How we relate to each other

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AndaBien, Jun 15, 2012.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I knew there was something I liked about her.

[​IMG]
  2. rain_dog

rain_dog Member

I thought it was Adios Muchachos you're not supposed to dance to?
  3. dchester

It is, but BTM has his own codes.

[​IMG]
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Yes; Codigo#74; you dont dance tango to requiems.
  5. dchester

I wish someone had told me that sooner. Now I'll need to take the Verdi Requiem out of my playlist that I made last night for the next practica.

:headwall:
  6. bordertangoman

its so annoying, especially the Gotan version of Purcell's Funeral March for Mary Queen of Scots
  7. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

See? That's what you get for playing all that alternative stuff.
  8. bordertangoman

what alternative stuff...I rarely play Piazzolla or Gotan. don't know what you're talking about. ;)
  9. dchester

What can I say. I like Luciano Pavarotti's voice better than Roberto Chanel's.

[​IMG]
  10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

11. Dancing with a bent knee lowers your center of gravity, keeps you more balanced and relaxed, and frees up your legs to do with them what you want and creates a smooth level dance without the bobbing and bouncing that comes with dancing on a straight leg. Personally, I don't like to dance straight legged to most modern music because it usually creates too much tension for the music. I think the straight leg technique is better for Biagi or D' Arienzo where you have sharper rhythms.

Gabriela has a soft, flowing style that would seem to work better with a bent knee, but she may dance different to other music.
  12. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Active Member

Firstly, I don't believe anyone suggested dancing on straight legs or heaven forbids, locked knees would be a proper thing to do. Secondly, it is entirely possible to bobble and bounce on bent knees, I have seen that many times. Thirdly, you are absolutely right that bending the knees makes the center of gravity lower. That is the reason why beginners often do that-- they haven't yet learned how to keep their balance without making themselves smaller, their legs shorter, and breaking their lines.
    The thing to learn, as part of the proper technique, would be the articulation of the knees, as well as all the other joints (and so much healthier, less tiring for the latter), knowing when to bend and when to straighten.
    Lastly, if dancing on bent knees is her choice and her style preference, she does not have to take me upon my offer. ;)
  13. opendoor

Besides personal preferences:

Historically bendings rather belong to Biagi and d´Arienzo whereas dancing with straight leg as well as bobbing was characteristic for tango de salón.

So true, Lilly
  14. bordertangoman

why do you think this? It is not logical. What evidence is there for it?
  15. opendoor

16. bordertangoman

yes but I beleive you to be German, and Germans do not make illogical statements.
    FRom what you have said you may induce:

A) Tango salon is not danced to Biagi or D'Areinzo
    B) If one hears Biagi or D'Areinzo one must dance with more knee bend.

and "I think the straight leg technique is better for Biagi or D' Arienzo where you have sharper rhythms. "

again this may be your preference, but there are plenty of sharp rhythms in milonga where straightening the knee is not a pre-requisite.
  17. opendoor

B: dance as YOU like!
    A: dont let us confuse dancing styles and music styles.

The Golden Age started with a new music style that was clearly different from the prevailing old-school deCarian salón style. This new style is related to the tango-milonga-style which was played before deCaro (tempo, 2/4 signature..). And because halls of sports club could easily be filled with this new style it was called club style. Dont ask me who invented it. Perhaps d´Arienzo. But every orchestra of that period produced club style tracks. Simultaneously all those orchestras kept on recording tango de salón. But this style was produced for a different audience though the styles actually may have been mixed on the dance floor.
  18. opendoor

2 min editing time are over:

Simply wanted to add

To know the truth of history is to realize its myths (Roy P. Basler)
  19. bordertangoman

so the story that tan go was invented by Welsh settlers on their way to Patagonia is true then.
    tan go = tân goch ="red fire"
  20. opendoor

understand: tango on the rocks (tân goch uisge)