How to get the most from your dance lessons

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by wonderwoman, Feb 2, 2010.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Susan Pierson likes this.
  2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I find that working towards showcases inspires me to do better, because my dancing will be seen. It's like when I got writing published: Knowing that someone would see it made me work harder...
  3. DrivenSubstance

DrivenSubstance New Member

great idea to start a thread on this!!!

I find to get value for money is to plan the training day before what you want to work on in the next lesson, which I think is also covered in that article with having the right mindset.

bookmarked:)
  4. roxie333

roxie333 New Member

I was told that to get the most out of my lessons, I should practice 3 hours for every 1 hour of lessons I take ..........
    lauræ likes this.
  5. Jim Chad

Jim Chad New Member

The tip about writing down notes about lessons is terrific!

This week, I started taking notes. It definitely helped me retain it. It always frustrated me that I would learn something in class and not be able to remember it the next time I was dancing.

Thanks for the link to the article.
    Susan Pierson likes this.
  6. Similar to this, when I was a kid, my violin teacher (and my mom) both constantly told me that for every time the teacher corrected me on something, I needed to go back and practice it 10 times by myself. Slave drivers, they both were. :)
  7. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

We always put in 4 hours practice for every 1 hour lesson. Our teacher always knew if we hadn't. A threat of losing our lesson slot would be used if we failed to improve!

A goal is a must, showcase or comp is a great incentive, making notes is a good idea but some teachers get irritated if you are stopping and jotting every five minutes in a lesson!
  8. Jim Chad

Jim Chad New Member

I never thought of writing during a lesson. I dictate into my phone after the lesson. And I am sure I don't remember everything. But I certainly get a lot more than I used to.
  9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Bought a new pretty little notebook to put notes in after practice and lessons. I've started this before, and got out of the habit after about two lessons, but I'm going to try it again. It was nice after our practice today, I wrote down the specific problems we have so I can be sure to ask about them at our next lesson, instead of spending half the lesson trying to remember what it was that was so troublesome when I should be paying attention. :)
  10. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I've had mixed results with notes. My now social studio always put major emphasis on choreography in group lessons rather than technique, and it was darn near impossible to remember an entire lesson from one week to the next without writing down what we did. Also, near as I can tell, the owner never followed a formal syllabus - class content seemed pretty random.

Problem was I'd forget my notebook or leave it in my briefcase or whatever, so I didn't always have my notes handy to review.

DP and I now take privates with a pro at a different studio who puts a lot of emphasis on technique and does follow a syllabus, so I don't note a whole lot of things - just a small jot, if any, to remind me of certain details.

DP and I must increase our practice time but our current schedules make that difficult - I work afternoons and evenings and she travels around the country almost weekly...
  11. ballroomdance201

ballroomdance201 New Member

I think competitions are the best way to go. If you're serious about learning, aim for 3-4 per year.

Thanks,
    Matt
  12. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

If your serious about comps try at least one a week, you'll improve!;)
  13. frotes

frotes Member

Practice in the kitchen, in your room, in the restroom... etc :)
    chomsky likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

just not on your roof
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

my practice space: in our block of flats, on the entrance the floor is a polished marble. Passers-by can only see me in daylight so when it's night I just put off the lights and start practicing...
  16. Carna

Carna New Member

I jot down stuff in a notebook after dance lessons, and I prepare questions to ask my instructor at the next lesson. That way nothing is lost, and we have an ongoing dialogue. As the amateur in a pro/am team, I am not "allowed" to practice on my own. He says it leads to mistakes that have to be unlearned later which costs time and money.
  17. chomsky

welcome to df! allow me to differ, I have a very different experience, I need to practice on my own. Sorry, but I disagree with your pro on that!
  18. Carna

Carna New Member

Interesting. How do you practice on your own?
  19. chomsky

I review what I was taught imagining my partner's moves and focusing on mine. I do many other things as well, as drills, trying to find the beat, etc.
  20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Agreed. I'm dancing pro-am at the moment, and practice on my own 6-10 hours a week... with a one hour lesson. I have drills, routines, technique points, etc. to work on. I see it as my job to review what we went over in lessons, and get it "down" before I show up for the next one.

I'm both encouraged and expected to do solo work. I even get homework at the end of my lessons - generally a list of things I'm supposed to work on that week, which is in addition to the regular drills and exercises I've been given, and any run-throughs I want to do or stuff I want to work on.

The only restriction that's been placed on my solo practice - don't practice standard at home anymore. Latin is fine, but I don't have enough space for standard. It was giving me some bad habits re: step size and movement. I'm supposed to go to the studio for standard. Headed there shortly, actually.
    chomsky likes this.