How to fight water retention, bloating before a comp?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Mar 9, 2007.

1. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

I feel extremely bloated right now and experiencing high water retention. I feel very "fat" and "heavy" and it's not ideal for the competition this weekend especially the Latin portion tomorrow. I am thinking of going to CVS and pick up some anti bloating pills. Will they help me get rid of some water, and make my body shrink? Do they have overnight effect? Or will I run the risk of diarrhea over the comp? Thanks!

2. yanka

yanka New Member

never tried it, although drinking lots of fluids the day before helps for me (typically, your body retains more water when you're not ingesting as much so as to hold a reserve, so when you prove to your body that you're not going to dehydrate by drinking a lot of water, it releases most of the excess reserves).

3. evanluck

evanluck Member

Potassium versus Sodium

I have found that bloating has to do with higher ratios of sodium to potassium in your body. Try to cut down on salty foods and take in some foods that are high in natural potassium.

Try mixing a little organic apple cider vinegar with some blackstrap molasses and dilute the whole thing with water.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

am feeling the same today, tux... my only cure is blenderful (or two) of smoothies for dinner... if i could find fresh cranberries, i'd toss in 1/2 a bag... if not, watermelon or pineapple w/ fresh spinach... am planning on blending these up tonight and all day tomorrow... i don't have a comp, but i have a dance tomorrow night and certainly it's no fun dancing with extra weight...

you can put them on ice & bring along in bottles to your comp. nicely energizing, to boot. ;)

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I usually do a pms med the week before a comp...for a viariety of reasons

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

excellent advice, EL...