How to get a dancer's body

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by llamasarefuzzy, Dec 9, 2013.

1. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Jenna Mills, DesireeDC and ajiboyet like this.
  2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Glad you go to geek out - right now I'm doing that over learning about how big bands learned how to "swing " and the issues related to the dancing that was done, etc, etc,

Without reading the article (my bad?), just a very quick look, my initial reaction is... what about all the dancers who don't have "dancers bodies," meaning the body type that is idolized in DanceSport and ballet?

Going to a hip hop audition (as an observer) years ago was a great eye opener for me. A mutitude of body types were represented. If this article was headlined with somethng like - how to get the physiology of a dancer - I would not be having this reaction.

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  3. llamasarefuzzy

Yeah, not so much a fan of the title... Does seem to imply that one cannot be a dancer without that physique. On the other hand, most ( if not all) high level (as in world finals) dancers, especially in the junior/adult categories do have that body type. It isn't necessary to be a great dancer, but I feel like if someone really wants to make it at an elite level, it is either just going to happen because of how they are training or they are specifically going to make it happen because to some extent, that is what the norm is and not looking like the norm risks judging marks.

Jenna Mills likes this.
  4. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

There's the science of the article (which is excellent) and the philosophy at the beginning and end of the article (which is not so excellent). He writes that "The appearance of dancer’s body can be achieved through yoga, Pilates, proper nutrition, and resistance training." No form of exercise will change your body type; it will only make you stronger, more flexible, and possibly leaner. Looking at highly competitive ballroom dancers as he does, he neglects the cultural selection that happens in the ballroom world: those who have certain body types are more likely to be encouraged and rewarded than those who don't have those body types. It's not really the point of the article, which almost makes we want to ignore it, but it does contribute to a culture of conformity and looks that is discouraging for a lot of people, which is why I think we're having a negative reaction. The philosophy of a few words in his article is getting in the way of his science message, which is unfortunate.

In my opinion, the best way to get a "dancer's body" is to learn how to move like a dancer: with strength, grace, energy, and rhythm. In terms of training, train for the type of movement you want to be able to do. The science he is presenting points to this message, so it's a shame he couldn't keep the overall message along these lines.

5. llamasarefuzzy

Completely agree with all those points. I got so very excited about the physiology and the primary sources that I overlooked those messages the first time around. It is too bad that some people have the preconceived notion that only the very lean can be dancers, because it just isn't true and the community would be missing out on a lot of talent if we ignored everyone who was more than a size 2.

6. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

Coincidentally, I just came across this video today. It's the freestyle dance of the most recent winner of Dancing With The Stars, Amber Riley. She's the first female winner (in the US version of the show at least) who is "full figured."

7. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I wrote the article. The message of the article is this: If you just want the appearance of a dancer, that's easy enough to achieve. But there's more to the body of a dancer than what can be seen. High-level competitive dancers have fit bodies, and anaerobic activity is the way to achieve that.

8. llamasarefuzzy

I loved the science in the article vcolfari! It lined up very well with my exams that I have to take next week

vcolfari likes this.
  9. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I'm glad you enjoyed it, llamasarefuzzy! Thanks for the kind words and best of luck with your exams :)

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

meh....I do all that in spades...probably more than most dancers...real answer is; eat almost nothing and only healthy stuff when you do...and everybody knows it...not advocating it...just stating a fact

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  11. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

It depends on what you intend to achieve. Low body mass is achieved by manipulating energy intake and expenditure. Food quality is irrelevant. Macronutrient ratio plays a role in body composition. Exercise promotes fitness but may not be useful if low body mass is a goal, particularly if excessive activity results in compensatory behavior like overeating.

12. fascination

yes...IME most successful dancers have low body mass to which they add an exercise program which compliments their goals...but, most of it is about intake and about specifically what that intake is...IMV...

13. RookieDancer

RookieDancer New Member

Good article. When I clicked on the link, I was expecting to read a lot of broscience but was pleasantly surprised.

vcolfari likes this.
  14. CDH

CDH New Member

What I need to know is how to get a 'non dancers' body as it seems I never can put on any weight at all and it takes so much effort to gain even a bit of weight...sigh!

15. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I disagree that that Dancesport is an anaerobic activity. That is true if you only look at the short bursts of competition dancing, as the study did. As we know, however, there are actually many hours of practice and lessons required to reach that proficiency level. Usually anything you see a dancer do, in performance, is just the tip of the iceberg of the real work. Dancers don't stay thin and fit because of bursts of competition dancing, but because of hours of practice and rehearsal. And some people work very,very hard in practice and some just coast.

16. vit

vit Active Member

Yeah, the article is quite short insight into it, so it can't give very complete picture.
    But it was useful to me at least in a way that I checked some articles in Wikipedia. I didn't know that there are 2 types of muscle fibres - for aerobic and for anaerobic activity

17. llamasarefuzzy

Surprisingly, though, practices don't tend to be as aerobically active as one might think. At least in my practice, it is a lot of slow, careful practice with time to analyze in between. One would have to be practicing consecutive rounds at competition intensity to get a good cardio workout in. Otherwise, it just doesn't have the METload required to be a good cardio workout.
    In my experience, dancers don't stay thin and fit solely because of dance. They stay fit through other physical activity as well as dance, and stay thin through decreased caloric intake. Practicing and lessons just aren't vigorous enough to burn the kind of calories needed to stay very, very thin.

dancelvr, vcolfari and Bailamosdance like this.
  18. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Yes, but the activity during hours of practice is intermittent. This is not "aerobic" training.

Consider the glycolytic and oxidative energy systems. How often, even during practice, do you dance for more than a few minutes without stopping? For most dancers, practice is more like interval training than "cardio."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  19. Dancy

Dancy New Member

Very interesting and informative article, thank you for sharing.

20. fascination

puh...real answer is pretty much give up most food most of the time...because I do all of that and more and it doesn't work unless you also severely limit your intake...or are ridiculously fortunate

Kelly Long and dancelvr like this.