how to do enrosque ( for a man)

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by aaah, Oct 28, 2012.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

• enrosque: from enroscar. To coil, twist. While woman executes a molinete, man spins on one foot, hooking other foot behind the spinning foot.

Enrosque — From enroscar - to coil or twist: While the lady dances a molinete, the man pivots on his supporting foot, hooking or coiling the working leg behind or around in front of the supporting leg.

these are from tejastango and totango websites, and from my own experience.
    so I don't agree with your view. You might get some leverage from the free foot but its still a pivot on one leg.
  2. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I guess it's a matter of definition. To do the single weight enrosque, you need to step into it for momentum.
  3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

For the latter, do you mean that the leader's feet are apart, or together?

Out of interest:

4. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Yes, all of those definitions are doable. However, in order to gain leverage, both feet must have weight on them. You cannot push-turn the supporting leg without having placed weight of the pushing leg. This is why I say that both feet must bear weight.
  5. UKDancer

Disagree. The energy comes from dissociation, the step is incidental - just like an ocho.
  6. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

It doesn't matter. Feet can be slightly apart or together.
  7. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I think I know exactly what you mean even though I'm confused by "disassociation."
  8. Subliminal

The single weight enrosque is more common, and comes from an element of tango salon as practiced by more open dancers. The split weight enrosque is far less common now, and is most often used in apilado, where space is at a premium.

Nuevo/modern dancers have turned the split weight enrosque upside down, and asking a follower to split her weight and twist is now a core element of modern tango.
  9. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I hope they aren't doing this to classic tangos. It would look pretty ugly, imo.
  10. UKDancer

11. Subliminal

Disagree. The initial energy boost comes from the leader. Then the follower helps with the wind-up. It is annoying as a follower when the leader makes you do all the work. ;)
  12. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Okay... when I think of disassociation, I think super twisting action like in yoga. I don't think that's what you mean in this instance as it would be uncomfortable for the man.
  13. UKDancer

Agree on that, but I don't need a follower to carry me around a giro, and practise solo. The turning energy comes from my dissociation. YMMV.
  14. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I don't think this is tango in the close embrace. This just wouldn't happen in a close embrace and it would be uncomfortable for the woman to be tossed around like that.
  15. UKDancer

I think you urgently need to find a decent tango teacher!
  16. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I don't think this is tango in the close embrace. This just wouldn't happen in a close embrace and it would be uncomfortable for the woman to be tossed around like that.
  17. UKDancer

18. UKDancer

19. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

20. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I'm able to disassociate quite easily, however, in the close embrace, such movement is unsightly as well as uncomfortable, as well as unnecessary. I'm also quite a good dancer, I've been told.
  21. bordertangoman

You can only twist as far your body will allow. I'm quite flexible, others arent. it is not uncomfortable, evem the amount of turn can vary sometimes it can be just a media luna and exit. I use that a lot when I'm dancing close embrace.
  22. bordertangoman

i think there maybe a misunderstanding here; in close embrace the woman can take three steps around you without you needing to move anything but your chest, which stays with her, then you let, for eaxample, your trailing foot catch up and cross in front. The needle position for the free foot means that you avoid catching her feet.
  23. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Isn't that a lot of wasted energy and movement? I've learned to keep my shoulders square with my hips at all times since it transfers the motion most efficiently as well as make the lead much more comfortable.