how to do enrosque ( for a man)

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by aaah, Oct 28, 2012.

1. aaah

aaah Member

can someone tell me how to do these - I see a lot of video but no clear instruction on how to actually spin on one foot all the way around without shifting weight. I lose my balance half way around (180 turn) yet I see men do 360 turns on one foot.

do I just keep practicing blindly or is there some technique I must master. Please tell me anything to help with this.
  2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi aaah, it works with spiral energy only, neither with active swiveling, swing, or any other direct momentum. Train the following exercise daily to either side. First try to do every single move consciously, later you may practice more fluently.

1) step forward, toe angle only 4 or 5 degrees outwards,
    2) twist your shoulders outwards, try to reach 80 degrees or more,
    3) still look straight ahead forward,
    4) hook the other food behind, and simultaneously,
    5) let the spring loose, weighted on the ball,
    6) keep your nose above the knee of the pivoting foot,
    6) let the spiral energy take you only as far as it will go by itself,
    7) shift your weight to the other foot on time.

You will lose your balance in the moment the spiral energy has depleted. To get further round you will need a greater tension of that spring in your body.
  3. opendoor

And don´t be frustrated if you will not reach 360° In the partnered situation she will help you to complete the circle.
  4. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

First there are many kinds of enrosque. Which one are you trying to perform.

Without fluent full dissociation and undissociation you will hardly making.
    (watch for shoulder -> hip -> leg transition)

Be careful about continuosly moving in circular manner with one part of body while rest is standing still,
    and at certain moment you need to move circular activites to other part while else should remaining still.
    That way you will achieve necessary circularity. :cool:

IMHO The reasons why you lose balance is following:
    1. You are to high so you are more prone to centrifugal force and tend more easily to lose balance
    2. You are unconsciously leaning so therefore you lose balance
    3. You don't have circular energy from you dissociation/undissociation movement.

Great demos for enrosques:

video tutorial that could help:

some material with video:
    http://tangostudent.blogspot.com/2009/02/leader-and-follower-enrosques.html

I was trying to help, with quite technical terms.
    Although I believe that you need extra follower to follower well done enrosque.

Cheers. :D
    opendoor likes this.
  5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

They are hard as [heck] to learn, and require lots of practice. My advise would be to fin a teacher who is really good at them, and the he could watch you and see what is going wrong.

Now to try to directly answer your question, I would start by taking a single front ocho step and then pivot 360 degrees. Hint, you get better by doing it as slow as you can, rather than doing it very quickly (which is easier).

Once your balance is good enough for that, then take the same front ocho step, but when you start the pivot, slowly move the free foot into the enrosque (cork screw) position to complete the pivot.

The really hard part is once you can do that, the last thing is to try and do a weight change as you near the end of the pivot.
  6. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

An enrosque is a turn without moving your feet. It's easy to do if you know how to lead a woman around you. Then do the same without moving your feet. There is no right or wrong way to do it as long as you lead her around you just as you would if you stepped.
  7. opendoor

Oucht, This will spoil your knees.
  8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I wondered about that as well.
  9. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Never mind the knees: an enrosque isn't a turn without moving your feet.
  10. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

To clarify, I mean that no step (lifting of the feet) is taken during the turn; your feet will pivot. The woman will move around the man.
  11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

an oversimplified view of an enrosque: would be turn your chest as far as it will go to follow her giro. as you reach your limit, you pivot so your hips and legs catch up, and might even pass her, and you might even use a needle "Aguja" as a decoration, but not losing your balance will do nicely.
  12. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

One big problem I see with teaching tango in terms of steps is that students think about movement in terms of steps instead of movement in terms of the bodies (torsos). If you think about tango as a movement of bodies (torsos) then steps take care of themselves. Neither the woman nor the man will lose balance because the body will be moving while the feet will be placed beneath. But once you think of it in steps, you will inevitably place your feet somewhere where it isn't beneath you, hence the loss of balance.
  13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

quite so....but a pivot isnt a step, so the balance issues are different. we step in normal life, but maybe we don't pivot
  14. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

But both feet are still connected to the floor. The loss of balance just wouldn't happen unless you are purposefully trying to do an enrosque as a step instead of as a turn.
  15. UKDancer

Tell that to a beginner trying back ochos for the first few times! But a feature of almost any pivot action is that we have one foot bearing weight and the other not. The connection to the floor is there, but it is minimal in one foot, so balance, as we turn, is an issue. The thing that seems to distinguish an enrosque action from any other pivot seems to be the degree of preliminary dissociation and the placement of the free foot, having stepped - it is usually either tucked behind, or around and in front of the standing leg. For the duration of the pivot, once the feet are together at all, it just comes for the ride, with or without a weight change to that foot at the conclusion of the turn, depending on how the leader intends to continue.
  16. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

A back ocho is simply a step backward and to the side. Likewise, a front ocho is a step forward and to the side. Both are very easy to lead and a beginner does not need any instruction on how to do them since it's just walking forward or backward. It's only when they are taught how to do them that they think it's difficult.

An enrosque is balanced with both feet bearing the weight. This allows both feet to pivot simultaneously. Where the feet are placed doesn't really matter as it can be done in any position.
  17. UKDancer

We have a rather different concept of enrosques, it seems. And of ochos, too, for that matter. I'll leave it at that.
  18. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Maybe, maybe not. I think the way we describe them are different since it's difficult to put into words a physical quality such as dance.
  19. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

There are two forms of enrosque. The one described above, as a step into a pivot, and one where you twist in place. The former has weight on one foot at a time, the latter is split weight.
  20. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Either way, it's still just a turn. It's not a step.