How to Cook an Egg

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Apr 10, 2004.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

The sun was already up, so I couldn't see whether they glowed.

ADDENDUM:
    According to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_egg_sizes ), in the USA jumbo is 2.5 oz or greater in weight, so maybe twins do get favored in that selection.

Medium -- greater than 1.75 oz.
    Large -- greater than 2 oz.
    Extra Large -- greater than 2.25 oz.
    Jumbo -- greater than 2.5 oz.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

better test... have you grown a third eye yet??

hmmm who knew thanks

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just for the record. Groan.

According to this, similar, but not exactly. Hens are supposed to release an ovum every day or so, but, in younger pullets who've just started laying, sometimes, they gets release just a few hours apart. When that happens, you gets doubles in one shell.

http://www.betterhensandgardens dot com/2011/04/13/what-causes-double-yolks/

And btw Better Hens and Gardens. Bad pun.

4. pygmalion

You made me curious, but it was too late to edit. According to this faq answer from OK State, double eggs might begin to develop, but twin chicks are unlikely to result because the conditions inside the shell are usually "not adequate for two embryos."

ETA: There is a video on youtube of a lady helping twin chicks (one became a hen; the other became a rooster) emerge from their shell. Long and detailed and not entirely my cup of tea, so I won't post it. So short answer Yes. Double egg yolks could become twin chickens, but they probably won't.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I love when that happens...

There are sizing standards for eggs. Most jumbos don't have double yolks.

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

And a friend linked me to this BBC Magazine article, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16118149, laying it at the claws of young hens, the fact that the eggs in the carton tend to come from the same brood of hens, and that those hens in that brood are all the same age. So if one egg in the carton is double-yolked, then it's very likely that the rest are too. That article also mentioned that young hens tend to lay smaller eggs and left this unsaid, but I interpret that as meaning that if a young hen produces a jumbo egg, it will be because it has two yolks.

Also, I am ashamed to discover my horrible spelling error, having been writing "yoke" instead of "yolk". My father told me of a retired English teacher who had told him that one of the first things to go as you get older is spelling. Well, I guess the yolk's on me. And since I deserve the consequences, I won't even duck and run.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

glad you are not a chicken D Wise 1;)

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Glad he didn't chicken out.

9. pygmalion

Oy vey!

That's all I'm sayin. :)

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

At least nobody threw any eggs at me.

11. pygmalion

Oy! *head slappy thing*

I was expecting an "Don't you mean, 'Ei vey?'" from you mister. So much for setting you up for the perfectly corny pun. (Unless my oh-so-minimal German fails me and Ei is not actually an accurate translation for egg. lol)

12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Managed to poach eggs using a combination of the Julia/Jacques method: pricked the fat end of the shell, boiled 10 seconds, removed, reduced to a simmer, added a splash of vinegar, cracked close to the water, swirled over on itself, let cook, then removed with a slotted spoon. Sounds a lot more complicated when you actually write it all out... but in the end, it worked! Still is a lot of effort for a couple eggs, so poaching eggs won't be a regular habit.

13. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Good grief, no! In England, almost everyone over around 40 will go to the grave thinking in proper units of measurement! Metric is all very well for the French ;), or for kids. I'll stick to traditional measurements, thanks. I can even work out shoe sizes in barleycorns in my head!

pygmalion likes this.
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

My cranky, flu-ridden self finds it astonishing that there have been so many posts on boiling an egg. Seriously, folks. Put the damn things in a pot of water, bring water to a boil, boil 7 minutes, let them cool in the water, done and done.

Poaching? That's a "leave it to the professionals" moment, for me.

15. pygmalion

Say what you will, Ms. Cranky Pants. I started this thread in 2004. It took until 2013 for me to get an answer to my question. Almost nine years of combined internet expertise and apparently nobody knows how to cook an egg. :p *ducks and runs*

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

This may be proof that DF has finally run out of thread topics...

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. pygmalion

Hey. We have threads about how you like your pizza and how to make spaghetti sauce, what you had for lunch and what you had for dinner. Why not how to cook an egg?

18. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I tried a new way to cook an egg today - scrambled it in the pan. It worked out very well, except I didn't know when to add the splash of milk.