How to remove makeup stain from tailsuit?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Standarddancer, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

At last comp, was a small collision with another couple so somehow that girl's makeup ended on the sleeve of DP's new tailsuit. Since the tailor who made the suit specifically advised "dry clean as little as possible" (he believes dry cleaner might use some chemicals damages the delicate fabric of the tail), we are thinking of other alternatives to clean by hand (just spot clean to remove the makeup stain), but not sure what to use to remove this makeup stain. Any ideas? Tailsuit is made of Wool Garbadine.

I had used something called "kiss off" and another soap to successfully removed makeup stains from my dress, just wondering if tailsuit can be spot cleaned same way as dress?

2. Sania

Sania Active Member

have you tried gently brushing with a toothbrush or even a dry washcloth? brush both with and across the grain of the gabardine

Is it foundation, or lipstick?

3. Standarddancer

Foundation

4. Standarddancer

I've used toothbrush to brush clean the shirt collars with cleaning soap, was working, not sure if wool Garbadine can also be brushed with small brush or toothbrush. Will try if no other ways.

5. Sania

Sania Active Member

I would try it dry first - if it is powdery, it might just brush off with patience, no water or soap required

If that does not work I might try a little liquid soap (woolite?) in cold water on a washcloth - barely enough to dampen - but use your own judgment!

6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

You could bring it to a cleaner's and ask them just to spot-clean, perhaps?

7. pruthe

pruthe Member

Maybe best to ask tail suit tailor for his advice.

8. Standarddancer

I cleaned it out. The dry brush method didn't work out. I used a toothbrush dipped into a laundry soap with a little bit water and spot cleaned it. Thanks for the toothbrush method!

Also thanks for suggesting contact tailor, was about to call him if still hasn't figured out how to clean by now.

9. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

=How do you suppose to refresh the tail suit, if not dry cleaning. My partner tail is normally soaked with sweat after the competition, and as salt deposits all over, i had tried steam cleaning, but it does not produce same results as dry cleaning

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Does he wear a T-shirt under his pique-front shirt?

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

nike dry wick technology or under armour​