How to flirt, and why.

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by toothlesstiger, Nov 2, 2011.

1. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

When I was young, it was normal for Italian men to dance together freestyle, much as women do in the U.S. Yet Italian culture has more than its fair share of machismo and homophobia.
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Latin cultures do appear to be more touchy, hugs...kisses...
  3. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i have to challenge the definition as i perceive to have been presented:

flirting is solely about making the other person feel better about themselves. it is effective when it is genuine and done without expectation of benefit in return. a flirt may become more popular as an individual, but that is a byproduct of being a successful flirt.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. I think that flirting is like sex. It's about making the other person feel better but, in the process, I feel better, too. *shrug*
  5. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Maybe dancing is your way of flirting!
  6. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I have never been a toucher but a lot of that has changed since I got into dancing. I have become much more comfortable with touching both men and women. Women respond very well to mild touching -- like for instance a pat on the back after a dance while telling them how enjoyable it was to dance with them. I don't think that is interpreted by women as flirting as much as a sign of sincerity or caring. Women by nature are more touchy and feeley than men.

Women like to know that us men notice them so it never hurts to find something to compliment them on. They especially like it when we say something nice about their shoes -- but if we compliment them on their beautiful toenail polish that would probably be interpreted as flirting. There is a fine line between flirting and just being sociable.
  7. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

It's a broadly accepted fact that dancing is a form of foreplay.
  8. pygmalion

Three billy goats gruff.
  9. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

. . . a pat on the back after a dance, really?
  10. pygmalion

Please don't feed the troll.
  11. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

It can be used as foreplay, just like I can wear perfume because I like it, or I can wear perfume that I think will entice men. *shrug* Its like when I wear a dress to go out and get all pissed off when I get hit on. I shouldn't have worn the dress? I wanted to look and feel good. I didn't want to give the impression I was on the market.
  12. wonderwoman

I'm starting to wonder if I should try to hug people more often. People like hugs. I hate them, I think they're awkward. Hugs are for family members. Its probably no wonder people think I'm cold. They try to hug me and get a tense one armed half hug.
  13. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Hm. Not sure I agree. To me, you've just defined charm, not flirting. IMHO, flirting is about me (and you). Charm is about you.
  14. toothlesstiger

I'm with j_alexandra on this one. If a cute girl bites her lip at me with intent, it is very, very effective flirting, but feeling better about myself is definitely not a result. :raisebro:
  15. pygmalion

Too funny! When DS and I were at the mall yesterday, we got into a conversation about him and girls, specifically why he doesn't have a GF and why he doesn't seem to be pursuing one.

He said, "Mom. When I see pretty girls, I feel nothing." For the rest of the evening at the mall, every single time he saw one of the many, many pretty girls at the mall, he didn't do anything. He just said to me, "I feel nothing, Mom. I feel nothing." That's how I knew he didn't feel nothing. The boy is going down, and soon, if my guess is on target.

Flirting works. :lol: ETA: And, btw, there are some darn pretty girls his age out there, running loose at the mall. What are their parents thinking? :lol:
  16. toothlesstiger

Lucky you that you have a boy. ;-) I'm making it a requirement that any boy my daughters want to date must be invited to dinner and see me cook. With large knives. And lots of high flames.
  17. pygmalion

:lol: Amen and hallelujah!!
  18. wonderwoman

In far too little clothing lol
  19. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Perfect, I take them out back to help split firewood . . . nothing like an axe, a chain saw and a glow in my eye . . . I love my job.
  20. pygmalion

Yes to this. These little girls look like women. Scary.