How to flirt, and why.

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by toothlesstiger, Nov 2, 2011.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

a good dance and a good flirtation share the same soul.

2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Well, if you just want to dance, I suppose just asking them should work just fine. ;-)

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

what? WHAT? I often dance and cook at the same time. Kitchen Dance!

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I get the feeling WW isn't quite as coordinated--or have the same amount of experience--at it as you.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Not to mention if you're having a bad day already, why tempt fate? THAT will be the day the cat's underfoot and the phone's ringing while the pot's boiling over and you forget the handle's not insulated....

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

and surely with your trademark head tilt as well? ;)

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

seriously, right? :cool:

8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Why, that's just an opportunity to practice my floorcraft!

9. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

i double dare you to moon walk in the kitchen with a wobbly Gateau.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hah.

include me in the category of kitchen dancers...

as for flirting... i tend to uniformly & spontaneously express appreciation of all sorts to both men & women, in ways that could be construed as flirting but definitely has no sexual or romantic charge behind it, whatsoever.

by contrast, i very-rarely-almost-never flirt with enticing intent because i associate it with seduction, which i would invoke only when i mean it. :cool: my closets have been long-decluttered of all remnant drama that may have found its way there through irresponsible or unconscious use of my...enticing...energies. and i am happy to keep them that way, thank-you-very-much.

okay, so here's a question for the group... what do you think the boundary is between flirtation and seduction?

11. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I consider flirtation to be more playful. Seduction implies to be a bit more intensity. Seduction can employ elements that are not a part of flirting, foremost of which is creation of the right ambience of sensation (sensual would be the right word, but connotations have drifted away from its original meaning). It could include gifts, clothing, food, atmosphere...

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

so... cha-cha as opposed to...tango? :cool:

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I kitchen dance too.:)

14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

its the difference between the way an octopus catches a fish and an an angler fish catches its prey

the latter lures; the former just suckers her/him in....

15. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

a kiss.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I would say touch is involved, but not necessarily kiss.

There's a guy who's had a crush on me for ... I don't know ... a year? I've flirted with him but, as I have mentioned several times, I'm not dating, so I haven't taken things any further. Anyway. One day last week, I came to work in an exuberant mood. When I ran into him in the cafeteria that morning, we got into conversation about something, and I unintentionally, reflexively touched him, casually on the arm.

Oh.my.goodness! Things are now on a totally different level that may need to be de-escalated. I didn't mean to touch the guy, fer goodness sake.

17. j_alexandra

puh-lease. I did this yesterday.

repeatedly.

18. j_alexandra

THIS! THIS! I've been told often and by completely different kinds of people that I flirt all the time. Could have fooled me, but apparently, other people construe my behavior -- what Samina refers to as uniformly & spontaneously express[ing] appreciation, as flirtation. Intent. And context. They're crucial. Flirting with intent is seduction.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i've known intense seduction exerted in my direction that involved no physical contact.

and is seduction always overtly sexual? i think not...emotional seduction is probably used far more frequently, by both sexes.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. (couldn't find any more ways to emphasize unless i increased the font size. :cool:)