How to fix slippery floor (not shoes)?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yanou, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Great to hear!!
  2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Good to hear Yanou. :)
  3. Yanou

Yanou Member

Reporting back on this issue.

I started to use Slip No More 2000c, concentrated liquid rosin. It didn't stick too well on my floor when I followed the direction, so I needed to adjust the amount of water to add. The effect last for about a week, so I've been reapplying it every week.

All in all, I like the Anti-slip powder sprinkled (sparingly) on the floor.
  4. dTas

dTas New Member

i personally like slick floors, especially as a home surface to dance on. i believe slick floors make you work your dance technique and muscles to become a stronger dancer. if you learn and practice on a slick floor then when you get to the competition you can brush your shoes a little and produce that little extra something in your step to wow the judges.

also... if you are used to a slick floor you will have the advantage over others who are not used to slick floors. so when you're dancing you will have the control and muscle strength to execute what you want when others (who rely on the floor control their balance and help them dance) will falter.
  5. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I'd worry that too slick of a floor would be inviting injuries unless you start out VERY slowly. Perhaps that's not true as my only experience with a really slick floor was actually a slick patch at a studio and I nearly did the splits.
  6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Slick patches are dangerous. Slick floors are wonderful.
    The thing is, practicing on a slick floor will avoid a random floor you go visit being too slick. I tend to do most of my practicing at a studio that has a rather slick floor. Never have a problem on other floors. But people go try to dance at the studio I'm normally at will slip and slide because they're used to being on a less slick floor.
  7. dTas

dTas New Member

i used to say that you should be able to dance on ice; but then i realized that i've never tried it so i'd better try dancing on ice before i say it. :D
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Just wondering, how long does it take for a new floor to become less slippery?

The new place in our town has some type of sprung bamboo floor. It was extremely slippery when they opened about 6 weeks ago, and it is still closer to ice skating rink than the ballroom floor. It is slowly becoming less slippery, especially in the area where people dance more, but it's still too slippery.
  9. QPO

QPO New Member

nearly every day floor we are on is slippery, I have gone to using castor oil and it has been wonderful. It gives me great confidence to stride it out otherwise I would be doing pitty patty steps, I have done the splits so many times it is just not good for my mature body :p
  10. Yanou,

What is the name of this powder? Can please refer me the website where I can order this Anti-slip powder please
  11. Yanou

Yanou Member

Here's the link. Looks like danceshopper.com is the only store that carries this product in the U.S.
    http://www.danceshopper.com/dance-supplies.VITOTAL_Anti-Slip_Powder

I also found out that mopping the floor with pine sol solution works well probably because of the same reason sugary water works.
  12. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Just wondering, has anyone used ShurGrip before?
  13. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Sorry, just realised that you mentioned it right in the first post. :(

Mmm...I just bought the ShurGrip and anti-slip powder from DanceShopper but still, would like to try out the sugar water just to be on the safe side. Many couples have fallen while dancing on the floor of this competition, even the professional couples so yeah, I am kind of paranoid about it.

How much sugar should I add to how much water? Will it attract ants to my dance shoes?
  14. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Some help please? I need to try the sugar water tomorrow...