weeks for me.

9. pygmalion

Yes. I like to keep the eggs on a proper shelf. All that warm air/ocld air can't be good for something that needs to be kept fresh, IMO. I think I might have tomatoes and a pound of butter in my egg holder, right at the moment. :lol:

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

To make hardboiled eggs easier to peel you're supposed to cool them in an ice bath immediately after boiling.

11. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I don't know but I always assumed Over Easy meant that the egg was turned over carefully and not cooked very long so that the yoke would still be runny, but the egg would be fried on both sides.

Sunny Side Up to me suggests cooking on only one side, but letting the egg cook on that side until the yoke and white coagulate enough to take out of the pan and put on a plate.

Here is a description of differences in fried eggs

http://www.eggs.ab.ca/recipes/basics/friedeggs.html

12. pygmalion

Hah! I'd forgotten this thread existed. I think I asked the question over in the recipe thread as well, a year or two ago.

How to cook a hard boiled egg so that it doesn't stick to the shell.

All I'd ever heard was to age the eggs a little, because very fresh eggs tend to want to stick to the shell. today, I was checking around youtube for something completely unrelated and happened upon a chef talking about his method for cooking a perfect boiled egg.

He recommends adding a teaspoon of baking soda to the water before boiling the eggs. The baking soda loosens the membrane.

Will try it and report back. :)

13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

FYI, we use your method for hard-boiling eggs. (For DH only. I can't stand hard-boiled eggs.) Submerse in cold water, bring just to a boil, cover and take off heat for 10 minutes, then drain and put them in an ice bath. Works perfectly every time. Ease of peeling I've only ever seen related to egg age.

That's the only sort of egg I can cook. Mostly I FUBAR them, so I don't bother even trying anymore. (Generally, I tried making myself some scrambled this past week, and they didn't turn out well.) DH is the egg (and bacon, and fish, and grilled anything) cook in our house. No idea what he does, but they turn out good.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My shells don't stick when I hardboil - I immediately put them in cold water and leave them to cool. Learned that from mom.

And I do sunnyside-ups the way my dad learned to do them in Greece - cook in sufficient olive oil that you can spoon the oil over top as they cook in the pan. The oil cooks the top nicely, and you can easily control firmmess of the yolk.

Appears parental legacy has been pretty good in the egg department. :)

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

So how do you poach an egg?

My local kitchen store has silicon egg poaching cups...but BF is insistent that you pour them straight into the water. Which way? Both ways?
    I've never poached an egg...can you poach them so they're hard, not soft?

16. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Poached-EggF6Lg-flv

mindputtee likes this.
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've tried many times to poach an egg and always end up with a mess. I'll have to try the boiling for 10 seconds though, that might solve the problem.

18. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Eggs for poaching need to be fresh, and I acidulate the water with a good glug of vinegar as well as plenty of salt. Both help the white to coagulate. Don't drop the egg into the water, but slip it in, from just above the surface of already simmering water. You can cook the yolk to firm if you want, but I can't see the point of poaching if that's what you want.

19. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Only marginally relevent to cooking eggs, but this is where the "eggs-perts" should be.

Normally I buy extra-large eggs, but last time there weren't any so I bought jumbo. When I was making my weekly frittata, I was surprised when I cracked open the first egg and found that it had two yokes. But then the remaining four eggs were also double-yoked.

Is that what makes a jumbo egg jumbo? That they would have all been twins?

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

no... but how close to a nuclear power plant is the place those eggs were from??